: Anyone else wear polarized sunglasses

ahahnu
03-13-08, 08:07 PM
I recently got a pair of polarized sunglasses. Sincethen i have noticed some cool things. They make like alot clearer and removes glare off the windshield. The wierd thing is I see things on my windows. When looking in the rearview, I see the white splotches on the rear windshield. When I remove the glasses, they aren't there. I notice it on other cars too, not just mine. This next thing drives me crazy. I was driving the other day and I looked out my driver's window, it was open a crack, along the top was what appeared to be black smoke. Maybe an inch along the top, from front to back. Took off the shades, not there. Then when driving on different roads it was a on again off again thing. Can anyone explain this?

xshrpshtr
03-13-08, 08:20 PM
If you wear tin foil on your head it lessens the effects of the cosmic rays...

J/K I have some. They are the best types for your eyes.

c5 rv
03-13-08, 08:25 PM
If you don't want to see those things that are caused by the way the polarizing process blocks light from certain directions, there are plenty of non-polarized sunglasses to choose from. BTW, they also screw with the radio display on my SRX and the HUD on my old vette. Turning my head helps.

However, my Lincoln with a cashmere interior has a nasty reflection of the defroster in the windshield that my polarizing sunglasses eliminates.

NOT ON MY WATCH
03-13-08, 08:35 PM
I have always worn polarized glasses as an adult - they're terrific. However, the lenses may cause you to not see certain LCD-based screens or displays properly (or at all), and it may show "effects" in areas of glass that has UV protection or certain tint.

Rolex
03-13-08, 09:55 PM
Yup, Costa Del Mar fishing glasses. They're great for cutting glare off the water surface when you're fishing. You can see fish in the White River 10 feet deep. :cool2:

CadillacGurl
03-13-08, 10:45 PM
I know a lot of people who get Lasik eye surgery have to wear polarized sunglasses, Jason included :)

heavymetals
03-13-08, 10:56 PM
You can see the polarizing effect if you rotate the glasses.

The spots will change position.

My Maui Jims play hell with my HUD in Mr. Vette.

MauiV
03-13-08, 11:03 PM
Maui Jims are the only brand I wear. Rear windows in the car ahead look crazy and some bank atms text wont even show up. First time I rolled up on an atm that was effected I thought it was out of order until I pulled up my glasses.

Standing above the beach in Maui you get the full effect and the vivid blues and greens that the polarized lenses offer. They sell themselves in that enviroment, you just dont get that standing in The Sunglass Hut in the mall.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-13-08, 11:10 PM
Mine were made by carerra ...they do crazy things out there on the road ..

they also show off imperfections in paint , blank out any LCD screen ,and change some colors...... but ....and heres the cool part

when im fishing , it gives me the ability to see deeper in the water ...and i love that

gary88
03-13-08, 11:18 PM
I've had polarized Ray Bans for three years now, love 'em.

Florian
03-13-08, 11:26 PM
I've had polarized Ray Bans for three years now, love 'em.

+1 Ive worn RayBan Polarized Predator 8's for about 10 years now....love em.

F

codewize
03-13-08, 11:28 PM
I refuse to wear sunglasses that aren't polarized. Why would you?

codewize
03-13-08, 11:29 PM
I had a pair of those. My wife broke them by kneeling on them while on our second date. She was climbing across the front seat of my 90 Fleetwood and I heard 'CRACK' that was that.

+1 Ive worn RayBan Polarized Predator 8's for about 10 years now....love em.

F

CadillacGurl
03-14-08, 12:23 AM
Forgot to add my Dad wear them, RayBan is all that he wears :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-08, 01:50 AM
I wish I could buy some sunglasses that arent $350!!! (prescription)

HITMONEY
03-14-08, 04:29 AM
I love Revo polarized... Can't wear them in my sled though, all I see is rainbows through the polarized tint on the windows and windsheild.

codewize
03-14-08, 10:15 AM
LOL Yeah that'll happen.

I love Revo polarized... Can't wear them in my sled though, all I see is rainbows through the polarized tint on the windows and windsheild.

gary88
03-14-08, 12:39 PM

Says the resident S class owner :thepan:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-14-08, 12:41 PM

Dude, get clip-ons. That's what I've got and they are great. I just leave the clip-ons in my car because that's the only time I ever use them. They have gotten way better too, mine are held on by magnets and weigh nothing. My dad has clip-ons plus the transition lenses, so he never needs to take the clip-ons out of the car. My frames were only like $150 and they are made by Guess.

slk230mb
03-14-08, 12:49 PM
My prescription sun glasses are polarized and I love them. I keep telling myself I need to get laser eye surgery so I can wear regular sunglasses, but I need to save up more for the procedure first.

JTraik
03-14-08, 03:39 PM
Another cool trick you can do with polarized glasses is to take two pairs, put one in front of the other and rotate them 90 degrees while looking through the lenses. If they are truly polarized they will COMPLETELY block out light every 90 degrees.

DRKSIDE
04-11-08, 11:19 AM
Another cool trick you can do with polarized glasses is to take two pairs, put one in front of the other and rotate them 90 degrees while looking through the lenses. If they are truly polarized they will COMPLETELY block out light every 90 degrees.

WOW! How bored were you?

I too wear polarized lenses but they can sometimes interfere with my laser vision. Gots to have me lasers on!

ok - don't know what got into me there. :alchi:

Brett
04-11-08, 11:34 AM
Unless you are around water, I dont see the point.....but I do have a pair for fishing

dkozloski
04-11-08, 03:53 PM
Many years ago I had a pair of military sunglasses that were adjustable for darkness. Each lense was a pair of polarized lenses that could be rotated with respect to each other by use of a little knob at the bridge. I later learned that they were supplied to bomber air crews to protect their eyes from a nuclear blast when dropping atom bombs.

Red_October_7000
04-11-08, 04:15 PM
Many years ago I had a pair of military sunglasses that were adjustable for darkness. Each lense was a pair of polarized lenses that could be rotated with respect to each other by use of a little knob at the bridge. I later learned that they were supplied to bomber air crews to protect their eyes from a nuclear blast when dropping atom bombs.

Were they by any chance "Polaroid Goggles"? I've seen those before and I want a pair, but I need regular glasses so they'd be rather useless.

Speaking of which, I got a decent pair of sun glasses made up at Sears for $180, but that was after a half-price deal with my regular glasses... Anyway, I can't get the laser surgery, I'm too bad (-7, -7.25) and my prescription hasn't been stable (though the changes are abating).

Sinister Angel
04-11-08, 06:17 PM
I've had a pair of polarized Oakley's for a couple of years and I love them. Also handy for photography when I want to make a decision about throwing a polarizer on.

By the way, for you types working for .mil or .gov, at www.usstandardissue.com you can get Oakley's for under $100

Eld01
04-15-08, 08:13 AM
I won't wear anything but polerized sunglasses. After the first pair, regular sunglasses did nothing but make everthing dark.