: Looking for some more power!

epitaph
03-13-08, 10:51 PM
So i just picked up a beautiful 2001 el dorado. Im sort of downgrading to this car after having a few project cars end up kinda rough (a big power diesel chevy and a ridiculiously hooked up legacy gt), but I'm actually pretty impressed with the car all around.

I'm here because i figured i'd spend some money on a few go fast parts for her. I did some internet searching which didn't help very much and im still reading through the threads here. I can't seem to find too many options:crying2::banghead::banghead:

Basically im looking to do a "full bolt on" set up (intake/full exhaust/headers(????)/pullies/any other goodies that these engines need) + a tune.
So...
Any reccomendations? options? experiences? good tuners/tunes?

also, how does this bad boy respond to some happy gas?:yup:

Submariner409
03-13-08, 11:23 PM
There are no, repeat NO, aftermarket or OEM "goodies" for your car. No pulleys. No headers. No intakes. No cams. No heads. No chips. No worthwhile air filters. No nitrous. No chrome goodies. What you have is what you got.

Spend a couple of 6-packs and some time searching the Seville, Deville, Northstar and Tech Tips. Look at the Tech archives at the top left of the ^^ page. Learn before doing.

........and there is NO room around the engine/transmission to work with pipes or headers. none. A bored TB or mod MAF usually produces a low-midrange throttle stumble from improper fuel/air ratios. The GM engineers did it all for you...........

fubar569
03-13-08, 11:27 PM
there are no bolt-on modifications for a N* per se...

headers? better bust out a welder and about 3 months of your spare time to engineer and produce a set...it is a VERY TIGHT FIT...then you'll have to contend with eliminating the stock exhaust crossover and re-route EGR...plus your exhaust now runs under your oil/trans pan thereby reducing ground clearance by 1" plus...

intake? eh...sorry...nothin happening. just gut the stock box. a K&N has been shown to provide no measurable increase (or a very marginal one within error of dyno)- most CAI/RAI will reduce HP on a N*...

exhaust? aside from the 1200 dollar corsa for sevilles and devilles, you are SOL. bust out the welder or have a shop make a custom 3" catback for you (or dual 2.5" like i did myself for my 97)

underdrives? nope...don't exist...

you CAN have your TB bored out to 80mm by a shop...worth 5-10hp...

Tuning? seek out AJxtcman and his tuning thread...he is your ONLY hope...

as far as spraying the car...we have a member that sprayed his eldo to a 13.9 pass on a 100 shot with a gutted stock airbox. wydopnthrtl? (or something like that) was his username.

overall, best course of action...

extrude-hone stock manifolds if you feel the need, custom 3" catback with low restriction mufflers and high-flow cat...gut stock airbox and open up the passages....bore TB to 80mm...seek AJfor a tune....and thats about all you can do besides juice it...

JC316
03-13-08, 11:50 PM
Sorry to say that you bought the wrong car for bolt ons unless you can fabricate your own. If you want something thats luxury, but moddable, I would recommend a Lincoln Mark VIII.

CadillacSTS42005
03-14-08, 12:13 AM
didnt we JUST have a thread like this yesterday....

and not true
you can modify an Eldo
but mine has the only obd-2 chip...
AJs the only programmer...

NAFTA
03-21-08, 02:48 AM
it can be modified, as a matter of fact there is a website offering a turbo for the northstar 4.6 engine, and I've seen a custom intercooler/turbo on a 4.6 sevile with the intercooler inside the bottom bumper where it takes air through the gap in it. don't know the exact specs of the improvements, but sure there are many things you can do. when a car weighs 4800 pounds, it's hard to give it easy HP and expect it to move significantly faster. You can put magnaflow or flowmasters on it, but besides a real mean sound, i don't think it's gonna help your HP a great deal.

AJxtcman
03-21-08, 07:45 AM
So i just picked up a beautiful 2001 el dorado. Im sort of downgrading to this car after having a few project cars end up kinda rough (a big power diesel chevy and a ridiculiously hooked up legacy gt), but I'm actually pretty impressed with the car all around.

I'm here because i figured i'd spend some money on a few go fast parts for her. I did some internet searching which didn't help very much and im still reading through the threads here. I can't seem to find too many options:crying2::banghead::banghead:

Basically im looking to do a "full bolt on" set up (intake/full exhaust/headers(????)/pullies/any other goodies that these engines need) + a tune.
So...
Any reccomendations? options? experiences? good tuners/tunes?

also, how does this bad boy respond to some happy gas?:yup:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/134800-new-mods-customers-cars.html

There are no, repeat NO, aftermarket or OEM "goodies" for your car. No pulleys. No headers. No intakes. No cams. No heads. No chips. No worthwhile air filters. No nitrous. No chrome goodies. What you have is what you got.

Spend a couple of 6-packs and some time searching the Seville, Deville, Northstar and Tech Tips. Look at the Tech archives at the top left of the ^^ page. Learn before doing.

........and there is NO room around the engine/transmission to work with pipes or headers. none. A bored TB or mod MAF usually produces a low-midrange throttle stumble from improper fuel/air ratios. The GM engineers did it all for you...........

I see a lot of anger:hmm: What is up SUB?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/134800-new-mods-customers-cars.html

Sorry to say that you bought the wrong car for bolt ons unless you can fabricate your own. If you want something thats luxury, but moddable, I would recommend a Lincoln Mark VIII.

didnt we JUST have a thread like this yesterday....

and not true
you can modify an Eldo
but mine has the only obd-2 chip...
AJs the only programmer...

