: Question regarding MicroFiber Towels

dan708
05-21-04, 03:38 PM
I just picked up a pack of 12/ 16"x16" Microfiber towels(by Detailer's Preference) from the local Costco's for about $10.00.
Now having never used these type of towel's and reading the back of the package,it say's,
"Recommended for,Wax Removal, Polishing Chrome and Painted surface's etc.etc.etc.
Now am i to assume that if I dry my car with these towel's they're going to take the wax off of it?
If that's the case why would it say that they're recommended for polishing the vehicle??
Kind of a contradiction isin't it?
How do you folk's use these towel's?
I plan on detailing the car this weekend,any help would be gratly appreciated?
Dan

elwesso
05-21-04, 05:37 PM
No it isnt.

Its great for taking the EXCESS wax off, as some other towels the fibers can scratch it slightly while buffing, making swirl marks...

99Zee28
05-21-04, 06:02 PM
It doesn't take the wax off, as elwesso said it's for removing excess wax! They are great towels for a variety of things, although because they are small I personally do not dry my car with them. Very unproductive. I use them for everything else though! They're great for cleaning your dash since they leave no fibers or dust particles laying around!

Later,
Dave

elwesso
05-21-04, 06:07 PM
I agree. I bought a 3 pack of them at autozone, and they are pretty lame... Prety well caked with crap.....

ive used a lot of towels, and 100% cotton towels work great, plus you can get bigger ones!

MEJIA
05-21-04, 06:50 PM
Microfiber towels are GREAT for drying windows. However I dont use them to dry or to remove wax from my cars, because as said before they do produce light swirl marks. For this task I use 100% american made cotton towels.

Mejia

exceldetail
05-21-04, 10:25 PM
If you folks only knew......
Tell ya what, take one of those precious "American made 100% cotton towels", cut a corner off and burn it! If its turns to ash, its cotton, if it turns dark and balls up, youve been had.....
Better yet, take that towel and pretend your polishing your car, on a AOL CD that we all get weekly in the mail. About 15-20 strokes oughta do it, then hold it up to the light, tell me if you see any scratches. If you do, well, take another look at your clear coat.....
Good microfiber towels wont leave any mark.....
There the wave of the future folks, wake up and smell the roses......As for the ones at Auto Zone, Wally MArt, Kmart.....you get what you pay for....
Also, make sure you wash after each use, Ive never had a good "MF" cake up on me....And Ive used and sold 1000's....

MEJIA
05-22-04, 08:25 PM
If you folks only knew......
Tell ya what, take one of those precious "American made 100% cotton towels", cut a corner off and burn it! If its turns to ash, its cotton, if it turns dark and balls up, youve been had.....
Better yet, take that towel and pretend your polishing your car, on a AOL CD that we all get weekly in the mail. About 15-20 strokes oughta do it, then hold it up to the light, tell me if you see any scratches. If you do, well, take another look at your clear coat.....
Good microfiber towels wont leave any mark.....
There the wave of the future folks, wake up and smell the roses......As for the ones at Auto Zone, Wally MArt, Kmart.....you get what you pay for....
Also, make sure you wash after each use, Ive never had a good "MF" cake up on me....And Ive used and sold 1000's....

Ive tested my 100% cotton towels on a CD and NO SCRATCHES at all.
With this test is OK or should I go and cut a piece and burn it??

Thanks,

Mejia

Msilva954
05-22-04, 11:02 PM
I just bought a pack of 5 microfiber towels from Target for $5.99, while they may leave "micro" swirl marks I think that these are better then 90% of the so called 100% cotton towels out there.

exceldetail
05-23-04, 01:40 PM
Mejia, from what im hearing the "Fieldcrest" towels is 100% cotton....Suit yourself, if you think theres no marring on the CD, you should be good to go....!
Otherwise, just snip a corner and burn it, grey ashes=good, black ashes= not good...

MSilva, exactly my point, however, you should be using towels that dont scratch !! Do the CD test to them.....

Msilva954
05-23-04, 06:19 PM
Did the CD scratch and even with brute force I could not make one little scratch......I highly recommend the Baja Sol Micro Fiber from Target stores.

exceldetail
05-23-04, 07:51 PM
Good ! Any towel used for product removal should go thru this simple test......

