: The Maggie just arrived but have a question??

csp3000
03-19-08, 12:14 AM
Ok, my polished Maggie just arrived today:cloud9: I will be installing it either tomorrow of Thursday. I wanted to know that when I do the pulley swap 2.8 to 2.6 will I have to retune the V or can I get away with the tune that Magna Charger sent with it. I am going to put a more aggressive tune in a little bit. I would do it sooner but the guy I goto wont be around for like 3 weeks. So basiclly I want to know will it be safe to do the pulley swap with the Magna Charger tune or just wait to do the pully swap untill my guy gets back to do my dyno tune?

onebadcad
03-19-08, 12:57 AM
Chris,
Do not swap the pulley until you are ready to have your car tuned, as you do not want higher boost with unsafe tune.
Just for kicks, install the 2.8 but grind the snout. Then have a base pull with the Superchips tune, then a run with the tuned 2.8, and then a run with the 2.6 tuned (get a Gatorback belt sized for the 2.6)-this should prove the benefits of the smaller pulley and a good tune.
Good luck with your additional power, I know one guy in WPB who ain't going to like getting whipped again, and again, and again,,,

csp3000
03-19-08, 01:13 AM
^^^^^ Thanks Darren the help...:thumbsup: Hey I am going to be in your area on the 30th & we should get together. I am going down to this car show beach party at Hobie Beach in Key Biscayne. Lots of food and drinks and nice stuff to look at... Oh and some really nice cars too...lol

csp3000
03-19-08, 01:15 AM
Good luck with your additional power, I know one guy in WPB who ain't going to like getting whipped again, and again, and again,,,

Hmmmm I think I know that guy too...:)

rand49er
03-19-08, 09:51 AM
... install the 2.8 but grind the snout. ...Good idea. Though it can be done while installed on the car, might be easier off the car plus shavings and particles won't get on everything.

Are you going to install it one day? :worship: Took me several. :bang2:

LUVMY04V
03-19-08, 10:06 AM
wow a maggie how exciting :thumbsup:

Your car has to be my favorite silver V ever now :worship:

faylix
03-19-08, 12:06 PM
Cant wait to see it chris... We should all get up this weekend!

onebadcad
03-19-08, 02:39 PM
We should all get up this weekend!

Kick some ideas around, I cannot do anything this weekend, but believe next weekend is free and clear.

odla
03-19-08, 06:51 PM
Hobie Beach in Key Biscayne
can you give more details time cost?
thanks

nikon
03-19-08, 10:48 PM
Good idea. Though it can be done while installed on the car, might be easier off the car plus shavings and particles won't get on everything.

Are you going to install it one day? :worship: Took me several. :bang2:

lol, he doesn't even own a toolbox....

and just wait fckers, just wait, I'll be 6-700$ in for spray and I'll woup ya......whilst it's costing you more than that to install your blower :yup:

victory will be mine :lildevil:

Luna.
03-20-08, 12:10 AM
Ok, my polished Maggie just arrived today:cloud9: I will be installing it either tomorrow of Thursday. I wanted to know that when I do the pulley swap 2.8 to 2.6 will I have to retune the V or can I get away with the tune that Magna Charger sent with it. I am going to put a more aggressive tune in a little bit. I would do it sooner but the guy I goto wont be around for like 3 weeks. So basiclly I want to know will it be safe to do the pulley swap with the Magna Charger tune or just wait to do the pully swap untill my guy gets back to do my dyno tune?

The tune that I got, and many others got way back when, from Magnasun was utter garbage. The A/F ratios were stunningly off and the power bordered on pathetic. Was very disappointing...

In any case, I'd baby the ever living hell out of it if you change the pulley without changing the tune. Actually, I probably wouldn't even drive it until that takes place. It doesn't take much in the supercharged world for motors to go ka-bang...

You might have to grind some to allow for the 2.6" pulley to fit and belt slip is a common issue with the 2.6" pulley (yours truly experienced it badly; dyno day at A&A Corvette clearly demonstrated belt slip and loss of boost, which resulted in a significant loss of power).

