Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  I~LUV~Caddys8792 
#1 ·
Hey everybody! I have a really long story here to tell so please bare with me.

So my mom has an '05 Yukon XL SLT; fully loaded and it has 43k miles. It's pretty great truck. Our neighbors have a '02 Yukon XL Denali with 130k miles. So yesterday my mom calls me (i'm at work) and says "Hey Ryan, pick me out a Yukon XL Denali to test drive". So I go pick out an '08 Denali in Onyx Black with Cocoa interior. Stickers for $59,010.00. So we test drive it and she fell in love with it. My dealer lets her drive it home for the night; so we get home, and my neighbors immediately start peeking over the bushes to see what we have. They are a classic case of keeping up with the joneses. For example, we got new living room furniture and within 2 weeks they got new furniture. We got new pine straw in the front yard, and they have it within a week. When my mom got her '05 Yukon XL, they started talking about new ones. It's pretty bad. Anyway...

We take the Denali back today and get the numbers. The payment was going to be $993 a month for 60 months with 0% financing. My parents don't want to do that, as they are paying $619 a month for 72 months with a 6.9% interest rate. So we give it back to them and when we get home, lo and behold: a Stealth Grey '08 Yukon XL Denali in their driveway. We immediately become upset because my mom has always wanted one and we can't afford that, but they go out and buy the same truck we wanted (except that color is horrible). The only reason they bought it was because we had test driven the one last night. They were supposed to be getting a Sierra SLT All-Terrain so they could pull their boat.

My mom goes back out to Trent Cadillac and asks them about getting a better deal. Well, they don't want to come off the price any more so we tell our salesperson what the deal with our neighbors was. The dealer also became upset, because the people were going to come in to my dealership today and look at a truck. They instead buy the truck from Parker GMC in Morehead City, and they weren't answering phone calls and when you make an appointment you should at least call and say "Hey, we're buying a truck somewhere else"

So to get "back" at the neighbors, the dealer decides to loan us:

A 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV in Black Raven. Oh my god, it's the most amazing thing I have ever driven. At least 10x better than the Denali, and I thought that truck was amazing. It stickers at $71,390.00. We have started to look at used ESV's now. My mom has fallen in love. So have I. I mean, I can't even describe it. All you Escalade drivers, well I'm completely jealous. :worship: Our neighbors our going crazy now. :bouncy:

Ok, so I'm done for today.

See less See more
#2 ·
ROFL. So what are these idiots going to pull their boat with, the Denali?

#3 ·
I'm guessing so. I mean, they are pretty retarded thinking they are going to pull a 29' boat with a $60k SUV. My dad has a '07 Sierra Classic 2500HD and they were going to get an '08 Sierra SLT 2500HT Duramax, but once they saw the Denali they were completely jealous.

Oh yeah, a few days before the wife had told me how ugly the new Denali's are. I mean, why buy something you really don't like? It's ok though, because I'm still saving for my Seville and my mom is really pushing for the ESV. :D

#4 ·
You and the neighbors need some padded rooms and little white pills...seriously.

That said, fun with the Escalade, huh? As said in another thread with Sandy pondering replacing his stunning '03 Town Car, paid for and with 11k miles, for a new DTS...same thing applies here.

She has a great '05 Yukon XL at a payment she likes and is always getting closer to pay off, etc., so why not keep it and spend money on...well, something ELSE to get back at the neighbors, around the house...

Or, yeah, used ESV's...if she MUST have an Escalade, no matter what. Then again, that might not be a bad idea...ESPECIALLY a Certified one, with a 100k warranty, etc.

#5 ·
Oh god I need something right now, possibly a drink or maybe I need to be sedated...

I'm pretty sure we are going to keep the Yukon XL, as there is nothing wrong with it. My mom thought there would be some equity in the thing, but our dealer told us no. I'm pretty sure we would end up with a regular Yukon XL before a Denali or a ESV, as both are pretty pricey. The main reason she looked at Yukon's was because of 0% financing, and she wanted to start a cycle of trading every two years (we kept our '01 for 4 years and it had lots of issues)

The funny thing about the story is the neighbors live in our old house. We sold it in 2001 and bought a lot right across the street from our old one (we liked our neighborhood) and at that time we had an '01 Yukon XL SLT in Onyx Black. They liked it so much they went out to the dealer and wanted to buy the EXACT same truck, but came back with their '02 Denali instead. They had also been talking about an SRX, which they didn't even like.

It's just crazy how my parents can't even tell them anything they like without them going out and buying the same thing, or something even better.

#6 ·
$71,000 for an SUV??? I knew Escalades weren't cheap, but holy crap thats a lot of money. I like my car. Its not big and flashy, and it only gets noticed for its ugliness/old people look, but as soon as a person rides in it they understand why I love it so much.

G
#7 ·
Sad to hear of the situation between your parents and the neighbors as well as the extremely stupid spending habits of both. Over $70k for a Caddy that wont be worth $35k in a couple of years would be a terrible financial mistake to any sane person. Doing it JUST to impress the neighbors is even dumber. Then again most people dont even care about that and just look at the monthly payment as the determining factor when buying a car and are totally oblivious to the fact that they will be upside real soon, much like your mom is with the Denali.

