Cadillac Owners Forum banner
808 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Hendrixlives33611 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a new member and a new owner of a 1976 8.2, 425 FI Sedan DeVille that I got for $350. I've never owned or really even been under the hood of a caddy (primarily mopar experience). According to the dude I bought it from, it ran before it was sat on the side of his neighbors house for however long, and according to the title, I am the third owner after his neighbor, and his neighbors daughter. Interior (other than the seats) is trash, chassis rust doesn't look to bad, and exterior is unusually good for florida weather (will post pictures as soon as I have time). We got it to start by splashing some gas directly but it wouldn't run for more than 2 seconds. Anyway, the information I have been given by these forums has been invaluable, but I am especially handicapped and need some help.

1. I've read about the seafoam and mystery stuff on these forums, but on the website it says I need to keep it running so Im wondering where to start on the fuel line to get it running. and any other tips on getting this beast running are welcome.

Other than that I just plan on doing any other routine things I can to get this thing started. I have limited experience and a limited budget so I dont want to buy any unnecessary new parts without finding out its just a matter of fuel issues.

Thanks, Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
Just one note: the 1976 8.2 litre is a 500 cid, not 425. The 425 ran from 1977 through 1979. :)

Wish I could be of more help, but I'd be asking the same questions in your predicament.

Ben

#6 ·
The computer, that among many things, completes the fuel pump circuit is under the dash, I think in the center? The multi wire plug that plugs into it has the wire to operate the 2 electric fuel pumps. That connector over the years melts and wont stay plugged in. Thus disabling the fuel pumps. So, look there first for heat damage. Sometimes you can cut the wire out of the plug and secure it directly into the computer. The fuel injection system was produced for Cadillac by BOSCH in Germany from about 1976 to 1979. The 76 thru 79 Sevilles used the same system but with smaller injectors so alot of fuel delivery systems will work on your car from that car. Pouring fuel directly can cause a backfire and at a minimum you will loose your eyebrows!! Not a safe thing to do!

#8 ·
ah benzilla a supporting member i see!

i'll follow suit someday.

okay first of all check your fuses. same thing happened in my suburban the ECM-I fuse blew and wouldnt start, just cranked. check to see if you're getting a spark too. but check all fuses to make sure nothings broken. also if it's been sitting i would give it an oil change. post back here and let us know if you're getting a spark. also unbolt the fuel line from the carb and see if when you crank it gas comes out. good luck!

#11 ·
I appreciate all this, every time I go to the car I get to check something new. I checked the fuses and couldn't find any blown. I also checked the computer, and none of the three wires going to it seemed to be damaged. Oil change is scheduled for tomorrow.

Today I also reviewed my Haynes and it says to listen through the gas neck for a whirring of the fuel pump. When I started it (with starting fluid this time) the whirring noise started after about 2 seconds of running but also whined to a stop at the same time as the engine.

So I guess what Im asking is if you all think that its the engine stopping the pump or if its the pump stopping the engine and whether or not I should start pulling off the tank?

Thanks again
Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.