: how to clean out intake??

pontiacsouth
03-17-08, 12:31 PM
i am wondering how to clean out the intake on my 01 deville. it was running rough, changed the plugs last weekend & that helped a little but still getting the P0300 code (missfire detected). i looked in the TB and it looks pretty black in there. if anyone out there knows for sure please let me know. thanks

Submariner409
03-17-08, 01:21 PM
Lots of threads here and in Deville lately about intakes, gaskets, plenums, plugs, TB cleaning, plug boots, etc.

Removing the intake manifold and TB, cleaning everything, and replacing all the gaskets, TB and rubber plenum connector is not rocket science but does require basic hand tools, lots of throttlebody (not choke) cleaner, and patience.

A good set of engine cleaning (as in: engine overhaul, internal) brushes would come in handy, too.

krimson_cardnal
03-17-08, 01:28 PM
To reinforce submariner's point on the cleaner. Be careful around the mass air flow sensor. Very sensitive doobie. Don't mokey with it, a gentle puff of air will clear it. Use the cleaners on the hard surfaces, you'll be amazed at what comes out of there. Search as suggested to understand where you're going. My experience has told me cleaning the TB is good routine maintenance. K_C

tateos
03-17-08, 01:56 PM
I read that cleaning the throttle body is good - but the FSM says cleaning the intake manifold is bad. It says that there are too many places that are un- reachable, and debris can be left in nooks an crannies that can come loose later on and damage the engine.

pontiacsouth
03-17-08, 02:52 PM
well, if I'm not supposed to clean it should i just WOT it for a while. I will check to make sure the intake bolts are tight cause i read that that would affect the idle. other than changing the coil pack, what else could i try to make it run like a caddy again?

krimson_cardnal
03-17-08, 03:22 PM
Remember the intake man is plastic, use care. WOT NEVER hurt a N*! It's fun as well,, just be cool around smokie. Spend a bit of time in the search mode in these forums. Lots and lots been covered and you'll learn your way around and find folks. Stock Cadillacs are strong as is.

BTW-update your CP to show all the year and model your running, you know the part that's right under your ID. It helps those who help a lot. K_C

Ranger
03-17-08, 03:24 PM
Pull the EGR valve and clean the pintle. See the Tech Tips section for a tutorial.

chubbyranger
03-17-08, 04:26 PM
This is in the archives on carbon cleaning.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-51792.html

zhida
09-05-08, 06:58 AM
i just pretty much spray everything related to the intake down with throttle clean, well except the MAF on that i use the computer air sprayer to just get the dusties out

misfit6794
09-05-08, 02:59 PM
They do have dedicated MAF cleaner that worked really well on my infiniti, might want to try it. You could also see if there's any codes popping up.

MisterBlue
09-05-08, 03:15 PM
I don't know about manifold cleaning being such a great idea. I've yet to see one with enough crud built up that it would really affect the engine. Most of what I've see in there is just a very thin layer of oily carbon. I could see doing it when you're rebuilding an engine, but I'm fairly skeptical of any benefits of doing it as a normal maintenance procedure on an engine that's in good shape.

Ranger
09-05-08, 06:41 PM
I don't know about manifold cleaning being such a great idea. I've yet to see one with enough crud built up that it would really affect the engine. Most of what I've see in there is just a very thin layer of oily carbon. I could see doing it when you're rebuilding an engine, but I'm fairly skeptical of any benefits of doing it as a normal maintenance procedure on an engine that's in good shape.

It's about the equivalent of cleaning out your exhaust system.

Submariner409
09-05-08, 07:04 PM
:sneaky: Chimney sweep ?