: Fishing. Rods and Reels. Manufactured in China!!!

Spyder
03-14-08, 11:50 AM
So, I got an itch to go buy some new fishing gear the other day. If I can't catch the little buggers, I might as well spend money on 'em, eh?

I couldn't find a SINGLE goddamned rod or reel that wasn't made in China. Abu Garcia, Quantum, Berkely, Ugly Stick, Shimano, etc etc etc. ALL of them were made in China...And we all know how much I HATE buying chinese crap or sending my money over there...

Anyone know of any Made in the USA brands of fishing gear that are worth a damn?

DILLIGAF
03-14-08, 11:52 AM
I believe the higher end Fenwicks are American made.Reels I don't know,look on Cabelas web sight.

CadillacGurl
03-14-08, 12:07 PM
Damn... I'm browsing the Dick's Sporting Goods website looking... I'm finding alot of China... I'll keep you posted...

dkozloski
03-14-08, 01:52 PM
One word, Orvis.

"G$"
03-14-08, 02:13 PM
One word, Orvis.

One word, Amen.

Please support Orvis out of Sunderland, VT. Orvis needs your business!

dkozloski
03-14-08, 02:20 PM
One advantage to Orvis. I purchased a bamboo fly rod from them years ago for about $400 that now sells regularly on the collectors market for thousands if you can find one.

JTraik
03-14-08, 02:35 PM
One word, Amen.

Please support Orvis out of Sunderland, VT. Orvis needs your business!

Vermont is probably the last state in the US that I would support, but hey it's still American made right?

dkozloski
03-14-08, 03:06 PM
Vermont is probably the last state in the US that I would support, but hey it's still American made right?
Nobody is asking you to contribute to Bernie Sanders.

"G$"
03-14-08, 03:20 PM

don't knock it 'til you've tried it

Vermont is a pretty damn cool state.

dkozloski
03-14-08, 03:33 PM
don't knock it 'til you've tried it

Vermont is a pretty damn cool state.
Like Alaska, Vermont lets you carry a concealed firearm without a permit.

"G$"
03-14-08, 03:35 PM
Like Alaska, Vermont lets you carry a concealed firearm without a permit.

yeah, and there's good fishing, hunting, wildlife, sno-mobiling, skiing, beer, etc. just like alaska.

Spyder
03-14-08, 06:12 PM
Orvis is all fly fishing stuff though, right? I'm looking for baitcasting (some) and spinning gear...

DILLIGAF
03-14-08, 06:43 PM
Orvis is all fly fishing stuff though, right? I'm looking for baitcasting (some) and spinning gear...No,they have all types of poles.They do not have near the selection of Fenwick for garden variety spinning,casting,flipping poles.I do own a nice Orvis spinning rod,however most won't drop 400 bucks on an IMX.IMO,orvis is over rated,your buying a name and a premium product,with Fenwick you still get the premium product.Or like the Girl sudgested you could go to a Dicks store and buy the factory promo crap for the masses:banghead:.

Florian
03-14-08, 09:33 PM
Penn reels I think are still American made.

F

Spyder
03-14-08, 09:57 PM
Yea, I'm not THAT serious about it. I don't need the Cadillac of fishing gear...I'm happy with my sixty dollar pole and thirty five dollar reel, except for the fact that they're made in China. I just wish I could find some comparatively priced stuff that is made here.

Couldn't find a snap swivel ANYWHERE that is american made, and most of the lures are chinese as well...

Sad.

orconn
03-14-08, 11:48 PM
Do you have any idea what it cost to produce your $60.00 pole in China .......... Oh, about $2.50! We Americans don't want to by foreign produced ...... but we don't want to pay American produced prices either. Look at clothing; we pay about the same price for a piece clothing today that we paid back in the 60's and 70's .....and that's not adjusted $'s either!

Spyder
03-15-08, 02:03 PM
Ya haven't read any of my other rants on chinese crap, have ya? I'm MORE than willing to pay a premium for an equal product if its made in the USA. I've mentioned this on here many times...I'll pay an extra buck and a half for a bathtowel that is not made in Pakistan and I'll gladly pay an extra forty bucks to have a washing machine that was made right here instead of China...

My wife gets irritable with me sometimes because I always look to see WHERE the things I'm buying are made and oftentimes that's the deciding factor in whether I put it in the cart or back on the shelf.