Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  My_favorite_Brougham 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a white on blue 91 Brougham D'Elegance for cheap.

Needs a header panel, drivers fender and a bumper.

Do you guys know of a good place other than dealership to get these parts. (really don't want to go junkyard hunting).

My motor is the 5.0 and has a tick. sounds like valves but not sure.

My ac compressor smokes when i turn on the ac and squeaks to holy living hell.

I had to put on a new belt, could it be too tight? or is the compressor seized?

My digital dash freaks out, the trip mileage keeps accurate distances driven but flickers while driving. What could this be?

I read the topic on the radio replacement with newer Buick radio's. the pics were down so could someone host one of the correct one I should get?

My axle seal is broken on the passengers side after a board fell off a truck on the freeway and we couldn't avoid it. hope it isn't bent but getting it fixed for about 200.

I plan on air bagging the car. running about 20 gallons of air, and 2 180cfm nitrogen tanks. rims will be either the wire hub caps and vogue tires. or 20" white and chrome rims. with a big brake upgrade.

going for this look in the video attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEQCX6aYx8

here are a few exterior shots of the car. Ill get some Interior ones once I clean it. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
For those parts your best bet is a junkyard. Those header panels are quite expensive because people use them to update the older Broughams to the '90-92 look.

The bumper should also come from a junk Caddy.. the aftermarket bumpers are made in China.

Sounds like your compressor is bad, you might luck out with a junkyard compressor or you can buy a new aftermarket one for under $200. You should update the freon to 134 at the same time.

The digital dash will need to be refurbished. There are several vendors on the internet and ebay who can fix it. Other than that, you can get a junkyard dash but it will probably go bad as well. It is a common issue with these cars.

How many miles are on it? How is the d'Elegance interior holding up?

Goodluck!
Regards,
Elias

#3 ·
ive got 85.600 on the clock. Have original window sticker. car was bought in St Petersberg Fl on 10/17/1990. i have the actual receipt from Dew Cadillac where it was purchased.

Interior is say 8.9 / 9 of 10. drivers seat is worn with a few splits. arm rest is the same. all the other seats are near perfect.

it had the factory cd player in it. but they replaced it with a cheap ass sony xplod deck. this will be pulled ASAP. if i can't find another factory radio, or a Buick radio, ill probably end up throwing a double din tv in it.

The top has not 1 rip in it. no splits nothing! just needs to be washed. ill be cleaning it today and will have pics later.

i was reading something where you don't have to update to the new 134, i don't mind spending the money to get r12. and their is some coolant called freeze it or something like that. that is colder than r12. hope i can find it.

Ive always wanted a dropped out brougham, and this one is clean enough for me to do what i want.

#5 ·
Oh man, Freeze-12 is the best thing since sliced bread! It's as cheap at r134a and cools colder than the original r12. If you were going to convert to the new stuff, you'd have to have ALL the a/c components completely replaced, not just the compressor. With Freeze-12, you just dump it in the system as it is without any new parts (except for a compressor in your case). It's real easy and cheap to work with; the new stuff is bad and converted systems go bad quickly, so I stick with as close to stock as possible. It's cold and cost effective, too.

As for the Buick radio, take a look at this post:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1385074-post16.html
Lots a folk have been asking about it, so I keep updating it. This one should thoroughly explain it, but if not, just ask me and I can tell you more than you'll want to know! In the end, it will look like this. Mine was missing the Buick knob, so I just put the smaller Cadillac knob on it. But when you put on it, the correct knob will look better too.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.