: Catera Won't Start

Brosepe
03-12-08, 10:30 PM
My car is driving me insane. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I've been changing parts on the car trying to get it to run all year. I changed the fuel pump relay, fuel filter, fuel pump, and crank position sensor. My car then ran fine for about a 2 weeks. I changed the upper radiator hose 2 Sundays ago and everything was fine. That Monday when I was driving to work the car turned off, I pulled over and it started right up. I drove the rest of the way to work with no problems. Then on the way home it turned off again, but again started right up. I checked the car when I got home but everything seemed fine. I checked for codes and the only one I got is for the speed sensor since my EBTC is out. Then Tuesday on the way to work it turned off again. I had to have the car towed home. The battery died from trying to start it. I replaced the battery today and can't get it to start. It cranks but won't start. I also don't have any fuel pressure. I've checked and there is power to the fuel pump relay and I could not find any bad fuses. Anybody have any ideas on what it could be?

callingmonroe
03-14-08, 07:29 AM
Are you loosing coolant anywhere? Are you sure? If not good. Also there is a forum in here about programing after a dead battery. Look for it. I read it the other day. The forum is not titled that but it could be that simple. i am not a mechanic, so I am not sure what to say. Perhaps call around to the dealers and speak to a someone. Anyway if I find some info I will post it and look for you. Hope you get it fixed cheaply.

SNOWANGEL
03-14-08, 12:07 PM
My car is driving me insane. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I've been changing parts on the car trying to get it to run all year. I changed the fuel pump relay, fuel filter, fuel pump, and crank position sensor. My car then ran fine for about a 2 weeks. I changed the upper radiator hose 2 Sundays ago and everything was fine. That Monday when I was driving to work the car turned off, I pulled over and it started right up. I drove the rest of the way to work with no problems. Then on the way home it turned off again, but again started right up. I checked the car when I got home but everything seemed fine. I checked for codes and the only one I got is for the speed sensor since my EBTC is out. Then Tuesday on the way to work it turned off again. I had to have the car towed home. The battery died from trying to start it. I replaced the battery today and can't get it to start. It cranks but won't start. I also don't have any fuel pressure. I've checked and there is power to the fuel pump relay and I could not find any bad fuses. Anybody have any ideas on what it could be?

I'm not a mechanic, but my 97 Catera used to have a similar problem, and it ended up being corrosion on the battery cables way down where it met the engine. I put new cables in and it was fine.

Brosepe
03-14-08, 10:50 PM
I have no coolant loss. I removed the hose to get to the ETBC and noticed it needed replacing so took care of it while in there. I'll check the battery cables tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I'll let you guys know what I find