: head light de-hazing

cateraowner
03-14-08, 01:14 AM
hey y'all,

you guys probably noticed since our cars are getting older, that the headlights are getting pretty nasty. well I thought I'd try and make my headlight look better. I thought I'd share with you guys my experience.

well this is what I did:

1) wet sanded the headlight for 30 mins (feels like forever) with 1500 weight sand paper

2) buff out with all purpose polish then wipe down with a micro fiber cloth

attached is the how mine turned out. I should have sanded a bit more but I got lazy.

callingmonroe
03-14-08, 11:08 AM
If you want this to be permanant. There is a kit available thru Advanced Auto Parts, comes in a silver bag. Basically it is what you did with one more step. It has a clear coat that seals the lens. I used it with much success on my 99. Yours looks great!

cateraowner
03-14-08, 11:37 AM
nice. that was the next thing I was gonna do.. it seemed to me that this wouldn't last long so I was gonna go out an buy a clear coat for it.. at least now I know there are products made especially for this.

Thanks

now I've gotta find out where people buy the light tints for my back lights

CateraMV6
03-14-08, 12:59 PM
I wonder if I can use the thing on my 01 Projector lenses as they have some weird scratches... they look great when wet but when they dry its a whole different story, I tried the sanding but the fading comes back after a month or two in the sun...

callingmonroe
03-16-08, 09:19 AM
go here www.decalfx.com

lots of stuff

cateraowner
03-16-08, 10:06 PM
oh man.. I'm soooo tempted to get a blue tint for my head and fog lights... just seem like I'll get a couple tickets....

Po Pimp
03-18-08, 11:02 PM
I just used light duty rubbing compound and a buffer attachment for my dremel. Didn't take to long.

Army_MP_From_MO
03-22-08, 10:47 PM
I just did mine two weeks ago. I used rubbing compound to take off the thick haze. I switched to Meguiars PlastX. I found that there are actually bulbs in the housing, SWEET!

gunther1000
04-01-08, 03:03 PM
mine were still like new so no need to sand them yet but it is good to know! Thanks