Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Change Oil Light Problem?!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tantalpreston 
#1 ·
95 FWB here. Change oil light came on today. Read the manual and tried to reset it. In fact, I tried a several times now and I just can't seem to get it to reset. I'm turning the key to the second position, just before turning it over, and depressing the gas pedal three times. No dice.

Changed the oil a few weeks ago. Checked the oil today - level is good. Color looks good. Smells ok. No problems there.

So I'm thinking I'm either doing something wrong or the sensor has gone bad.

Advice, tips, tricks, cheats anybody?

After the oil has been changed, you'll need to reset your system. To do that:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position with the engine stopped.
2. Fully push and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds.
3. The CHANGE OIL light should flash two times and then go out.

If the CHANGE OIL light comes on and stays on for 5 seconds, it did not reset. You'll need to reset the system again.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never had a problem with it on either the '93 or '95. Key to Run position (beyond the first click), and then gas pedal to floor 3 times in 5 seconds. The light should go out, and then blink.

Either you're somehow missing a detail (though that would be hard), or there's a problem...but I'd try it again.

#4 ·
Got it. Just kept pumping the gas with the key turned over and it worked. Might be something with the PCM not reading WOT because I had to stomp on it multiple times for it to finally get it. Long story cut short, it went out. Thanks for the help caddycruiser.

#5 ·
I have the same problem. Here is the deal. The accelerator cable sitting on the throttle body does not have any tension at rest. So even if you press the pedal all the way, you are still about an 1/8" travel from completely opening the throttle body. I used my hand to open three times and it worked like a charm. It seems that there must be an adjustment to the accelerator cable. I checked the service manual and there is something written about this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.