: Northsatr question (years)

baggedimpala
05-22-04, 02:12 PM
Hi,
I have a 94 Deville with the Northtar, and I read all about these headgasket problems. Mine loses a little water, about 1/2 a gallon every 2 weeks. Being the random parts replacer that I am, I recently put on a new water pump and thermostat.

Anyway, my real question, is what year did Cadillac fix this problem with their motors? I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1998 Caddy Deville, but dont want to jump into anothe car with a possible head gasket problem.

Thanks for any help..

zonie77
05-22-04, 02:23 PM
There doesn't seem to be that many that have the head gasket problem and my understanding is they still use similar block, head, and bolt designs so (unless someone sez I'm wrong) don't think anything changed.

The "problem" doesn't seem to affect that many out of the millions made so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I've run into Fords, Blazers, and Mercedes in the last year or so with blown head gaskets too.

baggedimpala
05-22-04, 02:31 PM
ya... reading these boards and other sites on the net, it seems the problem is fairly common..

and I cannot find my water leak, not in the oil, coolant pressure tester didnt show any leaks, etc...

rrollo
05-22-04, 04:07 PM
I know this sounds simple, but did you replace the radiator cap? I had a similar but much less frequent problem with my 92 MB 300E.

zonie77
05-22-04, 05:27 PM
Try a compression test or better yet, a cylinder pressure test.

When the bolts start losing tension they act intermittently. They may seal OK for awhile , then leak, then seal again. This seems to be a combination of the corrosion of the steel fire ring and the expansion of the block as it heats. A cooling system test is low pressure and probably won't show anything.

It still is a good idea to check the cooling system thoroughly and not just jump on the headgaskets.

The N* doesn't put oil in the water until the head gasket is really failed. The design of the engine block is somewhat different than older engines.

RLLOVETT
05-22-04, 08:41 PM
Mine had hydrocarbons in the coolant which they found by waving the exhaust emission testing wand over the open coolant reservoir...it's supposed to run about 20-25 and mine was well over 200. And it's been using about a gallon a week--no leaking, just burning it. Good to know that our of all the engines out there, few blow their gaskets...lucky me!...

BeelzeBob
05-22-04, 11:22 PM
Was the coolant in your 94 replaced frequently earlier in it's life. Often mentioned in these discussions is the fact that the 93/94/95 engines seem much more prone to head gasket problems about now due to lack of cooling system maintenance causing internal corrosion and resulting head gasket failure. With the introduction of the DexCool coolant in the 96 and later engines the incidents of internal corrosion damage have been greatly reduced due to the long life characteristics of the corrosion inhibitors in the DexCool.

Are you running the GM Coolant supplement/sealer in the cooling system to stop any incidental leaks like you may be experiencing. Even if coolant is seeping at a headgasket the sealer will usually stop or dramatically slow the coolant usage/loss. Use 6 of the GM coolant supplement pellets/2 tubes of the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder installed in the radiator hose NOT the surge tank.

Hi,
I have a 94 Deville with the Northtar, and I read all about these headgasket problems. Mine loses a little water, about 1/2 a gallon every 2 weeks. Being the random parts replacer that I am, I recently put on a new water pump and thermostat.

Anyway, my real question, is what year did Cadillac fix this problem with their motors? I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1998 Caddy Deville, but dont want to jump into anothe car with a possible head gasket problem.

Thanks for any help..

baggedimpala
05-23-04, 12:32 AM
I bought the car at 91K miles, now at 94K miles, so it service history is unknown to me..
when I changed the pump, I was coerced into adding a qaurt of "Block sealer".. followed the directions with that.... then when putting in fresh antifreeze, I added 6 of the pellets and a tube of the barsleak gold...
If it were a headgasket burning 1/2 a gallon a week, wouldnt it show itself in the form of clouds of smoke behind me?
My daily commute is 2 trips at 12 miles each...

I never did replace the rad cap...

zonie77
05-23-04, 02:23 PM
That amount of water won't show up anywhere. You won't see it in the oil and you won't see a cloud of steam either.