: Any had trouble with their 6disc changer?

esved
03-15-08, 12:47 AM
I have the 6dvd/cd indash changer w/nav. With it I have lockpic, bluetooth, and aux video source (kvh) going into the unit for the last year. Today my esv had to be jump started and all of a sudden the radio wont recognize the disc function on the display, wont eject the disks, and wont allow me to put in another disc. Its like I dont have the changer at all. After I turn off the engine and exit the car it seems like something continues to spin in the disc changer and wont stop. It was working fine before the car was jump started so I'm guessing was something blown in the nav unit? Now I know that all the misc accessories have nothing to do with this problem since its been at least a year since install....but what would the stealers do if I bring it in to them? Anyone had this problem before? and what was the problem? Sorry for the long description. Thanks

yourgmsolutions
03-15-08, 10:04 AM
I have the 6dvd/cd indash changer w/nav. With it I have lockpic, bluetooth, and aux video source (kvh) going into the unit for the last year. Today my esv had to be jump started and all of a sudden the radio wont recognize the disc function on the display, wont eject the disks, and wont allow me to put in another disc. Its like I dont have the changer at all. After I turn off the engine and exit the car it seems like something continues to spin in the disc changer and wont stop. It was working fine before the car was jump started so I'm guessing was something blown in the nav unit? Now I know that all the misc accessories have nothing to do with this problem since its been at least a year since install....but what would the stealers do if I bring it in to them? Anyone had this problem before? and what was the problem? Sorry for the long description. Thanks

I've seen it happened several times. some how CD's got jammed sometimes. Dealer should not give you any problems. there is nothing wrong you did. however, before you jump start your vehicle, it's best to turn all of your accessories off.

Dif
03-15-08, 12:04 PM
Not saying I know what went wrong... just some info:
Quite a while ago there were posts about the Disc changer going bad in the first place, running non stop after leaving the vehicle, which in turn, drained the battery.
Other related posts were about things not working properly after a battery has gone dead, for whatever reason.
Very possible the disc player going bad caused the dead battery.

Palomar9
03-15-08, 03:51 PM
You might try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes. I think GM will wash it's hands of your problems if you take it in with the accessories installed. Why did you need a jump start in the first place? Was the disk-changer running non-stop as mentioned above?

esved
03-15-08, 05:06 PM
took the esv in to the dealer this morning and here's the answer they gave me....
apparantly there is this recall from GM regarding the alarm remotes draining the batteries...and since this recall was not performed, my truck had a "weak" battery which I needed a jump the other day. So what they wanted to say was that a "weak" battery will cause the changer portion of the radio to not function while everything else can still work on a weak battery.

guys does this seem possible?

got my esv back and everything seems to be working ok...just hope this solves everything

Palomar9
03-16-08, 01:32 AM
Does anyone else know anything about this particular recall?

ESVED: What model year is your vehicle? And what is the month/year of manufacture? (It's on the tire pressure sticker on the edge of the driver's door - upper right corner, like "07/06" = July 2006.)

Dif
03-16-08, 02:20 PM
Does anyone else know anything about this particular recall?
I don't remember it being a Recall, but if it's the same thing I'm thinking of: there was/is a simple software update for the remotes that had something to do with the battery.
I never had a problem but a while back my dealer did mine in like 5 minutes when I brought it in for service.
Also, if you contact GM/Cadillac Customer Service they'll tell you all the software updates that your vehicle needs that might not have been done yet. :thumbsup:
I called them once on an unrelated issue and while they had me on the phone they told me everything I needed done, that wasn't already done.

esved
03-16-08, 02:32 PM
my esv had a build date 09/06. I believe the very first time that the battery died was when I tried to use the remote start and the car just would not turn (this was about june 2007) had it jump started but the engine light stayed on. asked onstar what they had showing and they told me transmission problem. Took it to the dealer after 2 days light disappeared right before dealer saw it so they told me not to worry. Get a call from GM after 2 weeks telling me to go to the dealer for something related to my remote (but he wouldnt tell me details except that its remote related) On next oil change at dealer told them the recall issue but they would not do it "because its very minor and can wait till a major service like the 15k"...

Do the dealers get paid for the recalls? seemed like they weren't really interested in doing any recall work let alone warranty work...they seemed more interested in getting me to schedule for regular services rather than recall/warranty work.

hcvone
03-17-08, 08:16 AM
If you read the manual, jump starting these newer cars you have to have the radio and the HVAC system off before jump starting your car/truck, or it can cause problems. The first time my trucks battery died I have all kinds of problems after I got it started, then added two batteries to both of my trucks, never had a problem after that. :)

Palomar9
03-17-08, 11:44 AM
If you read the manual, jump starting these newer cars you have to have the radio and the HVAC system off...

Carl, do you have a page number in the '07 manual for that? I'm not finding it. Thanks.

hcvone
03-17-08, 12:18 PM
Carl, do you have a page number in the '07 manual for that? I'm not finding it. Thanks.

Page 438 top of the page on the right hand side in bold print. :)

kgb67
03-19-08, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums having just traded my 2007 Tahoe LTZ for a hold over new 2007 Escalade in Red-E. I absolutley love the Escalade and the additional power/refinements it has over the Tahoe (although it was loaded with everything too).

I had a similar situation happen with my 6 disc changer. I took the Gen2 lockpick out of the Tahoe (worked flawlessly there) and put it in the Escalade and it wouldn't work quite right. Some times it would work fine, other times it would not recognize the disc changer as that feature was greyed out despite having discs in there. I ordered a Gen4 lockpick hoping it would fix the problem and it didn't arrive before we set out for skiing in Colorado, so I left the Gen2 in for the trip, hoping it would work. The system worked fine for half the drive to CO (about 8 hours), then suddenly stopped and the disc feature is greyed out again. My kids were NOT happy! We lived without it for the remaining portion of the drive and I took the Gen2 lockpick out when we arrived at the ranch. It didn't help - my disc changer is still greyed out and won't recognize the discs that are in there (4 of them) or let me load additional ones. We were able to cheat the system and use the PS2 in the rear input for the ride home, but the system is still down. I tried disconnecting the battery cable last night for a minute with no help. Can anyone offer advice - the dealer can't look at it until next week and I'm concerned about what "codes" he'll see relative to the lockpick.

Thanks!
:rant2:

john07slade
03-19-08, 02:43 PM
I had the same issue after a dead battery in my 2007. Turns out the dealer had to reprogram the CD changer which only took about 10 or 15 minutes but still a pain in the butt. It has been just fine after that and he says it's not all that uncommon. You would wonder if it was related to your Gen 2 or not.

kgb67
03-20-08, 11:23 AM
Do you know what they had to do to "reprogram" the changer? Any info may help my dealer in getting this done quickly next week....thanks!

john07slade
03-20-08, 12:22 PM
I really don't but it is similar to updating the programming on your tranny or anything else. I believe all dealers can do it and it was a very quick procedure done while I waited.

kgb67
03-20-08, 12:25 PM
OK, thanks! I hope it's that simple!