: The Catera Forum

elvin315
03-19-08, 05:52 PM
:thumbsup:thanks for the info & wtf is up with all these advertizmnts, i know they help pay for the site but $hite making posts harder to read..

I think they should switch to one of the other style forums... they are free and about 10x better for the users... I personaly hate the way this forum is set up...

Check out the Omega Owners Forum to see how much better it is...

I disagree. We just don't use it as it was meant to be. The section we use is meant for general Catera/Cimarron discussion. There are other sections for Cadillac engines, suspensions, electrical, and other topics. There is a classifieds section and a photo album we rarely use. We mostly choose to do all that here. It's true, the Catera has precious little in common with the rest of the Cadillac lines but afterall it is CadillacOwners.com, not CateraOwners.com.

The Catera forum on Yahoo is exclusively Catera but seems more a place to ask for technical help and less for friendly chatter. It's also prone to Spamming.

The British Omega sites offer a ton of information we can use and I steer people to them often. Beyond answering questions about the problems common to both cars they can't help much with making performance improvements or updating the styling. They have sources we don't. They also have more Omegas and used part at their disposals.

At least here on the CadillacOwners site we have a place to gather and share Catera information. It was here that the GTO brake upgrade was developed, tested, and proven. Here that the 3.8 V6 and 5.7 V8 swaps have been discussed and encouraged. Here that the exploration of which GTO parts will fit the Catera is ongoing. Unless one of you has the means and skill to create an exclusively Catera site I say don't bite the hand that feeds us. If the advertisements bother you, pay the dues and join.

Elvin

cateraowner
03-19-08, 06:42 PM
I honestly I've made peace with the ads, but my issue is the popups whenever you go into the classified section ( and every time you view an classified ad so you'd have 10 pop ups if you veiw 10 ads) I am a big fan of the classified section with all forums I'm on, but I steer away from this one just because of it.

and chances are since there is so little of us there isn't really a point to make a dedicated site for us.

CateraMV6
03-19-08, 08:21 PM
Elvin I think you are right, we cant afford to loose what we got so far... My two favorite forums are the OOF and this one, the Yahoo one is somewhat hard to understand especialy with the way its set up...

I belong to another group of forums from the Dodge family and I love the way they set up that one... everything has its folders... where as here I sometimes go to look at the engine forum and there is stuff from every model and never what I am looking for... I know this forum gets way overloaded with a ton of info but I almost rather have it all in the same place... at least you know its all here and you just got to dig for it...

I guess the advertisements never really bothered me.. they are just there, I hardly ever notice or try to read whats on them... but I guess as you said if you dont like them pay up and they will be gone...

I will look into setting up a new Cat forum where we can run all our stuff... and maybe we can all populate the place there... I just need to get back to school so I can find some more free time for it...

CateraMV6
03-19-08, 08:25 PM
Well highly theoretically if we do create a new forum what would you guys like it to be called... I think its going to have to be a .org or something....

CateraMV6
03-19-08, 08:35 PM
Well what the heck lets do it... I just got thinking about it... we will need a ton of help but why not do it... lets figure out who knows what and we can start one of these... I know a friend who built an entire forum by himself.... took him a lot of time but got it up and going...

We will need moderators and a free virtual server to hold all the data and handle the traffic... I am all for it... We can make it exactly the way we like it and we can create our own community...

MaesMV6
03-19-08, 10:09 PM
i wouldn't say we need a whole new forum. but if someone was to collect a lot of the problems on this forum, and sub catoragize them onto another forum. the people that know everything about the car (elvin, i see him post information on almost everyone's problem) would make it a lot easier just to drop the html address in the post and then whoever would be able to find solutions easier.

i do love these forums, but sometimes it does get annoying to go back 50 pages 1 page at a time to find a fix to my problems

CateraMV6
03-19-08, 10:20 PM
Well I looked into it and there is a thing called PHPBB which makes forums... pretty customizable the only issue I have is finding a free web hosting service... and what we can do is create a forum with links and problems categorized, it will make it much easier to sort things out and to find things... the only think I am worried about is the maintenance of the page... who is going to keep track of all the things that get posted...

