: New Weiand Intake

shredder
03-12-08, 06:05 PM
http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/445/39/

Looks like a really solid product. Thoughts?

CTSV_510
03-12-08, 06:17 PM
try it and tell us how it works

They're claiming 30 hp 30 tq gain on the LS6.

trukk
03-12-08, 06:31 PM
I think that's the intake that Lunarx is Jonesin for.

-Chris

StealthViggen
03-12-08, 06:48 PM
I am waiting for availabilty on this one too. Looks like a killer street intake. I am hoping that this will put me into the 380+ whp range when combined with the following:
Kooks 1-3/4
K&N intake
Custom Catback
Crane Gold 1.8 rockers
Patriot Gold Dual Springs
90mm TB
Weiand Street Warrior
42 lb injectors
Custome tune

IT WILL HAPPEN!

AlmostAV
03-12-08, 06:51 PM
I would stay away. Go with the Fast, much better dyno proven results. Some ppl have lost power the weiand vs ls6 intake manifolds. IMO its more of a cosmetic thing. Save your money, do a camshaft instead, way more power can be found on this route.

type911
03-12-08, 07:44 PM
I would stay away. Go with the Fast, much better dyno proven results. Some ppl have lost power the weiand vs ls6 intake manifolds. IMO its more of a cosmetic thing. Save your money, do a camshaft instead, way more power can be found on this route.

I wasn't even aware independent testing of this intake vs Ls6/fast were out yet. Are you thinking of their Aluminum intake?

AlmostAV
03-12-08, 08:04 PM
I am, I was under the impression that it was just an aluminum one painted / anodized black. I retract my previous statement. How much are they? Its up to you man.....The Fast is a proven setup. Honestly, I wouldnt buy one, till you see the #'s.

CTSV_510
03-12-08, 08:09 PM
according to the video, they're $650 and made of the same plastic material as the stock one.

trukk
03-12-08, 08:19 PM
I am waiting for availabilty on this one too. Looks like a killer street intake. I am hoping that this will put me into the 380+ whp range when combined with the following:
Kooks 1-3/4
K&N intake
Custom Catback
Crane Gold 1.8 rockers
Patriot Gold Dual Springs
90mm TB
Weiand Street Warrior
42 lb injectors
Custome tune

IT WILL HAPPEN!

That is exactly where I am with a Fast 90/90, less the 1.8" Rockers. I do have a smooth bore intake tube though, which you didn't mention. All this on a Mustang Dyno, so it's very doable.

-Chris

StealthViggen
03-12-08, 08:26 PM
That is exactly where I am with a Fast 90/90, less the 1.8" Rockers. I do have a smooth bore intake tube though, which you didn't mention. All this on a Mustang Dyno, so it's very doable.

-Chris

I have K&N intake kit with tube, not just filter. If I am being optimistic, then 390's are possible, but I'd be happy with 380+. The street warrior should be out by end of april, and I am just waiting on that to do the install of all the parts. I can taste it.

jbss71
03-12-08, 08:31 PM
i'd stay away until numbers hit the streets. also looking around here not alot of you guys need more than a ported stock intake or a off the shelf FAST 90.

StealthViggen i would look into a cam and a retune first. also the 1.8 rockers shouldn't call for a duel spring with a stock cam so you are wasting HP already. i dont know what engine ( ls6 or ls2 ) so i dunno about needing injectors

StealthViggen
03-12-08, 08:31 PM
I am, I was under the impression that it was just an aluminum one painted / anodized black. I retract my previous statement. How much are they? Its up to you man.....The Fast is a proven setup. Honestly, I wouldnt buy one, till you see the #'s.

The Fast will have a slight top end advantage, but this new street warrior is going to smash it in the 2000-6000 rom range where all street cars are used. In addtion alot of the fit and finish issues with the fast intake have been addressed, and it can be used with both 78 and 90 mm tb's out of the box. You really can't argue the design features.

StealthViggen
03-12-08, 08:37 PM
i'd stay away until numbers hit the streets. also looking around here not alot of you guys need more than a ported stock intake or a off the shelf FAST 90.