#13 ·
x2

Wait a minute.... Destroyer and I agree on something?!? :)

$71k for a car is crazy, $1,000/month car payment.... there is no need at all. Ah well, I've got my own views on all this stuff. Your moms car payment is exactly $1/month more for her 2005 SUV then my house payment.

#8 ·
Staying with the great '05 Yukon XL = Best move.

Keeping up with the Jone's (I hope that isn't actually their name...) is just stupid. Being financially stable and making proper decisions is.

As for the equity, yes, you discovered the same thing we did recently, having traded an '04 Suburban in;) Let's just say, even at top dollar, the value from it was thousands below even the lowest online value calculator. Not that we didn't expect that, given the dying (sort of) full-size SUV market, so just sucked it up and took what we could get, and mom is THRILLED to be back in a car--something never expected. The fuel efficiency, lower payments, etc. are just icing.

So, yeah. Enjoy the '05 and let the neighbors max themselves out on whatever they please, ignoring them all the way:thumbsup:

#9 ·
I agree, $70k is ridiculous for even the nicest of cars. We definitely were not gonna buy the Escalade, the dealer just let us drive it for the night. I've already seen a few '07's going for $50k with everything we wanted. But right now, our future looks bright with the Yukon XL. I cleaned it up today and it looks even better than before.

#10 ·
With neighbors like that, you've got to buy the most obscene, most offensively odd car you can find. Something like a 1975 Chrysler Newport Hardtop Sedan in light green with a black velour interior would be just what you need.

#11 ·
The only problem is they wouldn't do that. For example, if my mom would have gotten an '08 Yukon XL SLT (another great SUV), they wouldn't have been jealous one bit. If I drove up in a Seville STS, the same situation. Now if my mom drove up in a Mercedes or BMW, I have no idea how they would react. My mom needs to just take an XLR up there, and then we would see how that would do them in! :thumbsup:

#12 ·
I've got a 1989 Chevrolet 3500 dump truck you can have. Its got a 454, 3-speed, its bright green/rust colored and has only headers for an exhaust. We used to use it a lot out on the farm, but now we have a tractor with a bucket and we hardly ever use it.

#16 ·
heck if my Zoo actually had a running engine right now, I'd serisouly think about selling the Town car... simply cause the reason why I even got it in the first place, is no longer here and it's still worth a good bit and I've got some bills to pay... part of the whole get out of debt thing.... not to mention the Isuzu is actually more useful to me as it's eaiser to haul stuff with, and as it is now, my utility trailer is sitting in the yard with nothing to tow it with.

Ah well, I see it all the time, alot at work.... I'm a car guy, I like a nice car and to be kept in good shape, dosen't mean showroom, but decent for what it is, mechanical over cosmetic of course.... but to so many people they use their car as a social status symbol.... sorta like buying a new car then the first thing is putting huge rims on it, there is no point.

#17 ·
All this talk of keeping cars as long as possible and not using them for social status really says something about how smart of a group we are as a whole. And how old fashioned we are! LOL!!

#18 ·
To be honest, I get tired of driving the same car all the time. It's boring to look outside the window everyday and see the same car sitting there. If I had the money, I would trade every year.

The Escalade search is still going. We have seen a few used examples with less than 30k miles for $46k. My parents are also looking at Denali's, but we would much rather go with a Cadillac. It all started out as a joke, but now we're serious. Plus if we're paying for it, why does it matter?

#19 ·
To be honest, I get tired of driving the same car all the time. It's boring to look outside the window everyday and see the same car sitting there. If I had the money, I would trade every year.
I think we all feel like that. But the sad reality is that we can't afford to do that, not to mention buying a used car, especially with a loan, is a hassle.

#21 ·
Hard to find one you want.
Hard to find one that hasn't been abused.
Hard to find one with good maintenance records.
Hard to find one at a good price.
Hard to find one in a good color combination.
Hard to find one that doesn't need any work.

G
#25 ·
I financed the new cars I bought, the last one being an '01 Isuzu Trooper. Finance things that appreciate. Do not finance things that deppreciate (cars). If you have $2000 or $20,000 to put down on a car, buy one for that cash amount instead and have no monthly payment. Only time I lost cash was on a '98 Deville. N* blew the headgaskets. I hear ya on the Camry but the money you will save in repairs and with gas heading up to $4/gallon, it may wise to just keep it.

#27 ·
SUV's are pretty darn good for what they are when used for their origanal purpose.... it's the typical American soccer mom that gave them a bad rep.

For hauling and off-road, a proper SUV makes a very good alternative to a pickup, and has it's own pros aswell. Ah who am I kidding... I'm still thinking 80's SUV's.....

#28 ·
:gothicaleigh:
I don't know what is worse, the fact that your neighbors are so obsessed with your family that they would buy a vehicle just to match you, or that it bothers you enough to play these kind of games. Honestly, does it really matter what the hell they drive as long as you drive the car you wanted?

#29 ·
The main problem is that my mom has wanted a Denali since the '02 models came out, but we couldn't afford it. She loves everything about them and we tell our neighbors about how we like them and they go out and buy one the next day. Tell me that you wouldn't be pissed if your neighbors went out and bought the car you have been wanting for so long, even after they tell you they hate that particular car and they are just doing it to piss you off?

#31 ·
IT'S SUBURBAN WARFARE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.