: what car do you think is the best overall value currently being offered?

"G$"
03-16-08, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure what the metrics should be to make up a total value but here is a swag... and I'm talking about new cars only.

Price/Financing Options
Cost of Ownership
Quality
MPG
Reliability
Safety
Looks/Style
Satisfaction
Resale Value
Style

There are so many metrics that it is hard for me to pick. Maybe I should break this into a 2 door and 4 door category. I myself, love all 3 of my cars but since I love cars, I am very tempted to get rid of one of them and get a new one. I'd be looking for a daily driver that had the proper mix of legroom/headroom, proper mix of HP/gitty-up and MPG, creature features (sunroof, leather, navigation) etc. probably a 4 door but could possibly do 2 door, something extremely reliable, something that has excellent handling, and something that I could get a really good deal on.

Everyone has a different value that they place on different things depending on their specific value system. The values I have certainly don't make the car I would pick the most economical choice (no way I'd drive a prius, yaris, fit, hyndai, etc.) but I'm talking about overall value based on all features that are important to you and corresponding price.

Car Makes aside, the initial results that I see based on my findings are toyota camry, honda accord, saturn aura, buick lacrosse, Lincoln MKZ, new Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu, cadillac CTS)

Anyway, it also depends on what deal you're able to get on it. Can you negotiate a good deal and get a good finance rate. Yeah you could pay cash but it would be stupd to do so if you gt a 2.9% or below interest rate, which is way below the typical cost of borrowing.

This is just an exercise I'm doing for fun because I want your opinions. You guys might come back with a silverado or Acadia or something like that but anyways, I am interested to see what you think the best bang for your buck is out there right now.

"G$"
03-16-08, 12:52 PM
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/499/best-new-car-incentives

definitely a buyers market....

C&C
03-16-08, 02:06 PM
Not an easy question to answer as you include highly subjective evaluation points, i.e. style/looks/satisfaction. And many people buy vehicles for many reasons, which can also influence the results.

Night Wolf
03-16-08, 02:19 PM
http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2006/11/_Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Black-1-lg.jpg

"G$"
03-16-08, 03:30 PM
http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2006/11/_Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Black-1-lg.jpg

that car is beyond words... :eek:

"G$"
03-16-08, 03:31 PM
Not an easy question to answer as you include highly subjective evaluation points, i.e. style/looks/satisfaction. And many people buy vehicles for many reasons, which can also influence the results.

EXACTLY. I just want to see what other people would buy and which cars out there they think are smart buys.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-16-08, 05:31 PM
What concerns me:

1) Gas milage can kiss my a$$
2) It better have one friggin comfy ride
3) It can't look like it was designed by a 3-year old who liked to make things all curvy and futuristic looking

Therefore, best value for the money = Lincoln MKZ. Best looking and most luxurious = Cadillac DTS.

Blackout
03-16-08, 06:50 PM
Hyundai Genesis sedan
http://www.autounleashed.com/images/hyundai_genesis_sedan.jpg
/end thread

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-08, 06:52 PM
Any sort of a Hyundai or Kia. Sorry to say, but it's the truth.

Cadillacboy
03-16-08, 07:52 PM
I'm sure it's not Lambirghini Reventon lol
Well, I hate to say but 2nd that on what Chad said

"G$"
03-16-08, 08:08 PM
Hyundai Genesis sedan
http://www.autounleashed.com/images/hyundai_genesis_sedan.jpg
/end thread

i have to admit that that car is awesome. i can't believe that hyndai makes it. the horror... but i am forced to give them respect. great car.

"G$"
03-16-08, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=dirt_cheap_fleetwood;1446958]1) Gas milage can kiss my a$$
QUOTE]

what is your commute? For instance, I drive 45,000 miles a year so I have to take it into consideration.

orconn
03-16-08, 08:52 PM
A six month old Ford Taurus fleet car "turnin" with under 15,000 miles for $9950.00. Next would be a Ford/Mercury Crown Vic/ Grand Marquis leftover or under 15,000 mile for $15-$16,000.00. Talk about a transportation bargain! All expenses considered, per mile cost ....probably best transportation value available. But won't do much for the ego, though!