StealthViggen i would look into a cam and a retune first. also the 1.8 rockers shouldn't call for a duel spring with a stock cam so you are wasting HP already. i dont know what engine ( ls6 or ls2 ) so i dunno about needing injectors

I have an LS6. I did not want to go too radical, nor spend for the install costs so I went with crane 1.8 gold's over a cam ( If it;s not enough hp I can always upgrade later). Dual springs are needed to control the harmonics ( read- valve float) above 5700 rpm. Upgraded springs are recommended by crane, and all the indenpendant test I have seem to show an hp benefit with duals and those rockers. I just happened to have a set of injectors lying around, so It was no cost, and I know Trukk was maxing IDC with his fast 90/90 setup similar to mine. I figure the Injector overhead with a near identical setup would be beneficial. Thanks for the input though.

jbss71
03-12-08, 08:52 PM
I have an LS6. I did not want to go too radical, nor spend for the install costs so I went with crane 1.8 gold's. Dual springs are needed to control the harmonics ( read- valve float) above 5700 rpm. Upgraded springs are recommended by crane, and all the indenpendant test I have seem to show an hp benefit with duals and those rockers. I just happened to have a set of injectors lying around, so It was no cost, and I know Trukk was maxing IDC with his fast 90/90 setup similar to mine. I figure the Injector overhead with a near identical setup would be beneficial. Thanks for the input though. the comp beehive springs would've handled the added rocker ratio and with less open and installed height pressure aka more power.

your 'injector overhead' could hurt your mid-range aswell.

i'm not trying to start anything, but some of the setups i've seen on this forums are using mis matched parts. yours is one of the better ones :bouncy: i've seen posted so far. but your setup doesn't scream 'needs new badass intake' :hide:

AlmostAV
03-12-08, 09:12 PM
but this new street warrior is going to smash it in the 2000-6000 rom range where all street cars are used

Based on what? Ive heard comments like this all too much on parts which havent been proven. FAST IS PROVEN at the track, on the street, and on the dyno. Like I said before, Im not bashing the Weiand, I just would be cautious before unloading 650 on something that may not even flow better than the ls6 stock. If you want 90/90 the TPIS ls6 with the chopped snout and ls2 snout reapplied maybe a cheaper alternative, this too is proven. See if you can find a few dyno graphs and time slips of comparable cars which are using this new Weiand.

Although, I never like being the first to try anything.

jbss71
03-12-08, 09:22 PM
If you want 90/90 the TPIS ls6 with the chopped snout and ls2 snout reapplied maybe a cheaper alternative, this too is proven. whats the price on that set up? i've seen numbers for it but never a price

Although, I never like being the first to try anything.its always fun to try new parts, and help R&D stuff but then again i never paid for the parts so i was never out anything other than my time :shhh:

trukk
03-12-08, 09:32 PM
I have K&N intake kit with tube, not just filter. If I am being optimistic, then 390's are possible, but I'd be happy with 380+. The street warrior should be out by end of april, and I am just waiting on that to do the install of all the parts. I can taste it.

I have an LS6. I did not want to go too radical, nor spend for the install costs so I went with crane 1.8 gold's over a cam ( If it;s not enough hp I can always upgrade later). Dual springs are needed to control the harmonics ( read- valve float) above 5700 rpm. Upgraded springs are recommended by crane, and all the indenpendant test I have seem to show an hp benefit with duals and those rockers. I just happened to have a set of injectors lying around, so It was no cost, and I know Trukk was maxing IDC with his fast 90/90 setup similar to mine. I figure the Injector overhead with a near identical setup would be beneficial. Thanks for the input though.

I hear ya. I have about $2500 in parts sitting on my shelf waiting to be installed.

I ended up going with Lucas 42# flow matched injectors. There is no way in hell I'm going to out grow these. Both the injectors and Yella Terra 1.7" Ultralites just showed up this morning. :bouncy: The last thing I need to get it the flarkin belt for my UD pulley, and I've FINALLY got all my cam parts.

I didn't go 1.8, because I new I'd end up with a cam, and didn;t want to have to replace any of the new parts that I already bought (hate buying something twice.)