Msilva954
05-23-04, 10:31 PM
exceldetail......even though I just started posting Ive been browsing alot, I noticed you on the Detail City Forum too. Good to see that you take the same stand over there too. I finally bought the NXT and cant wait to use it w/the microfiber removal. Now I just need to know if my orbital is just as good as a PC.

exceldetail
05-24-04, 09:19 AM
exceldetail......even though I just started posting Ive been browsing alot, I noticed you on the Detail City Forum too. Good to see that you take the same stand over there too. I finally bought the NXT and cant wait to use it w/the microfiber removal. Now I just need to know if my orbital is just as good as a PC.Thanks Ms....Also ferrarichat, Autopia (3 yrs, although my post count doesnt reflect that, puter problem had to reset name), stangnet, mach-1, detailcity, volvoforums, Acura-TL, dodgetrucks, automotiveforums, cadillacars...I get a round ! I own the PC 7424, and run with the 6" counter...I love it ! I use to do all my details by hand, up until about 1.5 yrs ago....Now i go thru pads like crazy, but it sure does save on my wrists! I think youll find the PC is a much added benefit over the orbital you currently have...No load, speed settings etc......big difference, went thru the same thing, i tossed the orbital right in the garbage....

CAR Motorsports
05-24-04, 09:53 AM
Sorry that this response is late, but here's a website you can visit for full details about microfiber towels. These are the one's we carry.

Alan

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/towel.html

I just picked up a pack of 12/ 16"x16" Microfiber towels(by Detailer's Preference) from the local Costco's for about $10.00.
Now having never used these type of towel's and reading the back of the package,it say's,
"Recommended for,Wax Removal, Polishing Chrome and Painted surface's etc.etc.etc.
Now am i to assume that if I dry my car with these towel's they're going to take the wax off of it?
If that's the case why would it say that they're recommended for polishing the vehicle??
Kind of a contradiction isin't it?
How do you folk's use these towel's?
I plan on detailing the car this weekend,any help would be gratly appreciated?
Dan

cadillacchromer
05-24-04, 11:05 AM
Most of you guys prefer to dry your car with towels over a the "shammies". I was just wondering because I just bought a deville and this weekend I was going to go get all the supplies I needed to keep it looking good

exceldetail
05-24-04, 01:03 PM
Chromer, the reason microfibers and waffle weaves are preferred is simple. Chamois are very thin, absorb only so much, and take constant wringing. Microfibers and waffle weave drying towels are thicker, absorb an enormous amt of water (7-10 times their weight), and just pleasantly easy to use. If dirt should still be on your vehicles surface, it will have a place to hide withing the nap of the towel. As with a chamois, wheres it going to go? Nowehere, it will just glide along the surface as you dry it., and more than likely cause scratches.....When they get dirty, toss them in the washing machine, they actually get better with age....and are good for 100's of uses.....

Msilva954
05-24-04, 08:28 PM
I have not used waffle weave but have been using the Absober for about 2-3 years with great results.

exceldetail
05-25-04, 01:52 AM
Msilva, thats great, i hope you have continued success with it ! Maybe Im just a tad more discriminating as a detailer, thats all....:)

Msilva954
05-25-04, 08:07 AM
Maybe but at times I am too, Im thinking of buying a waffle weave for the caddy, and leaving the absorber for the BMW and the Mustang.

elwesso
05-25-04, 06:16 PM
I have a synthetic chamois, and I always go back to it!

Msilva954
05-25-04, 08:08 PM
Another thing that I do with the Absober is that I constantly hose it off ever couple wipes just to keep it clean.

exceldetail
05-26-04, 12:11 AM
Maybe but at times I am too, Im thinking of buying a waffle weave for the caddy, and leaving the absorber for the BMW and the Mustang.Just make sure you get a quality one.....I have yet to see a good one at any retailers....The ones online are by far better....

Msilva954
05-26-04, 07:58 AM
I was searching around online and was thinking of getting one of those Micro fiber kits, the ones that have just about every type and style you would want.

TheBehemoth
05-26-04, 02:00 PM
All MicroFiber is definately NOT created equal. Now i maybe mistaken, and please someone correct me if i am wrong, but i believe there are only a handful of machines in the world that can produce MF. Also i do not believe that any of these machines are located in China, so if your MF towel says "Made in China" its not a real MF towel.

The reason that MF is superior to cotton is due to the "threading" process. A stran of microfiber is (might be off a bit here) 1/4 the diameter of a human hair, therefore to make a towel it takes more consecutive passes of fiber to make a towel. When it comes to absorbtion, since there are more strans of fiber subsequently they can hold more water. There are differences between MF even. If you look up there is a MF towel called "The Big Blue" which is a waffle weave mf towel specifically designed for drying. Due to its waffle weave design it has even more coverage area then a typical mf towel.

