: Do you own your car or does your state license it to you yearly?

N0DIH
03-17-08, 04:26 PM
http://www.perspectives.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=52975&forum_id=55&jump_to=3576704

Anyone here have a car? Do you own it? No, you don't.

Thanks to our government, somehow they figured out that if GM makes a car, and they can snag the MSO (Manf Cert of Origin) and then license the car back to you via the "Certificate of Title" via yearly fees and emissions restrictions, they have you over the barrel.

You are SCREWED.

SCREAM, yell at your politicians!

Anyone a lawyer and want the court battle of the century?

EcSTSatic
03-17-08, 09:45 PM
Sounds like a lot of legal smoke to me. If you really want to find out what you "own" just stop paying your taxes!

JC316
03-17-08, 10:09 PM
Yeah, you can get it, but it is a pain in the ASS. You have to have an international drivers license and have to pay with either gold or bearer bonds(If I remember right anyway) and then you can get it. supposedly, you can drive on the road without insurance, registration, or inspection and they can't touch you. Of course, have fun explaining that to an angry cop. Same thing goes with your property and income tax. I have a friend that is big into this stuff that could explain it better.

dkozloski
03-17-08, 10:27 PM
It's like thinking you're buying beer. You just rent it for a while as it goes on through.

N0DIH
03-18-08, 02:44 AM
Talk to him about it, I am very curious on this one.

I can see keeping a copy of my birth certificate with me to prove my citizenship, all I should ever need to prove I have the legal right to travel on US highways. Don't need more than that so says the US Constitution. DL's aren't constitutional, nor plates no vehicle registrations. Not saying they have value, but they aren't LEGAL....

Yeah, you can get it, but it is a pain in the ASS. You have to have an international drivers license and have to pay with either gold or bearer bonds(If I remember right anyway) and then you can get it. supposedly, you can drive on the road without insurance, registration, or inspection and they can't touch you. Of course, have fun explaining that to an angry cop. Same thing goes with your property and income tax. I have a friend that is big into this stuff that could explain it better.

TexasCadillac
03-18-08, 10:03 AM
This sounds like what a guy I worked with in Florida told me. He did not believe in having a drivers license, registration, license plates or inspection stickers. He said the drivers handbook clearly states on the first page in the book These laws apply to the licensed driver, and he said he was not a licensed driver and the laws do not apply to him. LOL He claimed he has the right to free passage. I think he stayed in jail a lot for not paying tickets. He did not realize a drivers license is a privelige not a right. The best way to pay less taxes is to own less things.

Sinister Angel
03-18-08, 01:24 PM
This sounds like what a guy I worked with in Florida told me. He did not believe in having a drivers license, registration, license plates or inspection stickers. He said the drivers handbook clearly states on the first page in the book These laws apply to the licensed driver, and he said he was not a licensed driver and the laws do not apply to him. LOL He claimed he has the right to free passage. I think he stayed in jail a lot for not paying tickets. He did not realize a drivers license is a privelige not a right. The best way to pay less taxes is to own less things.

So it's the government's job to hand out privileges?

EcSTSatic
03-18-08, 03:19 PM
Where have you been? Congress has been abusing the Constitutional power to regulate commerce for a long, long time.

N0DIH
03-18-08, 04:30 PM
The question is how to do "AS THE PEOPLE" do anything about it? We are in a screwy Republic that votes in reps and they are the ones that did it, we need to clean them up and get in ones who will FIX it. And hold their feet to the fire.

dkozloski
03-18-08, 05:23 PM
The idea of a certificate of title for a motor vehicle came along because they are mobile, valuable, and people steal them. If it wasn't for the title somebody could drive off in your car and it'd be theirs by simple possession. It's just like the idea that it's good to be able to prove that you own the land your house sits on or your gold claim. Titling a car proves you own it and a chain of ownership extends from owner to owner. Registration is the taxation issue and it varies from state to state. In Alaska there is a set fee for various classifications of vehicles. Some states tax sales, others tax on value like a property tax. I'm beyond that here in Alaska. People over 65 only pay a $2 emissions test fee and everything else including the plates is free on your primary vehicle.

TexasCadillac
03-19-08, 02:16 AM
So it's the government's job to hand out privileges? I did not make the rules. :hmm:

ewill3rd
03-19-08, 06:48 AM
I for one am just relieved that this isn't a political topic! :lol:

codewize
03-19-08, 08:47 AM
I've heard this before. Never the part about the international license but the rest of this I've heard and believe it to be true. For some obscure reason I think I actually took the time to look into this once.

N0DIH
03-19-08, 11:00 AM
We just vote in the people who put this crap in place.... We need to vote in someone who will take it OUT of place....

I did not make the rules. :hmm:

codewize
03-21-08, 08:48 AM
You definitly can't blame me for that one.

We just vote in the people who put this crap in place.... We need to vote in someone who will take it OUT of place....

dkozloski
03-21-08, 09:34 AM
Let me know when they do away with a certificate of title so I can just pick out the car I want and drive it away.