I also went with the Patriot Gold Extreme's, so I'm not swappingout valve springs all the time. With all the issues the 918's ahve been having, I'd have a hard time going with those. If I felt I had to go with a behive, I'd cosider the PAC ones, but they end up being as much (or more) than the Patriot duals. I'd rather leave a bit on the table, and have the safety of the dual springs.

SV, make sure you post youe before after dyno numbers once you do your isntall!

-Chris

StealthViggen
03-12-08, 10:34 PM
the comp beehive springs would've handled the added rocker ratio and with less open and installed height pressure aka more power.

your 'injector overhead' could hurt your mid-range aswell.

i'm not trying to start anything, but some of the setups i've seen on this forums are using mis matched parts. yours is one of the better ones :bouncy: i've seen posted so far. but your setup doesn't scream 'needs new badass intake' :hide:

I agree a comp 918 or pac 1518 would have been "enough", but I got a set of pat golds for very cheap, and the extra security of a dual puts my mind at ease. The quick lift design of the rockers should help overcome some of that additional seat /open pressure. While the rest of the setup will work just fine with the LS6 intake, I had always planned on going with a FAST 90/90 combo, until I read about this new Weiand at SEMA. FAST's are known to sacrifice low end, for more up top. I would much prefer 30 lb/ft in the 3500rpm range than an extra 5 up top. I actually just remembered my injectors are "Bosch Whites", which I beleive are actually 36lb injectors, so should not be to large of gap to tune out.

CTSV_Rob
03-12-08, 10:42 PM
I am just looking for a little extra while waiting for the Gen 6 kit for my V.

Does anyone know if this intake will be available for the LS2 :hide: and does anyone know when they plan to start selling it to the general public...

The cost is better for me since I plan to pull it later anyways. I just haven't done anything to the V in a while and I must MOD!!!!

jbss71
03-12-08, 11:04 PM
FAST's are known to sacrifice low end, for more up top. thats how this stuff works, hurt down low and help up top, thats why we have stall converters, vacuum reservoirs, valve overlap and big gear ratios :thepan: to really pick your combo you need to pick your max rpm sounds like you want your roll racing tq. so your limit is in the 6,500rpm range, so that puts you in the smaller cam range and its been shown a ls6 and a ported ls2 intakes can hold there own at that hp level

I would much prefer 30 lb/ft in the 3500rpm range than an extra 5 up top. have you looked into a ported ls6 with with 80mm ( thats what it comes out to be) tb upgrade?

jbss71
03-12-08, 11:09 PM
I am just looking for a little extra while waiting for the Gen 6 kit for my V.

Does anyone know if this intake will be available for the LS2 :hide: and does anyone know when they plan to start selling it to the general public...

The cost is better for me since I plan to pull it later anyways. I just haven't done anything to the V in a while and I must MOD!!!!ls1,ls6,ls2 should all fit with little work, water lines and such.

once get away from the cathedral port heads ls7,l92 you need a another style intake .

trukk
03-12-08, 11:24 PM
Bottom line, it's just money, and you can't take it with you.

Fast 90/90 paired with the right cam = :cloud9:

-Chris

CTSV_Rob
03-13-08, 12:11 AM
ls1,ls6,ls2 should all fit with little work, water lines and such.

once get away from the cathedral port heads ls7,l92 you need a another style intake .
I know it will attach to the heads but I hadn't seen if it had the right sized hole for the 90mm throttle body.

Didn't know it wouldn't fit the LS7 though.

Bottom line, it's just money, and you can't take it with you.

Fast 90/90 paired with the right cam = :cloud9:

-Chris
Final config will be more like...
- Right Cam
- Gen six Maggie
- heads? (maybe the L92's)

But just to give me a little more kick I was thinking about trying this intake for a little extra TQ on the butt dyno. :rolleyes:

Rey
03-13-08, 11:42 AM
TPIS does an interesting mod to the LS6 intake. They modify it so it can mount a 90mm throttle body. They use a proprietary process to glue a new 90mm intake mount. They supply Lingenfelter with the modded LS6. The LS6 is a very good intake across all rpm. My knowledge is that FAST works better with big motors and at the top end.
I have had this combo for over 30K miles with no problems. It looks bone stock with an LS2 throttle body.
TPIS has a test CTS-V, and my recall is a dyno number of somewhere about 384 rwhp with this intake, TPIS headers, TPIS 90 mm TB, stock exhaust cat back, cold air intake and computer tune. I have known Myron at TPIS for many years (my disclaimer) and have the same combo on my CTS-V but with a ported LS2 throttle body. TPIS's throttle response is a bit crisper, but I can otherwise see no difference driving my CTS-V and TPIS's CTS-V back-to-back.

jbss71
03-13-08, 08:02 PM
I know it will attach to the heads but I hadn't seen if it had the right sized hole for the 90mm throttle body.

Didn't know it wouldn't fit the LS7 though.
its comes 90mm but i think they are making a plate for the smaller tb, i've heard summer/fall 08 for the ls7

Final config will be more like...
- Right Cam
- Gen six Maggie
- heads? (maybe the L92's)

But just to give me a little more kick I was thinking about trying this intake for a little extra TQ on the butt dyno. :rolleyes:gen 6 maggie ='s TVS 2300 ?

CTSV_Rob
03-14-08, 01:11 AM
My understanding is "TVS" is the Gen 6 and I am thinking a 1900 will fit nicely. I think this is what they are putting on the 09 V.

CTSV_Rob
03-14-08, 01:11 AM
Is 90mm for the LS1, ls2, ls6 available now?

blow03ss
03-14-08, 09:11 AM
Sure fire way to see 430+ hp! Lt's mid 230's cam with fast 90 set up add in a set of fast 39lb injectors or ls3 injectors. Dyno tune it and there you have it, we have done many ls2 with this same set up and had no problems seeing 455hp all on a mustang dyno.
It will be fun to play with the new intake, its just hard at times to go with something unproven for the moment.

Naf
03-14-08, 03:39 PM
i dont know...Listenin to the guy speak he said a few magic words, same material of the OEM...Blah blah blah...you know in all honesty, if you are gonna put on a FAST intake you aught to have other nicer mods...

I wouldnt get to excited till you see it in action. "this aftermarket MAF will get you 20hpSAE in 20mins..." WHATEVER!!!

i have to say my stock LS1 with LS6 heads, shorty headers, JBA mid pipes, high flow exhaust, CAI, and fast 80/90 made me 45hp/47ftlb at the wheel. With better milage, now imagine if i changed the heads...

There are proven power adders and there are money wasters...You just need to know fact from fiction.

v10boost
03-14-08, 07:28 PM

-Chris

are you having Jeff tune it? I think he said fast is way to go. I was going to do all motor but now i am dropping it off get blower on it. i'll be there on monday, let me know if you want to meet up at psi. well it would be nice if you could give me a lift to va.

v10boost
03-14-08, 07:30 PM
Sure fire way to see 430+ hp! Lt's mid 230's cam with fast 90 set up add in a set of fast 39lb injectors or ls3 injectors. Dyno tune it and there you have it, we have done many ls2 with this same set up and had no problems seeing 455hp all on a mustang dyno.
It will be fun to play with the new intake, its just hard at times to go with something unproven for the moment.

this is NA right? did you do heads as well? I know it can be done but wasn't sure how much work you have to do.

trukk
03-14-08, 08:14 PM
are you having Jeff tune it? I think he said fast is way to go. I was going to do all motor but now i am dropping it off get blower on it. i'll be there on monday, let me know if you want to meet up at psi. well it would be nice if you could give me a lift to va.

Chris,

I'm dropping my car off at PSI tomorrow to get the follwoing installed:

1) Comp Cam (224/228 .609/.588 111LSA +0)
2) Cloyes Hex-adjust timing set (pn: 3153A)
3) SDPC Cam Install Gasket Kit, 1999-03 LS1/LS6 (KITSD51902, should include all the gaskets needed)
4) ARP Hardware (HB Balancer bolt, cam retainer bolts, cam bolts, timing cover bolts, intake rocker stud kit (ARP/Lingenfleter/Edlebrock)
5) Comp 7.425 Pushrods
6) Patriot Gold Extreme Valve springs w/ retainers & locks (PN: 8402)
7) Yella Terra 1.7" non adjustable Ultralite Rockers (PN: 6645)
8) ASP 25% Under Drive Harmonic Balancer (PN:941020. NOTE: I did not buy new belts, as I was unsure the size to get. It is my understanding that you can not use the standard C5 sized belts, as the accessories are slightly different on the CTS-V, this will have to be measured.)
9) Melling high flow oil pump (10296)
10) Lucas 42# flow matched High Impedence injectors (PN: c5l42fm.)