Submariner409
03-16-08, 09:37 PM
A couple of Fridays at the Mannheim, PA car auctions will net you the same Taurus for $3,000, the same Grand Marquis for 6. Find a buddy with a dealer license. Real used car prices will truly shake your faith in dealers....

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-16-08, 09:59 PM
what is your commute? For instance, I drive 45,000 miles a year so I have to take it into consideration.

I am still in school, so I take the bus there. Its 10 miles round trip to work, 6 days a week. I also go out to my grandparent's farm 1-2 times a month, and that is 135 miles round trip. I don't care about my gas mileage because I have no other expenses except car. I save 75% of my paycheck, the rest goes towards doin stuff with friends and (slowly) improving my car.

I forgot the Ford Fusion. I am really fond of those cars, just like I am of the Lincoln MKZ. I also like the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic.

Destroyer
03-16-08, 10:22 PM
Wife and I actually went looking at new cars the other day. We were VERY dissapointed. Not really in the market but she could use something better on gas than her '98 Lincoln Mark VIII. Went to the Chevy dealer to check out the HHR cause she thought it looked pretty cool and I heard they were going pretty cheap. Dissapointed on both fronts. Gas mileage was 22 city and 30 I think on the highway and they wanted $18k+++. Not that I didn't expect to pay at least that much but we thought the car itself was real cheesey on the inside and the gas mileage wasn't THAT great to get rid of the Lincoln. We checked out the used car section and looked at an '05 CTS........what a piece of crap, how do you guys deal with that horrible cheap plastic interior? We checked out some Fords and some Honda's plus Toyota's and we decided to keep the Mark VIII. She absoulutely LOVES that car anyway and I really hate appliance-like cars anyway.

Blackout
03-16-08, 10:45 PM
and looked at an '05 CTS........what a piece of crap, how do you guys deal with that horrible cheap plastic interior?Last time I mentioned the CTS's horrible plasticy interior it turned into a 6 page thread saying how I always hate on the car and how I don't like Cadillac's. They may brand you in the same boat as I:highfive:

MauiV
03-16-08, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Destroyer;1447362]We checked out the used car section and looked at an '05 CTS........what a piece of crap, how do you guys deal with that horrible cheap plastic interior?[QUOTE]

Its whats under the hood that brought it to my garage.

My 04 LSE interior was WAY better, but Ford messed up not putting the S/C available on the R Type Jag in a LS. Now Lincolns are just FUGLY on the outside. The taillights of the MKZ are a crime against humanity.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-08, 11:18 PM
I went to the auto show last night with my buddies, and we were looking at a lot of the compacts (Mini Cooper, Scion tC, VW GTi, etc etc) and it's getting increasingly tough to find a fun to drive compact for less than $20,000 base. Shit, I went home and built my own Mini Cooper S today, and after all was said and done, it turned out to be $35,000!

Blackout
03-16-08, 11:21 PM
I went to the auto show last night with my buddies, and we were looking at a lot of the compacts (Mini Cooper, Scion tC, VW GTi, etc etc) and it's getting increasingly tough to find a fun to drive compact for less than $20,000 base. Shit, I went home and built my own Mini Cooper S today, and after all was said and done, it turned out to be $35,000!

The small car I am loving is the Mazda 3 hatchback. I priced out a non Mazdaspeed version and the Mazdaspeed version and the Mazdaspeed version was less then $3000 more then the non Mazdaspeed version and I think with all the options I wanted it came out to like $24k. Another one I like is the Volvo C30 version 2.0. Little more pricey but I'd love to have one!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-08, 11:28 PM
That Volvo is one sexy car. The Mazda is fast, but i dunno, I guess it lacks the personality of the European rides. If it were me, I'd go with the VW GTi, then the C30, then the Cooper S.