CadillacSTS42005
03-21-08, 08:18 AM
lol
i never knocked you AJ
i said ur the one to see!

codewize
03-21-08, 08:24 AM
Yeah come on, search a little before asking this question. We get tired of typing the same no no no over and over again.

Submariner409
03-21-08, 08:25 AM
Anger, AJ ?? Nope, just plain tired of dumb questions on butchering a nice car before reading the past 4 years of threads and advice on how to care for and slightly modify a Northstar setup. Your PCM work is available but still in the development/proving stages, and even you have to admit, you can't just walk into some parts house and find anything other than spark plugs for a Northstar.

The turbo setup is well documented in this site. Custom, one-off job, start to finish. $12,000+.

"New mods in customers cars" ????? A painted plastic intake manifold ?? Good for 45 HP, right ?? (Oh, the PCM. That's an in-house copy, right ??)

AJxtcman
03-21-08, 08:48 AM
lol
i never knocked you AJ
i said ur the one to see!

I sorry if I came across that way STS. :ill:
I would like you to add to the Mod thread

Anger, AJ ?? Nope, just plain tired of dumb questions on butchering a nice car before reading the past 4 years of threads and advice on how to care for and slightly modify a Northstar setup. Your PCM work is available but still in the development/proving stages, and even you have to admit, you can't just walk into some parts house and find anything other than spark plugs for a Northstar.

The turbo setup is well documented in this site. Custom, one-off job, start to finish. $12,000+.

"New mods in customers cars" ????? A painted plastic intake manifold ?? Good for 45 HP, right ?? (Oh, the PCM. That's an in-house copy, right ??)

My Tune is NOT a Factory Tune REPACKAGED!

I don't in anyway think it is in a developmental stage!

I have had tunes in a car for over a year!!!!!!

The 98 and 99 Seville stuff is covered! Cleanly

The 2000 to 2003 is cover as well.
Speed limiter is 100%.
Fuel and Spark I have covered. It may not be the same way that I can do a 99 OLD's Series 1 tune, but I can change it.

I need to work on the Torque Management side before the results will start to so. Yes I am stuck on the amount of power that I can produce. I can turn it up low end, but the max is the magic number for some people!

I need to find this in the program and turn it up.
Wait Wait the guy's did this on the Trailblazer SS's and cause transmission failures.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/PCM%20Stuff/11.jpg

SO DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS?

tateos
03-21-08, 12:54 PM
Not that I am interested for myself, but has anyone investigated porting/polishing the heads? I have not read any mention of it. Maybe the heads flow better from the factory than the restrictive exhaust system on FW Cadillacs will allow?

codewize
03-21-08, 09:15 PM
Hey AJ, I thought you had vanished on us. :) You know I'll back your tunes all the way. If you have anything new for me please let me know. I want maximum torque :) I also want that damn abuse control disabled or at least controlled during a dyno run.

BTW whats the progression on that other deal?

AlBundy
03-21-08, 10:13 PM
You know you guys should take it a little easy on the newbs on this search before you post thing. All they want is the answer as quick as they can get it or just don't know any better. If you feel it's that big of a big problem why don't you pm Sal and see if he can set it up where newbs need to search 2 or 3 times before they can create a thread like the pm thing.

stngh8r
03-25-08, 04:40 PM
Well said AlBundy.:yup:

What facinates me is, I keep seeing the same nay sayer's and "do a search" folks over and over. Why waste the energy? If your not interested in a post or feel that a topic is not worth your time and energy, DON'T READ IT! While were on that subject, I would like to remind everyone, that the original post did mention a search but without the results desired.

-Yes. Popular questions are going to be asked many times over a 4 year period. Thats fine, this board is slow enough without discouraging new posts.
-Yes. A wise investigator will use the search feature and browse in the early posts. Not everyone will be that effiecient though.
-No. Mr. and Mrs. 5 billion post count, you do not have to respond to every post you read. The forum can survive without your negative inputs.

Moving on. epitaph: You are not alone in your search for more power. Your on the right road and most of your questions have been answered by previous posts. By all means let us know your results and share the fruits of your efforts. Alot of folks just like you are eager for mod information. I have just begun, I started gutting out my airbox last night. I am looking forward to an improved exhaust setup in the near future, I would like to go full exhaust from the front to back, but will likely start with mufflers only.

Eric

Raze
03-25-08, 10:31 PM
Guys, how long did it take for you all to forget my mega post which could have precluded this whole thread, also someone should edit it and add AJ's ability to custom tune OEM PCMs:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/104954-performance-parts-mega-post.html

There is plenty that can be done, just not in the traditional off the shelf bolt on side. Ross makes forged pistons at various compression ratios, Eagle forged rods, Then you can juice your N* till she blows. The biggest single problem are the head bolts but on the 00+ years GM changed the casting of the block and the head bolts to overcome the issues of the 99- N*s. The real trick with the N* power options is tuning or modifying the stock computer and maintain all of the integrated features of the car. Of course you can run forced induction but you will need a piggyback or full up stand alone which will disable certain features of your vehicle which most people here don't want to since a 4000 lb FWD automatic makes a poor choice for a 'performance' car.

Also, Mark99STS turbo'd his STS (the one mentioned previously). I spoke with him over the phone a few years back and his setup was more like north of $18k and he even did a considerable amount of work himself. That's how expensive it is to do the custom work on a car like this.