: Red's BAD day...

Red_October_7000
03-15-08, 01:45 AM
Short version:
This morning I got a speeding ticket. This afternoon my car caught on fire. How's that for ya? :bighead:

Long version: recently my long-suffering girlfriend *finally* landed a job. Her car is off the road but just about ready to go back on, only needs to be re-registered, which we're waiting 'till next month to do as then it'll have been off the road for exaclty one year and that makes the back excise tax go away (as it wouldn't have been driven for the period of time the tax is for, hence no reason to asses tax.) otherwise it will be about $140. So I've been taking her in for her job training. We're going through a school zone, doing 25. A cop pulls out of the school in an unmarked (the spitting image of Crown Vic Driver's new wheels, to be honest) and pulls me over. I'm a bit confused but he asks for the usual paperwork, walks off, and comes back with a ticket and tells me to slow down. Walks off before I can even read the thing and drives away. It's only a $100 ticket but he wrote me up for 30 in a 20 when I was going 25. I don't think he could have made it any lower, though, there is a "head injury surcharge" of $50 (*cough*bullshit*cough*) so it's technically only a $50 fine, so I'm probably not going to do anything but pay it as it's not really like they could make it any lower than that. Not so much pissed at getting a ticket as I am that he wrote it up for 30 when I was doing 25. I suppose this is to make up for the time I got pulled over going well over the ton and didn't get any more than a mean look (and a bit of a scare, it was my first time pulled over).

The real kick in the pants was when I spent a couple hours cleaning up the shitty, hack-job wiring for all the aftermarket stuff on my car, adding propper wiring, a fuse block, heat-shrink tubing, spade connectors, etc, only to have it burst into flames when my girlfriend opened the door of the car and it cut into a wire that snuck into the goddamned hinge. The wire burned through and the fire pretty much went out by the time I found the extinguisher; just two little flames on some insulation under the hood which I litteraly blew out; my girlfriend, gods bless her, smothered the embers with a wet towell she found in the amazing mess that is my trunk (picture the trunk of the Oldsmobile in Army of Darkness. That is my trunk.) So that was my day! Ugh. Take a guess what I'm doing now! :alchi: :alchi: :alchi: :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-08, 07:35 AM
Was that your MR2 or your LeSabre?

Red_October_7000
03-15-08, 11:59 AM
It was the Buick. The MR2 is not on the road right now.

Spyder
03-15-08, 01:55 PM
The fact that you quoted Army of Darkness, or at least mentioned it, makes it all better though...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-15-08, 08:54 PM
Why did you have a wet towel in your trunk and how does it not smell like mildew in there (or maybe it does, I don't know)? Here in IL, the school zone limit is 25. We gave up on making speed limits with 0's at the end.

Red_October_7000
03-15-08, 10:42 PM
Because everything is in my trunk, dude. I'll make a photograph some time so you can gaze in wild wonder at that which is my trunk because it is epic. 20 MPH is a pretty rediculous speed limit, I've never once seen anyone actually DO it, including cops, school buses, ambulances, etc.

orconn
03-15-08, 10:56 PM
I am glad to hear you were only doing 25MPH in a school zone ........ around here in VA 45 to 50 seems to be normal speed! However, when I lived in LA 25 to 30 MPH in a school would have qualified you for a medal from LAPD ...... but would have gotten you run off the road or rear ended by your fellow drivers. Personnaly I think Sargeant Happy Holiday Guy (or whoever he is in your community) should take you to lunch!