: Misfire and P046

Roswell256
05-22-04, 12:53 PM
I just got my cadillac back to day. They ended up giving me a new battery, resealing my intake and top cover, Throttle body O-ring, Injector o-rings, replaced my A/C clutch and coil assembly, and recharged eveything.

When I picked up the car he told me about a small noise that they had gotten out of the high end. He said he figured it was a small amount of debris or something in the intake that had made a noise. But he said on the test drive it seems to have worked its way out.

He also told me that it was missing pretty bad. When they brought it back they sprayed water on the wires and watched the light show. They would have changed teh wires but he knew I wanted the car back this weekend. He said they could either do it Monday or he said I could do them myself.

How much am I looking for a set of plug wires? and would the misfire from the bad plugs throw a P046?

Thank you... and I'm soooo glad I got my Caddy back. Too bad the final bill came out to just over $1300:crying2: :crying2:

Roswell256
05-24-04, 11:08 AM
noone knows if bad plug wires could cause a P046 "Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference"??

I'm hoping that it doesnt end up being something wrong with the injectors. I just replaced the o-rings and the seals.

Thanks
-Roswell-

zonie77
05-24-04, 02:20 PM
I would think an intake leak would be more likely. Put in the plug wires and see if it fixes it.

Was it missing before you took it in?

Bbob should be of more help.

Roswell256
05-24-04, 02:56 PM
I would think an intake leak would be more likely. Put in the plug wires and see if it fixes it.

Was it missing before you took it in?

Bbob should be of more help.No it wasn't missfireing before I took it in. but then again he said that by messing with the wires it probably made them bad. Which makes no sence... the plugs and wires are only like 1.5 years old. BUt I did notice that the pluugs are pretty black. The pads are still there but they are darker then they should be.

Also he said he put water on it after the test drive, and watched the light show.

OR.....am I looking at a combination of things. plugs and a problem with the injectors?

Thank you
-Roswell-

zonie77
05-24-04, 07:06 PM
Have you put water on the plug wires?

This has been written about before but pulling on the wires can cause problems. Check and see if an end came loose.

If he changed the intake gaskets you may have a small air leak that the computer is trying to compensate for by adding fuel to one side.

zonie77
05-24-04, 07:06 PM
why did he reseal the intake? What was the symptom?

Roswell256
05-24-04, 09:20 PM
they resealed the intake becasue I had taken it apart to replace my starter and when I couldn't get in there far enough..... I gave it to them to do. Well they found out that the starter wasn't bad and they checked the gaskets and found they were worn and going out.

I'm going to get new wieres...but I can't find a place that has the AC Delco ones other then the dealer... And they are expensive

I'll keep you posted on what happens...and no I haven't had a chance to put water on them myself. but I will tomarrow

thanks

zonie77
05-25-04, 12:29 AM
You can get them online. You can also ask the dealer parts guy if he can match internet pricing. That works sometimes.
Check the wire ends before you spray them. You should be in a dark place too. You usually don't see any arcing in daylight but you may notice it run worse with water on the wires.

Roswell256
05-25-04, 07:26 AM
I'll see if the dealer guy can match the internet price. Because I have a trip comming up this weekend. 1000 miles one way. And i'm going to need my fuel economy up for that one.

Thanks for your help. Also if I don't notice any arching when I put water on it. What else could be the cause of it running bad?

Roswell256
05-26-04, 01:08 PM
FIXED... I GOT IT FIXED

It was plug wires. I found that the ones that were only a year and a half old... were some autozone inhouse brand crap. I got AC DELCO's and put them on.

I also found out that the wire for cylinders 5 and 7 were swapped on the plug end. That is what I'm thinking was probably causing my P046 also. The cyclinders weren't firing so that side was, acccoring to the O2 sensors, running very rich.

Well its all fixed and it runs better then when I first got it. ALL the power is back and then some. I'm sure the computer will compensate and level out a bit...but it will still be back to its original power level

Thanks to all
-Roswell-

zonie77
05-26-04, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't blame the plug wires if the mechanic put them on wrong!

He should have checked this.

Roswell256
05-26-04, 02:35 PM
True... but when I touched the top of the coil pack to push the first couple wires down, trying to ensure seating. I got one heck of a shot from it. I also got a hit on my other hand, that was touching the frame

so if figure I must have needed new ones anyway.

SCOLE90
05-26-04, 03:05 PM
hey roswell, it looks like i also need new wires on my eldo, do i need to put any kind of sealer or silicone on the boots?

Roswell256
05-26-04, 03:40 PM
I didn't.... I guess I could... I also didni't need to really clean my posts as when I took the old boots off they were very clean...

I noticed that the AC Delco boots that I got have some light coat of green stuff. probably a protectant of something.

zonie77
05-26-04, 05:40 PM
You should use dielectric grease. It may come with the new wires. If not buy a small tube.

zonie77
05-26-04, 05:55 PM
I should add that the green stuff may be dielectric grease, so look at the boots if there isn't a pkg in the box with the wires. They may have it already installed.

jgr7
05-27-04, 12:47 AM
Mine came with that green stuff too, they were factory AC Delco. If you have to take them off and on a few times I would make sure you put a little more silicone no them.

Jeff

Roswell256
05-27-04, 10:54 AM
Those factory AC Delco's are awsome. I'm trying to think of anything else that could help... maybe I should get a new air filter... nothing special. Just whatever it came with.

There wasn't a packet of stuff... so that green stuff was probably dielectric grease. I haven't had to take them on or off so I'm not worried about adding more to them.