: 97 Seville Overheat Try This One

roger greeb
03-13-08, 06:00 PM
i have a 97 sev. sls and the same ol prob everyone has....overheating..except my mech has done head gask test...says ok...the first mech replaced a couple hoses and added "pellets" yes? no? whattodo my mech says no no no...he does pressure test...then says left side of radiator is 210 degrees rite side 90 degrees rad. blocked need new one. ok then why does it sometimes just run like a top after that diagnosis no heat prob. then just like that pow heatin problems, then back to normal a couple days the pow just like today there goes the needle. i love the car but its pushin me back to audi real real fast...o im a poor man dont got all that big bucks like most of ya i read on here...forgot i changed the thermostat and water pump is fine...i have spoken to quite a few mech. heck they charge as much as my lawyer and my doc but i need them worse..go figure anyway most say the same yadda yadda yadda gotta see the car..hello its runnin hot...this isnt rocket science is it guys? or mayb with caddy it is...i do know the nickel and dime actually HUGE dollars is drivin me crazy...my next step next week is new rad. and a block flush..my theory there is something foriegn in there movin around...am i crazy...i NEED HELP

zonie77
03-13-08, 09:11 PM
What "head gasket test" ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Ranger
03-13-08, 09:38 PM
If one side of the radiator is hot and the other is cold, it sounds like the radiator needs to be power flushed.

zonie77
03-14-08, 02:15 AM
i have a 97 sev. sls and the same ol prob everyone has....overheating..except my mech has done head gask test...says ok...the first mech replaced a couple hoses and added "pellets" yes? no? whattodo my mech says no no no...he does pressure test...then says left side of radiator is 210 degrees rite side 90 degrees rad. blocked need new one. ok then why does it sometimes just run like a top after that diagnosis no heat prob. then just like that pow heatin problems, then back to normal a couple days the pow just like today there goes the needle. i love the car but its pushin me back to audi real real fast...o im a poor man dont got all that big bucks like most of ya i read on here...forgot i changed the thermostat and water pump is fine...i have spoken to quite a few mech. heck they charge as much as my lawyer and my doc but i need them worse..go figure anyway most say the same yadda yadda yadda gotta see the car..hello its runnin hot...this isnt rocket science is it guys? or mayb with caddy it is...i do know the nickel and dime actually HUGE dollars is drivin me crazy...my next step next week is new rad. and a block flush..my theory there is something foriegn in there movin around...am i crazy...i NEED HELP

?!?!? Say what? ?!?!?

I would like to give you some of my free advice but I have a hard time understanding what has and what has not been done.

Was an exhaust gas test done? Are you losing coolant? Thermostat changed? Water pump drive checked? Purge line checked?

roger greeb
03-14-08, 04:41 AM
no exhaust test done...yes thermostat was last thing changed last week..yes water pump checked out ok...i dont know what type test was used for h gasket but compression is very good no water in oil or oil in water...

Krashed989
03-14-08, 06:35 AM
On a northstar engine you will probably never see water in the oil or oil in the water unless you have a cracked block or a hole in the cylinder wall... have the coolant checked for exhaust gasses.... With that much of a temp. difference I would be looking at a plugged radiator or a sticking thermostat.

zonie77
03-14-08, 12:19 PM
As Krashed said, oil in coolant doesn't happen til the gaskets are really burned. N*'s run smoothly even with bad HG's.

Have an exhaust gas test done. A radiator shop is a good place for that. Make sure you did not recently add coolant as that gives a false negative. Coolant has to be in there awhile.

A major reason to check this early so you don't waste time replacing other stuff if it's HG. Conversely if it's not HG you can concentrate on the cooling system.

Thanks for the clear answer. I know you wanted to rant.

roger greeb
03-14-08, 02:47 PM
a local mech explained to me today the reason the car does not run hot all the time is that perhaps a stop leak was used on the engine at sometime..im not the original owner...not pellets but it is a gel, similar to the old liquid glass, and that it is a "buger" to locate and get out even with a block flush, never heard of such stuff , liquid glass yes..heck..at this point i'll listen to anything..a lot of mechanics here in okla REFUSE to work on northstars period..cuz of this problem i miss my florida mechanic...o and the recent coolant...forget it not much old coolent left in that car..i think i own interest now in the coolant co. lol

zonie77
03-14-08, 03:29 PM
a local mech explained to me today the reason the car does not run hot all the time is that perhaps a stop leak was used on the engine at sometime..im not the original owner...not pellets but it is a gel, similar to the old liquid glass, and that it is a "buger" to locate and get out even with a block flush, never heard of such stuff , liquid glass yes..heck..at this point i'll listen to anything..a lot of mechanics here in okla REFUSE to work on northstars period..cuz of this problem i miss my florida mechanic...o and the recent coolant...forget it not much old coolent left in that car..i think i own interest now in the coolant co. lol

The use of a stop leak is a possibility. All the things you say are true, hard to remove and causes more problems than it fixes.

If you are losing a lot of coolant and don't see a leak it's probably HG's. It is a long job to replace them because it's a DOHC engine set up as FWD. The easiest way to fix it is to drop the cradle and then you can ge at everything easily. The hard way is to do it in the car...possible but crazy hard. Pulling the engine out the top is in between.

At this point pull the radiator out and flush it with a hose. See what you get out of it.