: How seriously do you take the internet/car forums?

Blackout
03-14-08, 12:46 PM
I'm not naming any names but I got a PM from a member because of something said on here so I just wanted to get an idea as to how much people's lives are invested into the internet or more importantly car forums and how seriously you really take them. I'm mostly talking about the BS'ing factor and not the being able to find out information on cars and how to fix them, etc.

EcSTSatic
03-14-08, 12:51 PM
I make many financial decisions based on what I read on the internet. I'm very careful about the sources though. I'll usually look for multiple resources with regards to cars and such. There's too much subjective info IMO.

Blackout
03-14-08, 12:53 PM
I make many financial decisions based on what I read on the internet. I'm very careful about the sources though. I'll usually look for multiple resources with regards to cars and such. There's too much subjective info IMO.

I guess I worded my question wrong. I mean more along the lines of if me and you are BS'ing on this forum and then you or I say something that is busting someone's balls or questioning what they said more so then your finances and doing business on the internet.

urbanski
03-14-08, 12:55 PM
:haha:

Spyder
03-14-08, 12:57 PM
I use them to kill time and procrastinate, plus I'm interested in reading a lot of the thoughts of many of the people. Info is good too. There's a few people on here and on the other two forums I'm on, both gun forums, that I would call friends, but mostly its just random interaction to kill time and learn new info and perspectives on daily life.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-08, 12:57 PM
It's a fun place to hang out when I'm bored and chat with people who have similar interests. And occasionally, I'll make a friend with someone I've met on here. But I realize that this IS the internet, and everyone acts different on the internet, and a lot of what is said is not accurate.

EcSTSatic
03-14-08, 12:58 PM
I've challenged a few comments here and there. Mainly because I see a particular thread as a source of information and don't want to see someone being misled. Or maybe I am and I need to be set straight. If someone is just BS'ing, obviously joking etc, I could care less.

minnesotamom
03-14-08, 01:02 PM
Whatever. If it's on the internet, it must be true. That's what I always say.

Blackout
03-14-08, 01:05 PM
Whatever. If it's on the internet, it must be true. That's what I always say.

Exactly. I always think of this picture when people take the internet a little too seriously

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/FastSpecV/internet_serious_business.jpg

CadillacGurl
03-14-08, 01:36 PM
Already been posted:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/84321-whats-your-take-forums.html

thebigjimsho
03-14-08, 03:56 PM
You should add an option of: Couldn't care less...

Spyder
03-14-08, 06:11 PM
Ha, my example of "The internet is always right" is Bonsai Kitten!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-14-08, 07:30 PM
I guess I worded my question wrong. I mean more along the lines of if me and you are BS'ing on this forum and then you or I say something that is busting someone's balls or questioning what they said more so then your finances and doing business on the internet.

If I'm talking about my car, my posts are 100% accurate. If its about another GM car, 95%. If its about a mustang I am desperately trying to turn you away from them and towards a Camaro. :cool2:

LS1Mike
03-14-08, 08:21 PM
Well, I have never PMed anyone about anything said on board, because it just a board.
I say it in public for whole world to see. Just like I would if I saw you on the street.

It really depends on what I am reading about. There are some sites that have a very very good tech section with actual sponsors and shops that do actual installs chimming in from time to time and there are some sites that are more concerned about the plastic dash in some cars, I don't take the plastic dash ones seriously as their agenda is totally different.

RightTurn
03-14-08, 08:25 PM
You should add an option of: Couldn't care less...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/grammarpolice.jpg

eldorado99
03-14-08, 08:34 PM
There are people who take the internet seriously?

dkozloski
03-14-08, 08:58 PM
There are people who take the internet seriously?
Why is that such a surprise? There are people who take Al Gore seriously.

gary88
03-14-08, 09:00 PM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/from_the_internet.jpg

Submariner409
03-14-08, 09:21 PM
I frequent two forums in two guises: CF and an audio (LP's and tube electronics) discussion, because that is where my interests lie and where I may be able to pass on some hard-earned knowledge. Unfortunately there are many, if not a majority, who feel the need to be impressive or assume roles as an actor, and thereby hand down worthless pap. The Internet is a convenient disguise/retreat/ego trip for many, and part of the attraction, for me anyway, is the detective work involved in figuring out who is real and who would like to be real. One of the real treats in CF is the number of people who are intellectually stimulating, and when in a stance or argument, will thrust and parry as well as an experienced orator/instructor.

As Dexter Manley, when a Washington Redskin, once ruminated : "You can shit the fans, but you can't shit the players."

CTSV_Rob
03-14-08, 10:12 PM
... "You can shit the fans, but you can't shit the players."
Interesting but it does sound painful :eek:

Take it serious? Depends on who I am getting the information from. Some people are out there just to have a good time and bust your balls while others are truely here to gain valuable information.

I like to have a little fun (see comment above) and I watch out for some gems of information.

I am very happy with the Mods I have done to my car and that is due in a large part to this forum. This is why I support it.

eldorado99
03-14-08, 10:18 PM
Check your sarcasm meter, I think it's broken.

Why is that such a surprise? There are people who take Al Gore seriously.

Submariner409
03-14-08, 10:35 PM
HIJACK alarm.......!!!