MauiV
03-16-08, 11:38 PM
Mazdaspeed 3 is nice as is the R32 VW and the C30, BUT Im not a hatchcack kind of guy.

I wish the Speed 3 was available in sedan because it would be my DD.

Blackout
03-16-08, 11:53 PM
So HOT!!! I love Evolve's stuff. Their S60 is amazing!
http://www.babez.de/evolve/c30/evolve-c30-titel.jpg
http://images.paultan.org/uploads/2006/11/c30trio17.jpg

MauiV
03-17-08, 12:15 AM
A Swedish Ricer?

Is it tubbed to fit that meat underneath it?

And most importantly does the HP numbers match all the money they spent on plastic parts?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-08, 12:16 AM
It hauls the lutefisk quite well.

dkozloski
03-17-08, 01:37 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40355&stc=1&d=1205728607

Trabant

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-17-08, 01:49 AM
So HOT!!! I love Evolve's stuff. Their S60 is amazing!
http://www.babez.de/evolve/c30/evolve-c30-titel.jpg
http://images.paultan.org/uploads/2006/11/c30trio17.jpg

It looks like its supposed to be one of those research subs that can go 5 miles underwater.

I don't like VW's simply because my aunt has a '00 beetle and it is a pile of crap. We stored it in our garage for 5 years because she moved to Prague for her job and after she came back she had it for 4 months and there were rust spots on the headliner. I do agree that the Taureg with the V10 diesel is a beast, but other than that I don't care for em.

Blackout
03-17-08, 10:26 AM
A Swedish Ricer?

Is it tubbed to fit that meat underneath it?

And most importantly does the HP numbers match all the money they spent on plastic parts?

When it comes to Evolve they do everything right. I saw this car back at the Philly Autoshow a year ago and in person it is just a hot ass car. It has full interior but has a roll cage built in. They threw a wide body kit on it and pumped up the power from the stock 227 hp to Evolve's 507 hp and 468 tq. So that's a shopping 202.8 hp per liter! But look at the size of the rear tires on the Evolve C30. That car means business! But if you wanna find out more info then check it out here http://evolvec30.com/ the car is twin turbo'd BTW

LS1Mike
03-17-08, 10:28 AM
New or used?
Because you can get an ass ton of used car that make a good value.
If I were looking at abfully loaded NEW d.d. for under 30,000 I would get an 08 Malibu.

jey
03-17-08, 02:39 PM
My personal list does starts with the Honda Fit. It's a heck of a deal for a useful hatchback with a bunch of standard safety features that you don't find on even some more expensive cars (ABS, side airbags). But yeah it's still a compact/economy car.

My list gets more obscure though - I have a thing for 4WD and I think the Jeep Patriot is a heck of a deal. Options like leather/nav/sunroof exist and it still prices out fairly well. Most people can never overlook the plastic, utilitarian interior and I'll admit that whole interior feels very strange when I sat in it. But with a 5-speed manual I can imagine it being a pretty fun car to drive in all sorts of weather, and even for light off-road duty.

roger greeb
03-17-08, 04:44 PM
corvette

NOT ON MY WATCH
03-17-08, 04:50 PM
2008 Cts

BigDaddy63
03-28-08, 09:12 PM
Thinking about buying a new KIA or Hyundai? Look up the KBB or NADA on a 2007. Not uncommon to see 40-60% off the new car price. In ONE year. Look up the residual on them after 3 years. Wow.. almost as bad as the Durango or Malibu. I personally won't buy any new car. All of them lose about 20% the first year in value. The last 3 cars I bought all had under 50k on the clock, drove and looked like new, and gave me years of trouble free service for 20% the cost of new. I just sold a car I had for four years for about the same price I bought it for, and bought the 02 DTS with 44k miles for a phenomenal price. Most likely, I'll drive the DTS for a few years and sell it for about the same as I bought it. To me, it sure beats buying new and getting hosed when trading or selling.

Just my .02.