I have tried 4 types of mf towel and have been very satisfied with all of them for very specific purposes. Viper towel is a great towel to use along with a little water to clean glass. You dont need any chemicals, just water and Viper towel and you will have a great result. For stubborn spots, i sometimes do a mix of 10% white vinegar and water with the Viper. The Big Blue/Little Blue are both excellent for drying after a wash. For an ESV i have to "ring out" maybe 2 times if that. For interior cleaning/drying/buffing i have gone with Yo'Steve's and DragonsBreath. The Yo'Steves are superior to the DB, but cost (if i remember correctly) 2x as much.

TheBehemoth

ps heres a link to more info about MF HERE (http://www.properautocare.com/micwhatbigde.html)

TheBehemoth
05-26-04, 02:07 PM
PS... never use detergent on your MF, i would suggest using "DAWN"

Msilva954
05-28-04, 09:20 PM
Bringing this back up.....I just cleaned all the windows and glass throughout the house and on the cars and they came out the best they ever have! And the best part about it is that there is now no lint on the Caddys Canvas top or the bimmers conv top.

exceldetail
05-28-04, 11:09 PM
About 50-100 times finer than the human hair.....There are real MF's in China, they may just not be as thick as other producers....Microfiber indicates the actual fiber itself...I carry MF's with 190,000 fibers PSI.....Guess where mine come from ? China.....Have sold thousands, never had one come back....There have been many rumors about Korean vs China produced MF's....dont believe any of them regarding a lesser quality of a product.....I may be inclined to ship a 1/2 dozen freebies out ?

MEJIA
05-29-04, 09:54 PM
About 50-100 times finer than the human hair.....There are real MF's in China, they may just not be as thick as other producers....Microfiber indicates the actual fiber itself...I carry MF's with 190,000 fibers PSI.....Guess where mine come from ? China.....Have sold thousands, never had one come back....There have been many rumors about Korean vs China produced MF's....dont believe any of them regarding a lesser quality of a product.....I may be inclined to ship a 1/2 dozen freebies out ?

exceldetail, Do you have a website were we could buy from you microfiber towels, and perhaps car care products?

Thanks,

Mejia

exceldetail
05-30-04, 01:51 AM
I'd hate to break any forum rules, so please just click on my username, and then "View webpage".....:rolleyes:

Subguy
05-30-04, 11:01 AM
Can't remember the thread title but we hit this topic hard recently..

exceldetail
05-30-04, 02:03 PM
From another forum, and one of its sponsors.....:
I find that David is correct. For the most part towels from Korea are better than those from China. The guys in Korea have been doing for a lot longer, and they are more concerned with Quality Control. They have better checks and balances in place.

Sometimes China manufacturers pull a "bait n' switch", they send you a good sample, but then when you place your order for 100,000 pieces it is of lower quality, and lacking consistency. They don't understand that you are going to come back and buy more if the quality and consistency is good. They just want your money now, and with the way that international trade works you have to buy the product before you see it. Espcially if you have never done business with eachother.

This is not true of all manufacturers in China, some are good, and have good quality control. I have a good relationship with a manufacturer in China and the products that I get from them are consistent and of good quality. I also have a good realationship with manufacturers in Korea, and they are a lot easier to deal with.

What it really comes down to with the "big" companies (those that sell to Costco and Wal-Mart) is price. They buy hundreds of thousands of towels at a time and want the lowest possible price. And with lower price comes lower quality and lower quality control. Korean companies just cannot make towels for $0.30 to $0.40 cents. They have more stringent labor laws, better equipment, and better materials (for the most part). That is why you will not find large companies selling microfiber from Korea, they buy based on price not quaity.

It is not a black and white situation. There are good manufacturers from China and Korea, but one the whole Korea is better. Throw into the mix the US companies that want the product at the cheapest price, and there is much variation.

SeeMyCars
06-10-04, 12:33 AM
Just had to say....

I purchased several quality microfiber towels at extremely reasonable prices from (can I say this?) Excel Detail. Not only do I love these towels, but I had them in my hand in about 72 hours! :bouncy:

For drying, I've often used The Absorber, but I learned tonight that the waffle weave microfiber towels are much superior, and don't leave the little trace of water trail that the Absorber does. On dark colors, that makes a significant difference!

The regular microfibers are great for windows. I also waxed my trunk lid tonight and the microfiber was great for removing the wax. Can you tell I'm happy with them?!

An other side benefit is their compactness. I can keep several microfiber towels in the trunk instead of those bulky cotton towels. When I'm on a trip, the car gets washed more than when I'm at home (bug guts, etc), so having compact towels in the trunk will be nice.

If you're considering microfibers, I'd highly recommend them, as well as getting them from Excel. Great quality, fast, friendly service. What more can you ask for?!!!!

Dennis