Sarcasm??? Al Gore is a money-hungry politician. If he figured he could make more money and fame selling Venezuelan oil and ethanol, he'd do an about-face. The man is warped.

HITMONEY
03-14-08, 10:38 PM
For the record, it is "couldn't care less" not "could care less".

And I am of the former.

:)

Rolex
03-14-08, 10:44 PM
I come here to read, post, and relax. I like the attitude here as opposed to some of the other internet forums I've visited in the past. I think each user's personality comes through in their posts, and so I feel like I "get to know" people by chatting with them online. I take people here seriously in the sense that even though you have some level of anonymity on the internet, the people you chat with are more genuine then some you will meet in person.

trukk
03-14-08, 10:46 PM
This thread should be locked. It is eating away at the bedrock of my REALITY.

-chris

illumina
03-14-08, 11:21 PM
I remember a long time ago Blackout that we were flaming each other over something totally stupid. To be honest, it pissed me off then, but then I realized that it is just the internet and that kind of Scheiße just makes me giggle now.

That said, I have observed what you're talking about in some of the kill threads and I am taking a shot in the dark when I am guessing who you're talking about. Personally, I think you two should get together and have a fist fight, get it on video, and post it!

That said, this goes both ways: does what someone says on a forum bother you enough to make it a personal fight? I think in that case, both of you guys are affected and both need to think about what's going on. And please, get that aforementioned fight on video; I'm tired of watching the UFC and need to see real action :D

CTSV_Rob
03-14-08, 11:41 PM
Saw a UFC fight and there was just too much hugging for me :D

Just beat the piss out of each other, that's what I want to see.

dkozloski
03-14-08, 11:49 PM
I prefer the old Indian truth test. You lash their left hands together with rawhide, hand each one a butcher knife and they go at it.

If their are more than two guys everybody grabs a hula hoop with one hand and has a .38 revolver in the other. The guy that walks away with the hoola hoop wins.

Central American indians play a game of "chicken" where they all sit in a circle around a big campfire. Somebody lights the fuse on a stick of dynamite and it's passed around the circle. The guy who throws the dynamite into the center of the circle is chicken. If nobody is chicken somebody is lacking a hand.

illumina
03-15-08, 12:08 AM
Saw a UFC fight and there was just too much hugging for me :D

Just beat the piss out of each other, that's what I want to see.

Damn right!

The UFC is too "correct" now. I like the old days when business was finished when the other guy was drinking his own blood or when Gracie just hugged someone to the point of sleeping. I miss the old days where the fighters fought three times a night, and when they lost, that was it. Oh, and the Karate - other martial arts uniforms they were allowed to wear. And no gloves...

CTSV_Rob
03-15-08, 01:10 AM
I prefer the old Indian truth test. You lash their left hands together with rawhide, hand each one a butcher knife and they go at it.

If their are more than two guys everybody grabs a hula hoop with one hand and has a .38 revolver in the other. The guy that walks away with the hoola hoop wins.

Central American indians play a game of "chicken" where they all sit in a circle around a big campfire. Somebody lights the fuse on a stick of dynamite and it's passed around the circle. The guy who throws the dynamite into the center of the circle is chicken. If nobody is chicken somebody is lacking a hand.

FTW.

Wow, to cool.

Damn right!

The UFC is too "correct" now. I like the old days when business was finished when the other guy was drinking his own blood or when Gracie just hugged someone to the point of sleeping. I miss the old days where the fighters fought three times a night, and when they lost, that was it. Oh, and the Karate - other martial arts uniforms they were allowed to wear. And no gloves...
Agreed, The old UFC was MUCH better.

dkozloski
03-15-08, 02:30 AM
FTW.

Wow, to cool.

Agreed, The old UFC was MUCH better.

Go into a lumberjack's bar and when you finish your drink, turn your glass upside down on the bar in front of you and you'll get to see the fight up close. The inverted glass is the universal signal that you think you can whip anybody in the place. It's even more fun when you turn your buddy's glass upside down in front of him.

CTSV_Rob
03-15-08, 02:59 AM
Now turning the Buddies glass would be the Thing to do. :D

If I ever go for a drink with you Koz I will need to make sure I stay sharp...

urbanski
03-15-08, 09:00 AM
This thread should be locked. It is eating away at the bedrock of my REALITY.

-chris
FTW.

thebigjimsho
03-15-08, 03:05 PM
For the record, it is "couldn't care less" not "could care less".

And I am of the former.

:)Post #11...

Eld01
03-16-08, 07:04 PM
I come here to get information if I don't know something. I evaluate what I read, then use what I believe is revelant to the problem for a possible solution. That part I try to take seriously. If it's just BSing, then I don't take anything to heart.

93DevilleUSMC
03-16-08, 07:27 PM
I take this forums as any other online source: you have the reliable info mixed right in with those who who pretend to know what they are talking about. The former seem to outnumber the latter, though.

I love coming here to catch Cadillac news and rumors, and to BS with fellow Caddy nuts. Another thing I love are the number of fellow vets on this site.

last but not least, this is one very good group of people to have around during bad times. See the support I got when I posted the thread about my dog for proof of that.