: Me and the 2010 Camaro Z28

Stoneage_Caddy
03-13-08, 08:20 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/stoneage_caddy/0311081605.jpg
Well , you prolly know im a car guy. Ive studied anything and everything about GM all my life. 2 things i follow closely are the new cars and how there devloped , the other is design , how the lines of the car flow , who drew it , things like that. Most guys talk Joe Montana , Michael Jordan. My heros growing up were Wanye Cherry , John Cafaro , Bill Mitchel etc.

Couple years ago i saw a couple cars all covered in black vynal , took pictures of them knowing they were a new car being tested before GM would reveal it to the public. They turned out to be the Caddy XLR.

Tuesday Im at work , I run over to chevy to pick up my freind dennis. As me and dennis head back i see 2 coupes , all black , no markings and michigan plates. They were the 2010 camaro, the guys driving them were engineers from GM and they were just chillin in the chevy lot working away on one car with an A/C problem. I got to talk to the engineers , they told me how they got to where they are , what they took in school , what they did before gm , EVERYTHING.

To talk to the people ive read so much about over the years was like a normal guy getting to have dinner with eva longoria or shoot some hoops with jordan. I came away thinking "hey this is very possible for me". The ammount of excitement in me was damn close to the first time i had sex, it was that damned good. Im such a dork ...Even had dennis take my picture standing with the camaro...

So right now im looking at how possible it is , what needs done , where i need to go and do , and if this is really something i need to chase. Ive got a life as it is , and its going places , and to throw that away to chase a dream of mine that i had as a kid not knowing if it IS really something i want to do. And if there is a happy medium between that and where i am now.

AS FOR THE CARS

These were 2 2010 camaros. One is a 6 speed manual , the other a automatic. Boath are V8 cars. The engineers were with the Small Block section of the Powertrain group. They began testing down here with the small block powerd Impala SS that came out a couple years ago. They told me that our high heat and humitity give the cylander deactivation system fits. The automatic car was having issues with its A/C , the lead guy grabbed the laptop that was in the car and began working ont he calibration. So as i talked witht he one free engineer about life at GM i looked over the 6 speed car best i could.

These were rather crudely put together. These are "beta" series cars , alphas are very cobbled together where the betas are cars put together with peices that came from the suppliers but all the kinks on how to put them on and final tolerances havent came up. One neat toy is the "torque meter". I saw this first in the SSR a few years ago its a guage that tells you how much torque your unleashing on those poor tires. This one sits in the pod infront of the shifter with 3 other small guages each in there own cube ala the 68 camaro. The rear end is indepenednt rear suspension , but looks totally diffrent then whats on the CTS , the diff case is aluminum and i think it was a getrag. The exaust is setup almost identical to the outgoing CTS-V. Almost as if that is where it came from. Once again tho no looks under the hood and no hard numbers on horsepower , i couldnt even get a number on displacement.

I will say one thing even if the interior was finished , and put together perfectly it is still hands down the worst interior i have ever seen. Its as if a redneck took parts off a 68 camaro and grafted them to the dash from a cobalt. Its terrible from a desgin standpoint. Pictures dont do it justice , its abosultely aweful , and im one of the few that never have a complant about ANY gm interior....Regardless of year....

DILLIGAF
03-13-08, 08:28 PM
Way to go Stoney!And the shirt only makes you look like a dork.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-13-08, 08:30 PM
Standard issue shirts from volvo , got no choice there since i work for volvo

DILLIGAF
03-13-08, 08:41 PM
Standard issue shirts from volvo , got no choice there since i work for volvo
You guys should get in an Industrial Bowling League next winter,you gots the uniforms.:highfive:

xshrpshtr
03-13-08, 08:46 PM
lucky boy...

CadillacGurl
03-13-08, 09:50 PM
sexy camaro :drool:

RightTurn
03-13-08, 10:00 PM
You guys should get in an Industrial Bowling League next winter,you gots the uniforms.:highfive:

LOL @ RP.

Mike! Go for the dream, babe...you only go around once. :yup:

gary88
03-13-08, 10:16 PM
That's really cool, that thing looks so badass.

I'll agree with you on the interior, it does nothing for me. Too much retro, not enough innovation.

Florian
03-13-08, 10:29 PM
Imagine the poontang youd get in that rig!

F

Stoneage_Caddy
03-13-08, 10:32 PM
May not need it ...

Got invited to a party in ybor this weekend ....An all girl crew that does parades and chairty stuff has a party going on , closed party ....and somehow yours truely gets to go .....Freind of mine is in a crew too , so hes bringin me and 3 other dudes ....so the ratio works out to 53:5 ....should be interesting

Florian
03-13-08, 10:43 PM
thats over 10:1....nice ratio. I went to a college that had a 3:1 girls to guys ratio...problem was 2.9 of the chicks were fooking awful looking.
Hope the pickin is better for you that it was for me.....keep some Jimmyhats ready.

F

Florian
03-13-08, 10:44 PM
BTW, wheres your cup and gun?

F

Stoneage_Caddy
03-13-08, 10:45 PM
cup and gun ???

96Fleetwood
03-13-08, 10:47 PM
Nice! That must have been neat to see, sorry to hear about the interior though....

I see taped up/masked concept cars driving from Detroit to Chicago and back all the time. Still haven't been able to snap a picture in time or see one stopped.

xshrpshtr
03-14-08, 04:15 AM
make sure and wear that shirt...

Katshot
03-14-08, 08:08 AM
Congrats Mike. I know how you must have felt. I'll be honest with you though, in "most" cases, being on the inside isn't very glamorous, and in the end makes you less excited about the cars overall. Kind of like turning a hobby into a job if you know what I mean.
Hope all is well other wise with you.

C&C
03-14-08, 11:16 AM
Hopefully being a beta car they haven't firmed up the look of the interior yet. But anyway, way cool you got to see the "Z". Thanks for sharing.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-08, 11:57 AM
I'm jealous. I wish us Northland Chevy dealers got to see cool cars like that!

xshrpshtr
03-14-08, 05:19 PM
how come there's no pic of stoney rockin' the dash?

Florian
03-14-08, 05:31 PM
cup and gun ???

see avatar. :thepan:

F

caddycruiser
03-14-08, 07:41 PM
Congrats Mike. I know how you must have felt. I'll be honest with you though, in "most" cases, being on the inside isn't very glamorous, and in the end makes you less excited about the cars overall. Kind of like turning a hobby into a job if you know what I mean.
Hope all is well other wise with you.

Yes...and graduating with a Mechanical Engineering degree in, uh, 2 months, I realize that quite a bit from experiences myself. In the end, it's just like anything in the passion/talent vs. job category. I myself just need to fill that latter space in, hopefully soon...with who knows what;)

JimmyH
03-14-08, 08:32 PM
I love that frickin car.