: Remote Starter range

dan_c
03-14-08, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know the range of the factory installed remote starter? I have a Viper 2-way remote in my 2004, and I'm getting a 2008 in a couple months. I wanted to know if I should have my Viper reinstalled in my new Escalade. I get more than a quarter mile range right now.

caddycruiser
03-14-08, 05:41 PM
The factory remote start range is rather limited, which has been an ongoing topic here and elsewhere in regards to all of the GM vehicles now with it.

It will not compare to your past Viper system, most likely, but you'll have to decide if it's worth the complications of having that installed in the new or just living with it as is and completely clean stock. The only specified range I've seen published was for the new GM Accessory remote with the LCD screen that shows various information, said to have a 1000ft range. I believe that's further than the typical stock remotes, but varies depending on the situation.

hcvone
03-17-08, 09:46 AM
Some times you can start the truck a long distance away, other times it's limited to 50 ft, I had a Viper system and it had a longer range, if that is important.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-08, 11:23 AM
Maybe we got lucky with our 2007 Escalade, because the range has been at least a couple hundred feet. We can unlock, lock and start the car from a very long distance. My 2007 STS-V is the same way. I guess I got lucky!

SG

mattroberts123
03-19-08, 10:15 AM
The factory remote start range is rather limited, which has been an ongoing topic here and elsewhere in regards to all of the GM vehicles now with it.

It will not compare to your past Viper system, most likely, but you'll have to decide if it's worth the complications of having that installed in the new or just living with it as is and completely clean stock. The only specified range I've seen published was for the new GM Accessory remote with the LCD screen that shows various information, said to have a 1000ft range. I believe that's further than the typical stock remotes, but varies depending on the situation.

GM Accessory remote with the LCD ???? Where can we find out more about and or order this?

mparmar23
03-19-08, 02:25 PM
I would stick with the Viper. The factory range is horrible. I got a Clifford Avantguard 5.1 installed and the range is so much better, it's really ridiculous...Good Luck to you...

hcvone
03-19-08, 02:32 PM
I was testing mine this morning, on my newer truck it would start from over 200 ft away, I was amazed.

sj1400
03-20-08, 04:48 PM
I recommend the 2 way Viper you have for the increased security & range. Use the search as look for the old security thread. Only downside I see to using the Viper - the factory remote start automatically heats or cools the seats depending on temp.