: Setting Camshaft timing HELP!!!

RICOMRD
03-17-08, 10:07 PM
Started last week my project of replacing the head gaskets on 97 Seville STS. I did this without dropping the cradle, “and believe me I will chalk this experience as one that I will never repeat again”. But I had no other choice.

I time-serted the block and started the reassembly. I am at the stage of setting camshaft timing in relation to crank and I am confused. So I stopped what I was doing, and decided to ask you guys for help. Probably my confusion originates due the two timing marks on the cam sprockets. The “O” and the dot marking. Can someone chip in on this subject?

I ordered a service manual for a 97 Seville and they sent me a service manual for a 76 Seville, so I have been getting my info. mainly from this site which is a great source of technical information.

AJxtcman
03-17-08, 10:13 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/111035-93-99-o-h-assembly.html (http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/080614.html)

RICOMRD
03-18-08, 06:19 AM
Thank you for your support.

tateos
03-18-08, 12:40 PM
I did not see the timing setting pictures on the link AJ sent - could you see them?

What you do is line up the crankshaft and intermediate shaft marks so they are adjacent to each other - I think this happens every 7 turns of the crankshaft - something like that. Then, you line up the locating pins on the camshafts so they are at 12:00 in relation to the top of the cylinder head. I used a speed square to do this, to be sure I did it right. Then, put the heads on the block. Be sure to line up the cams BEFORE you put the head on the block - this is an interference engine, and you will not be able to rotate the cams all the way around once they are on the block - some valves will hit a piston. I knew about this, but got a little careless and forgot to register the cams when putting the right head on and ran into this issue, and I had to loosen all the head bolts and lift the head a little so I could rotate the cams to their proper position.

You know about installing the chains and tensioners and guides, right?

RICOMRD
03-18-08, 06:15 PM
Hey, thanks’ lot for the tip, I am heading out to the garage armed with the info, from AJ and Tateos.

Can’t wait to hear the sweet sound of the north star. I will keep you guys posted.

AJxtcman
03-18-08, 06:27 PM
I did not see the timing setting pictures on the link AJ sent - could you see them?

What you do is line up the crankshaft and intermediate shaft marks so they are adjacent to each other - I think this happens every 7 turns of the crankshaft - something like that. Then, you line up the locating pins on the camshafts so they are at 12:00 in relation to the top of the cylinder head. I used a speed square to do this, to be sure I did it right. Then, put the heads on the block. Be sure to line up the cams BEFORE you put the head on the block - this is an interference engine, and you will not be able to rotate the cams all the way around once they are on the block - some valves will hit a piston. I knew about this, but got a little careless and forgot to register the cams when putting the right head on and ran into this issue, and I had to loosen all the head bolts and lift the head a little so I could rotate the cams to their proper position.

You know about installing the chains and tensioners and guides, right?

From this post 02-25-2007 09:46 PM to this long post 02-25-2007 10:23 PM

tateos
03-18-08, 07:20 PM
I looked again - the cam setting info is there in the post AJ posted the link to - about 2/3 of the way down - I missed it earlier