Cadillac Owners Forum banner
16K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Cadillacboy 
#1 ·
Hi to all,
I have just sighned up to this forum as I have just purchased a beautiful 1967 Coupe Deville completly original with white walls, Can any one tell me if this model can be made into a convertable without to many major mods and also if it is difficult to fit air bag suspension.
I Live in Western Australia so if you would like to drop a line just to say hello
Cheers.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautifiul car!

I'm gonna move this to the proper (RWD 19xx-84 deVille/ RWD Brougham) section.

#3 ·
I wouldn't do any such thing. You'll destroy any and all historical value of the car. I'd love to own that just the way it is.

#6 ·
Anything can be done if you're willing to spend enough money. As mentioned, the frame will have to be reinforced to compensate for the loss of a fixed roof. The top will have to be a custom job as the stock top frame will not work (the coupe and convertible have different rooflines and different rear side glass). Air suspension would be a breeze by comparison. Cadillac used the same basic chassis from 1959 until 1970, and air suspension was an option until 1961 (more trouble than it was worth). A system such as was available from the factory in 1959 and 1960 would require an engine-driven compressor, piping, and valves and levels at each wheel. The system was designed to keep the car level in all conditions. You could also use a more modern electric compressor.

For myself, I would not do either of these things. It would ruin the authenticity of the car, and I like my cars factory spec. It would also be hideously expensive. However, it's not my car, so I have no say in the matter. In any case, you have a fabulous car. Enjoy!

Craig

#7 ·
Gorgeous car, and one of my all-time favorite Cadillacs. My folks had one like yours (black leather interior), and I'd kill to have one just like it.

Please think twice about trying to make it into a convert. Unless you have a bucket load of money and a crew who knows EXACTLY what it's doing, it'll wind up a hack job and I guarantee you'll be sorry you made the attempt.

#10 ·
Why would you do such a thing? I would consider that to be a sin.

Besides that it's gonna cost you a shit load of money:

chop roof (nicely)
re-inforce chassis
rebuild interior
replace quarter windows
replace windshield frame
install custom made top frame
etc

This is gonna be very expensive and if done wrong it will also look hideous.
Think twice before chopping a beautiful car; you're gonna regret this for a very long time.

#14 ·
If you want a convertible, why in the **** did you buy a coupe???

Just leave it stock, its only factory fresh once. I don't have a problem with customizing cars, but cutting up an unrestored orginal example is just heresy. Start with something rough and turn it into your custom creation.

#16 ·
This thread is more than a few months ,so by now he might have ruined the car or not , I hope he would keep it as it is
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.