: Looking to buy used '03 to '05

jsimon77
03-13-08, 05:31 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this form. I'm looking to buy a used '03 to '05 Escalade. Ideally looking to find one with around 40k or less miles. It is going to be my 2nd car that I will drive a couple days a week. Plus I will use it to go to the mountains sometimes towing my jet ski and my boat now and then. Budget is tight and I'm looking to get the best deal I can while staying in the very low 20's.

Are these good trucks to buy used? How do they hold up over time? Other then standard stuff...anything I need to know about or look into as it relates to an '03 to '05?

Thanks so much!!

Jason

hcvone
03-14-08, 07:47 AM
Jason, welcome to the Forum. :) You can find low mileage used Escalade's if you look around, you just never know how it was maintained, the front diff can be a problem. Just keep looking you will find a good one. What area are you in?

jsimon77
03-14-08, 12:23 PM
I'm in the Los Angeles area. I have seen a few that seem really nice. Will getting a 2 wheel drive mean I won't have to worry about the front diff? I've also read about some tranny issues?

caddycruiser
03-14-08, 12:30 PM
I'm in the Los Angeles area. I have seen a few that seem really nice. Will getting a 2 wheel drive mean I won't have to worry about the front diff? I've also read about some tranny issues?

Yes, bingo;) Plus less weight and none of the extra drag from lugging around an extra transfer case everyday.

The ONLY thing with that is, 2wd models could only have the 5.3L V8 (same as in nearly every Tahoe, Yukon, Silverado, etc.) until late in the '05 model year run when they switched over and made the 6.0L from the typical AWD models standard in 2wd's as well. As is, with the weight and drag reduction from going 2wd, the 5.3L has more than enough grunt, runs happily on regular and gets better mileage, etc.

Or you can find a late '05 that's 2wd and has the 6.0L, all depends on what's out there. A 2wd should at least be a little cheaper as well, but there are fewer of them, so it depends.