Sandy
03-28-08, 09:46 PM
Best Overall value would be a product of an American Corporation, that
is also made in America, that the buyer can afford to either pay COD, or
can comfortably afford the time payments thereof.

This will support the economy, the workforce, and the a domestic corporation,
as well as allow the buyer to enjoy the car, and not hate it, because the
payments are "killing me" syndrome.

Crown Vic Owner
03-28-08, 09:57 PM
3 or 4 year old crown vic by far.

Decent MPG
Reliable
Safe
quick

Jesda
03-29-08, 04:51 AM
Hyundai Elantra and Ford Ranger.

Destroyer
03-30-08, 01:08 AM
The small car I am loving is the Mazda 3 hatchback. I priced out a non Mazdaspeed version and the Mazdaspeed version and the Mazdaspeed version was less then $3000 more then the non Mazdaspeed version and I think with all the options I wanted it came out to like $24k. Funny you mention the Mazda Speed3. That is the car my wife wants. We test drove one last week and it was fun. It'll break 'em loose at the top of 2nd gear when the boost kicks in right before shifting into third and once in third it pulls hard. Surprised me!. Car was fairly loaded except for the sunroof and navigation and sticker price was $24k and change. Clutch and shifter are butter smooth, smoothest I've ever shifted and the clutch was effortless. Mileage was 18 city 26 hwy. Good, but not THAT much better than the Mark VIII. I know my wife likes the Mazda Speed 3 but I just cant justify spending that much money on a new car. Its so unlike me to do that. As impressive as its performance was, it still felt like the small compact little import that it is. I just look at the used cars that $24k can buy and realize I would never spend that on a used car. Hell, nice low mileage '04 Jaguar XJR's are going for less than that!.

Blackout
03-30-08, 02:15 AM
Funny you mention the Mazda Speed3. That is the car my wife wants. We test drove one last week and it was fun. It'll break 'em loose at the top of 2nd gear when the boost kicks in right before shifting into third and once in third it pulls hard. Surprised me!. Car was fairly loaded except for the sunroof and navigation and sticker price was $24k and change. Clutch and shifter are butter smooth, smoothest I've ever shifted and the clutch was effortless. Mileage was 18 city 26 hwy. Good, but not THAT much better than the Mark VIII. I know my wife likes the Mazda Speed 3 but I just cant justify spending that much money on a new car. Its so unlike me to do that. As impressive as its performance was, it still felt like the small compact little import that it is. I just look at the used cars that $24k can buy and realize I would never spend that on a used car. Hell, nice low mileage '04 Jaguar XJR's are going for less than that!.

The MazdaSpeed3 responds so well to mods. A guy on another forum I was on had minor mods done to his and he was running low 12's and putting out 400 hp to the wheels

Destroyer
03-30-08, 09:47 AM
The MazdaSpeed3 responds so well to mods. A guy on another forum I was on had minor mods done to his and he was running low 12's and putting out 400 hp to the wheelsHe doubled the advertised hp with minor mods?. Mazda advertises the car as having 263hp I think so it may or may not put out 200 rwhp stock. How did this guy get that much hp with minor work?.

Blackout
03-30-08, 01:41 PM
He doubled the advertised hp with minor mods?. Mazda advertises the car as having 263hp I think so it may or may not put out 200 rwhp stock. How did this guy get that much hp with minor work?.

Well here's a turbo kit that when installed gives you 450 hp to the crank
http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?products_id=1367

But the guy on my other forum I am on only has intake/catted TBE/18psi/fuel pump/street tires and he ran a 12.6 @ 111 mph. I can't find the thread where he brought it to the dyno and got it dyno tuned. But he's thinking with putting slicks on it that he might be breathing on 11's if not in the 11's

Destroyer
03-31-08, 12:10 AM
Well here's a turbo kit that when installed gives you 450 hp to the crank
http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?products_id=1367

But the guy on my other forum I am on only has intake/catted TBE/18psi/fuel pump/street tires and he ran a 12.6 @ 111 mph. I can't find the thread where he brought it to the dyno and got it dyno tuned. But he's thinking with putting slicks on it that he might be breathing on 11's if not in the 11'sImpressive!. I like the car but 1st gear kinda sucked and the shifter albeit smooth was a bit spongy in feel. The car is a sleeper though and that could be a lot of fun. Most would never think it moves out like it does by looking at it!.