I will be out of town all next week, leaving on Sunday, so I won't be able to give you a lift , sorry. Normally it would be no problem. My car is on the back burner @ PSI, until your's is done. I'm *hoping* he will be able to get me done by the end of next weekend, as I have to go on a road trip the following week (Norfolk for work. :hurl:) Anyway you'd let Jeff do my car first :D J/k :thepan:

I was going to have Damian Harney do my car, but mine is a DD, so I have to plan stuff like this while I'm outta town, and Damian is outta town next week. I'm sure my car will be in good hands with Jeff. And yes he's going to tune it too.

I'll toss my shop manuals in the trunk of my car in case you (or Jeff) need to look at anything next week.

Give me a call sometime if you ever need anything, since I'm local. 443 992-2853

-Chris

trukk
03-14-08, 08:15 PM
** Sorry for the uber Jack guys **

-Chris

Naf
03-15-08, 02:35 AM
Chris,

I'm dropping my car off at PSI tomorrow to get the follwoing installed:

1) Comp Cam (224/228 .609/.588 111LSA +0)
2) Cloyes Hex-adjust timing set (pn: 3153A)
3) SDPC Cam Install Gasket Kit, 1999-03 LS1/LS6 (KITSD51902, should include all the gaskets needed)
4) ARP Hardware (HB Balancer bolt, cam retainer bolts, cam bolts, timing cover bolts, intake rocker stud kit (ARP/Lingenfleter/Edlebrock)
5) Comp 7.425 Pushrods
6) Patriot Gold Extreme Valve springs w/ retainers & locks (PN: 8402)
7) Yella Terra 1.7" non adjustable Ultralite Rockers (PN: 6645)
8) ASP 25% Under Drive Harmonic Balancer (PN:941020. NOTE: I did not buy new belts, as I was unsure the size to get. It is my understanding that you can not use the standard C5 sized belts, as the accessories are slightly different on the CTS-V, this will have to be measured.)
9) Melling high flow oil pump (10296)
10) Lucas 42# flow matched High Impedence injectors (PN: c5l42fm.)

I will be out of town all next week, leaving on Sunday, so I won't be able to give you a lift , sorry. Normally it would be no problem. My car is on the back burner @ PSI, until your's is done. I'm *hoping* he will be able to get me done by the end of next weekend, as I have to go on a road trip the following week (Norfolk for work. :hurl:) Anyway you'd let Jeff do my car first :D J/k :thepan:

I was going to have Damian Harney do my car, but mine is a DD, so I have to plan stuff like this while I'm outta town, and Damian is outta town next week. I'm sure my car will be in good hands with Jeff. And yes he's going to tune it too.

I'll toss my shop manuals in the trunk of my car in case you (or Jeff) need to look at anything next week.

Give me a call sometime if you ever need anything, since I'm local. 443 992-2853

-Chris

BRO try the belts i told you about in your link...

trukk
03-15-08, 06:21 PM

Chris,

I dropped my car off today. I saw your maggie sitting there on the counter :thumbsup:.

BTW I talked with Alice, and she seemed to be under the impression that Jeff was suppsoed to be starting your car today, and not Monday. Might want to give her a call.

-Chris

GUNRDY
05-02-08, 08:49 PM
Back to the point. Any details on this thing, I've checked the Weiand website and nothing new. I'm coming back from Iraq and need to reduce my savings account down to a manegable amount.:lildevil:

lunarx
05-02-08, 09:01 PM
Search for the thread on LS1 Tech.
There was an independent test and the intake performed as advertised delivering 30HP & TQ in the Midrange.