cateraowner
03-19-08, 11:01 PM
well it would definatly take a lot of time.

but I think the omega owner site has the right idea, with the walk throughs it's own section

oh and another thing I find annoying with this forum, and I think it causes a lot of duplicate posts ... it's the search engine. it's horrible. it doesn't seem to reduce anything

srinne
03-20-08, 11:17 AM
Here is a link to a Pontiac Fiero Forum that I am a member of:

http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

I think the new forum should be organized very simliar to this one....it is very easy to use.

mrplease
03-21-08, 12:39 AM
i think this might be the best forum period on the web.

just pay the measly 5 bucks a month and you won't have any of those problems...

andergar
03-21-08, 08:27 AM
I must wholeheartly agree with you Elvin! This is a great forum! There have been many times I have needed information, and the many wonderful members of this forum, have helped me out immensely. I bow down and worship this site daily. All hail!

andergar

Army_MP_From_MO
03-22-08, 11:11 PM
I have to agree too. Why would we want to have a splinter faction? There are guys who don't even own a Catera that put their knowledge of issues involving one, do we expect them to follow us to another forum?

srinne
03-23-08, 06:26 PM
I have to chime in here...This forum is not a good forum. Yes, forums are great for many reasons. The worst thing for a forum is when nobody ever posts on them (they just die). Have you ever looked at different areas of the cadillac owners forums...some of them are almost dead. It will go several days/weeks before another member posts a reply.

I am a current member of clubgp.com and pennock's fiero forum--I was a member of each before I owned a Grand Prix or Fiero. They provide a forum that is much easier to use. The fiero forum does not have a Ton of Ads that slow down the forums. The Grand Prix forum, has a ton of people that post threads and reply.

If a forum wants to survive, they will have to be appealing for the users. Putting advertisements all over the postings, errors on almost every page, pop-up ads on some pages, making it very difficult to navigate, and charging people a monthly fee will turn a lot of people away. This is the internet, not a magizine subscription. The moderators, editors, and creators of this forum should take note from more successful forums and make this site more user friendly to ensure that members will continue to stay active.

Think about it, would you rather surf through this forum....or would you rather surf through a forum with three times the number of members (3x the number of ideas, 3x the build threads, 3x the upgrades threads, 3x classifieds, 3x etc.)

------------------------------------------------
I am a new member. I looked at this forum, and I tried to find another Catera forum to join instead. I couldn't find one. My choice was either post here or not post at all. (I wonder how many other potential members thought the same thing and came to a different decision)
------------------------------------------------

I also understand that it not only takes members to keep a forum alive, it also takes money. Here are some ideas to keep the forum properly funded:
- have a store. Sell hats, shirts, parts, etc for profit
- put one or two small advertisment links at the top of the forum that are catera related (not everywhere).
- have a rating system of the members and have one that says "donating member". People that want to donate will. If the forum grows to 20,000 members and only 2% donate $15.00 via paypal, then it will have collected around $6,000.00. This would be well enough money to keep it going for several years.

srinne
03-23-08, 06:52 PM
Well highly theoretically if we do create a new forum what would you guys like it to be called... I think its going to have to be a .org or something....

This one is still available:
www,cateraclub,com

(it probably wont be for long if too many people read this)

TSS
03-23-08, 06:53 PM
I also understand that it not only takes members to keep a forum alive, it also takes money. Here are some ideas to keep the forum properly funded:
- have a rating system of the members and have one that says "donating member". People that want to donate will. If the forum grows to 20,000 members and only 2% donate $15.00 via paypal, then it will have collected around $6,000.00. This would be well enough money to keep it going for several years.
\
We have that. It is called a supporting member. And, as a bonus, the ads viewed by supporting memebrs are reduced. 5 bucks a month to be a supporting member. You can commit month by month if you choose.

investor74
03-29-08, 11:11 PM
Can we get a picture for our forum similar to the current Cadillac owners?:)

Thanks.

urbanski
03-30-08, 07:47 AM
then it will have collected around $6,000.00. This would be well enough money to keep it going for several years.

you truly have no clue what running a forum costs do you?

talk about starting a competing forum is clearly against our rules.
end.