Blackout
03-31-08, 09:26 AM
Impressive!. I like the car but 1st gear kinda sucked and the shifter albeit smooth was a bit spongy in feel. The car is a sleeper though and that could be a lot of fun. Most would never think it moves out like it does by looking at it!.
Yeah. From what I have heard from owners 1st gear is useless, but did you know that with the first two gears I believe that the car limits it's boost so that it gives you the best traction off the line as possible. Owners have complained about it though but I'd think it would be a good thing

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-08, 09:56 AM
The nice thing about the MazdaSpeed 3 is that it doesn't have that immature, douchebag reputation that the WRX does....atleast not yet. It's like a more mature, responsible version of the tuner car.

c5 rv
03-31-08, 12:00 PM
I was recently helping my son look for a new car. Something to consider in your overall value equation is depreciation. Most new cars take a beating in this area. The exceptions Honda, Toyota, and some Mazdas. Most Hondas and Toyotas don't have incentives, but Mazdas do. (Mazdaspeed 3 does not.)

Probably one of the best deals would be leasing a loaded Mazda3 (which you can load up with leather and other goodies) and then buying out the lease at the end. Mazda has rebates, low interest rate 27 month leases, and the buy-out price is about $2-3K less than the KBB private party price. You can get a $0 down lease on a loaded unit for under $300 per month, buy it at the end of the lease with a credit union loan at less, and then keep it or sell it and pocket $2-3K.

My son went with a Mazda6 because, for him, the clutch position was more comfortable. The incentives are even stronger for the Mazda6, with basically the same lease price as the Mazda3. However, the residual price is closer to the KBB private party price.

Blackout
03-31-08, 12:53 PM
If you buy a car based on what it's used value is going to be worth then that really isn't the best way to go about picking up a car. You may as well wait a year or two and then pick up one used. When I made my Mazda3 5 door with all the options I wanted it came out to a little over $21k and that was with quite a lot of options put on there, satellite radio, power sunroof, GPS navigaton, HID's, etc.

c5 rv
03-31-08, 01:30 PM
If you buy a car based on what it's used value is going to be worth then that really isn't the best way to go about picking up a car. You may as well wait a year or two and then pick up one used.

Unless you intend to keep a new car until the wheels fall off, depreciation is a very legitimate consideration in a new car purchase. Many folks trade after 2-3 years and if you're upside down with your loan, that extra out-of-pocket $$ that you pay off or roll into your next car is just deferred cost of the car, like a balloon payment. The OP was asking about best overall value.

Granted, buying used is often the cheapest route, but the OP stated new. Also, when my son was looking, he was finding 3 yr old used Mazdas with 30-35K on them that were only about $1500-$2000 less than the S-plan price for new. I told him that a new set of tires and a new factory warranty was worth more than that.

concorso
03-31-08, 09:26 PM
When it comes to Evolve they do everything right. I saw this car back at the Philly Autoshow a year ago and in person it is just a hot ass car. It has full interior but has a roll cage built in. They threw a wide body kit on it and pumped up the power from the stock 227 hp to Evolve's 507 hp and 468 tq. So that's a shopping 202.8 hp per liter! But look at the size of the rear tires on the Evolve C30. That car means business! But if you wanna find out more info then check it out here http://evolvec30.com/ the car is twin turbo'd BTWThat site wont work for me. I have some questions about it, tho, maybe you can answer. About the huge rear tires, doesn't the C30 only come as fwd? What awd components did they use? The rest of the Volvo line uses Haldex components.

I really dont like the looks, it looks horrible from the side and rear, imho. Which is strange, as Evolve do great work visually.