Bad news is, you still can't buy one yet.

CTSV_Rob
05-03-08, 03:28 AM
Bah Humbug.

lunarx
05-03-08, 01:51 PM
Here are those results:
(looks good)

I will be testing the new Weind LS1 manifold tomorrow to my knowledge i will be the first person to independently test the manifold other than the guys involved with the design and building of it..cant wait!! looks good and if it does what they say should turn your LS engine into a real nice piece.the combo is this :std 5.7 lt
:crane z cam 228 @ .050''
:pacemaker 4 into 1
:my own design cnc ported then hand finished heads with std valves(to keep costs down)
:crane single low harmonic clean steel springs/titanium retainers etc
:crow thick wall pushrods
:25% underdriven harmonic
:twin 2.5'' system high flow cats
:auto
:stall coverter
:3.7 diff ratio
going to test the manifold and a 90mm holley TB back to back with the early manifold and 80mm TB see what the difference will be..This car made 296rwkw before ported heads..The head design that i protyped came from testing i did bout 3 years ago when with manual vy ss and 220 @ .050'' we picked up 18rwkw but the car went 5 tenths quicker and 5 mph faster when it was raced..:drivin:

After spending the day on the dyno testing i must say that the manifold worked as it was expected to.I will STRESS that if you want to have a dyno queen then this is not the intake manifold for you,real world cars that get driven on the street and raced it will definately be worth it.
test were done on a brand new mainline dyno,all test were performed on the same day and then backed up.
base test was performed and the car made a stout 262kw at 6350 approx
no tuning was done weind manifold and 90mm T/B 267kw at 6150 approx
torque with std setup 412nm at 5000 approx
torque with weind setup 447 nm at 5150 approx
BUT from 2100 to 6400 torque was increased a bunch
at 4400 torque was up 397nm to 422nm
from 3000 to 6300 torque was far better with a peak in between...
engine was consuming more air from start of the run to finish with the weind deal...and we backed it up with in .5kw
after tuning with weind manifold ther was just a little more in it but not a lot, we smoothed out the power and torque

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/41682d1209833454-new-weiand-intake-autotech_resize.jpg

trukk
05-05-08, 11:20 AM
Here are those results:
(looks good)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/41682d1209833454-new-weiand-intake-autotech_resize.jpg

Lunarx,

Did it indicate what intake he was bench-marking this against? (LS1?)

I'd love to see this against the Fast 90(92).

BTW, you should just get a fast 90 with your cubes, and be done with it.

-Chris

lunarx
05-05-08, 11:38 AM
Lunarx,

Did it indicate what intake he was bench-marking this against? (LS1?)

I'd love to see this against the Fast 90(92).

BTW, you should just get a fast 90 with your cubes, and be done with it.

-Chris

To awnser your 1st question;

It was a VX Commodore LS1 with 228 duration cam and mild headwork, with all bolt-ons, which had the LS6 manifold and an aftermarket 80mm TB.

The runs were done on a very new, u-beaut Mainline Dynolog Chassis Dyno.

Cheers.

Definetly, everyone wants to see it compared against a FAST 90. :yup:
Hopefully, that happens soon.

I know I need to do something.
FAST 92 upper plenum or Street Warrior.
At my pace, the comparo should be out by the time i'm ready to pull the trigger on an IM upgrade.

GUNRDY
05-05-08, 02:45 PM
LUNARX-

Looks like your set up is best set up for the new FAST 92/92. As opposed to a stock cube, stock/mild cam, all bolt on/tune set up that the Weiand seems to be designed for. Either way good luck and keep us posted if you happen get your hand on this new product.

G.

lunarx
05-05-08, 09:37 PM
LUNARX-

Looks like your set up is best set up for the new FAST 92/92. As opposed to a stock cube, stock/mild cam, all bolt on/tune set up that the Weiand seems to be designed for. Either way good luck and keep us posted if you happen get your hand on this new product.

G.
Do you know someone making the Electronic version of the 92mm Throttle body?

Yes, I am definitely leaning in that direction.
I just did not want to rule out the Weiand, if it can match the top end of a Fast 90 while besting it the midrange.