: 1999 Caddy stalls while driving

1999caddy
05-22-04, 01:16 PM
My 1999 Caddy stalls while I am driving. Usually it stalls as I take my foot off the gas. I have seen GM customer complaints for this problem with no problem resolution. Does anyone have an answer for this problem

El Dobro
05-22-04, 02:55 PM
The most common answer for a fix is to replace the crank sensors.

Chrisfor172
05-22-04, 11:15 PM
:cool: The same thing happened to my 94 Seville. As I took my foot off the gas pedeal, the car would stall. I found out my transmission fluid level was very low. After I added fluid, the problem went away. Does it ride rough? Also try warming up your car before heading off.

BeelzeBob
05-22-04, 11:30 PM
The most common answer for a fix is to replace the crank sensors.

Possible....but not likely......

Crank sensors were a known problem with numerous service bulletins and updates on the 2000 and later Northstar engines....but this is a 1999 engine and the crank sensors in the 93-99 engines were very robust and rarely gave problems.

BeelzeBob
05-22-04, 11:38 PM
My 1999 Caddy stalls while I am driving. Usually it stalls as I take my foot off the gas. I have seen GM customer complaints for this problem with no problem resolution. Does anyone have an answer for this problem
Where have you seen "GM customer complaints for this with no resolution"....????.....on internet chat rooms or something...????

There are few stalling or idle speed control related problems reported on the 99 engines. Problems reported on 2000 and later engines do not necessarily apply to your case as those engines were completely redesigned mechanically with different electronic control systems and sensors.

Has anyone like a Cadillac dealer done any diagnosis on the problem or have you checked the system for diagnostic codes??? How many miles on the engine..??? Has the throttle body been cleaned ever..?? Many times the throttle body closed bore air rate can be significantly reduced by deposit buildup affecting the idle air control gain rates to the point that stalling can result. A simple , 5 minute throttle body cleaning may resolve the problem. Any diagnostic trouble codes present would also be a clue to any other problems.

This problem should be very simple to resolve and is NOT something that is very common or irrepairable... If the engine is stalling there is a diagnosible reason. Let someone knowlegeable look at it. You cannot diagnose it and repair it over the internet.

1999caddy
05-23-04, 10:48 AM
When I was on the internet there was a website, "mycarstats.com" that had GM customer complaints, recalls and service bullitins. There were several customers with problems just like mine where the dealer could not find the problem. The car stalls while driving but will start right up again. One thing I can tell you is that I have not cleaned the throttle body. Another thing is that the last two times it stalled I changed from Sunoco to Citco and it stalled soon afterwards and the next time I put in a higher premium Sunoco and a gas attitive to clean out the fuel system. I have not had the car checked by a professional.

BeelzeBob
05-23-04, 12:57 PM
When I was on the internet there was a website, "mycarstats.com" that had GM customer complaints, recalls and service bullitins. There were several customers with problems just like mine where the dealer could not find the problem. The car stalls while driving but will start right up again. One thing I can tell you is that I have not cleaned the throttle body. Another thing is that the last two times it stalled I changed from Sunoco to Citco and it stalled soon afterwards and the next time I put in a higher premium Sunoco and a gas attitive to clean out the fuel system. I have not had the car checked by a professional.

Before you jump to the conclusion that you have some sort of incurable problem that is inherent to Cadillacs you might have it diagnosed and serviced by a Cadillac dealer......it sounds very easy to resolve.

People who have problems always search out a site on the internet to vent and publish their "problem"...so it leads to some severe misconceptions as to what is really going on...especially when something is taken as a generic complaint regardless of model year or engine.....

Smokey
05-23-04, 04:44 PM
On my 2000 Deville, I had a sticky off idle gas pedal and it would sometimes stall when I let off the gas, especially when cold. I cleaned my throttle body per instruction found on this forum and the problems have disappeared. Easy 15 minute job and made a big difference.

1999caddy
05-24-04, 10:21 AM
can you forward the instuctions or tell me where to find them. I am a new member and this site is a little confussing to navigate. Thanks

BeelzeBob
05-24-04, 10:24 PM
can you forward the instuctions or tell me where to find them. I am a new member and this site is a little confussing to navigate. Thanks

If you go to the tool bar at the top of the forum there is a search feature. Type in a topic and there is usually a wealth of information from past posts to review. In this case, type in "throttle body cleaning" into the search topic that will drop down when you click on the search feature and see what you find....

Instructions such as this are in several of the posts that will show up.....

The one other "tuneup" item you didn't mention is cleaning the throttle body. It is simple and easy. Just take the air duct off at the throttle body and hold the blade wide open. Scrub the back of the blade and the bore of the throttle body behind the blade with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. The deposits building up will affect the idle speed control and will eventually need to be cleaned anyway so just do it as preventive maintenance. When you clean it, disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 seconds or so to reset the idle learn values for the clean throttle body.