Another thing to consider is that overspinning the maggie will put increased stress on the belt. I spun 1 belt and lost ~50% of another before I took action. I went to an 8-rib setup all the way around, which I would recommend in this situation (& that isn't necessarily cheap).

Looking back, maybe I should have gone the 2.6" pulley route, with an 8-rib setup from minute one. As the first problem I had was beltslip, I changed to the oversized crankshaft pulley (which actually gives a hair more boost) and went back to the 2.8" pulley. Beltslip appeared gone, but then the belt issues started popping up. I went to an 8-rib system, with a high-performance belt, and those issues have disappeared.

Just some food for thought...

faylix
03-20-08, 11:07 AM
lol, he doesn't even own a toolbox....

and just wait fckers, just wait, I'll be 6-700$ in for spray and I'll woup ya......whilst it's costing you more than that to install your blower :yup:

I can already tell you what stop light to stop light is going to look like.

You and chris will spin your tires, and I will sail to victory.

Then we'll get on the highway, and thatll be the end fo that.

nikon
03-20-08, 01:11 PM
^^ naa, with the way I WANT to set it up it won't spray 1st.

theloanman219
03-20-08, 09:50 PM
congrats chris!

csp3000
03-21-08, 12:25 AM
Ok, all I have to say is WOW! I got the car back today and it is a beast:D With the safe tune from Magna Charger the car dynoed at 455 rwhp. The base line before was 364rwhp. I will post the dyno sheet tomorrow and some pic's. I will be getting a much better tune in two weeks that should free some HP. I am also doing a pulley swap then to compare and see how big the gain is. My cam and head package is almost set up and should be here in a month when I can afford it... lol.

csp3000
03-21-08, 12:28 AM

I am so sorry my brother but you are not going to win this race...:yup: Besides what will you do when the bottle runs out...:p

csp3000
03-21-08, 12:30 AM
I can already tell you what stop light to stop light is going to look like.

You and chris will spin your tires, and I will sail to victory.

Then we'll get on the highway, and thatll be the end fo that.

:tisk: it wont even be close...:p We should all get together this weekend like on Sat...:thumbsup:

faylix
03-21-08, 10:21 AM
:tisk: it wont even be close...:p We should all get together this weekend like on Sat...:thumbsup:

Toatlly down. Havnt seen your asses in a bit anyway.

nikon
03-21-08, 11:42 AM
I am so sorry my brother but you are not going to win this race...:yup: Besides what will you do when the bottle runs out...:p

It'll be ok, by that time you'll have broken your entire drivetrain :bouncy: :shhh:

Can't wait to go for a ride....hey, your comin to jess's party tonight right? Bring ding dong if you can, I'm sure he's already made a mess in your front seat after hearing the whine :highfive:

Luna.
03-21-08, 07:11 PM
Ok, all I have to say is WOW! I got the car back today and it is a beast:D With the safe tune from Magna Charger the car dynoed at 455 rwhp. The base line before was 364rwhp. I will post the dyno sheet tomorrow and some pic's. I will be getting a much better tune in two weeks that should free some HP. I am also doing a pulley swap then to compare and see how big the gain is. My cam and head package is almost set up and should be here in a month when I can afford it... lol.

Wow. I don't know if congratulations are in order or if that dyno is a little "loose," but 364 rwhp stock is pretty damn good.

91 rwhp from a maggie is rather feeble, so the weakness of the stock tune is probably rearing its ugly head a little. I would estimate you'll get 110-120 rwhp from the maggie when it's tuned.

I would remain cautious, however, at hoping for the rwhp # to shoot up when you change to the 2.6" pulley. It didn't for me, nor several other people that had it done. It goes up, but not by a lot.

What DOES go up, however, is the rwtq; the entire curve moves up to another level--THAT'S the true beauty of increasing the speed of the maggie (via 2.6" pulley or oversized crankshaft).

This is where you start (note, start) to feel sorry for the tires/pavement...it generates a smile that is both wide and involuntary.

Is it enough? Hard question. Personally, ALMOST, but not quite. I really feel that my sweet spot is about 500-550 rwhp. I'm within spitting distance, but not there...

Will the '09 V solve that delimma for me?? :thumbsup::bouncy: