: Oil on Plugs / Misfire After Valve Cover Replacement

wildrage
03-11-08, 09:28 AM
I did the valve cover replacement yesterday. The valve cover on my driver's side was leaking. I got a good price on new covers and gaskets (around $120), so I decided to replace both.

Things went very smoothely. It took me about an hour and a half to get it all done. The driver's side valve cover gasket was completely hardened. It cracked off when I went to inspect it.

I started the car up, and it ran slightly rough. I thought it might be because I installed the driver's side coils a little hastilly (tough to get to with that damn wire tray). My code reader showed a misfire on 1, 2, and 3.

When I pulled the coil I immediately notice that the 2 rear driver's side plug holes were almost completely filled with oil. I can't remember if they were before the installation..I just don't know.

2 questions:

1. Assuming I did the covers wrong, would it be possible for both of those holes to fill so much when the car only ran about 30 seconds?

2. Before I go tearing off the plenum and intake, is there anything that I'm missing? Anything that could have caused them to flood?

I'm trying to determine if the holes had oil in them to begin with, and when I removed the boot and put them back on, it cause a misfire, or if something went very wrong when I seated the new valve cover / seals.

sulli11
03-11-08, 10:05 AM
I changed my cover gaskets a few months ago. I also had a misfire after completing the job. While rechecking connections I noticed I had knocked a vaccumn line loose on the drivers side rear vaccumn tree. I don't know about the oil though. Try this link good visual guide could be you didn't seal all of the surfaces.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564281

satse
03-11-08, 10:27 AM
I did the valve cover replacement yesterday. The valve cover on my driver's side was leaking. I got a good price on new covers and gaskets (around $120), so I decided to replace both.

Things went very smoothely. It took me about an hour and a half to get it all done. The driver's side valve cover gasket was completely hardened. It cracked off when I went to inspect it.

I started the car up, and it ran slightly rough. I thought it might be because I installed the driver's side coils a little hastilly (tough to get to with that damn wire tray). My code reader showed a misfire on 1, 2, and 3.

When I pulled the coil I immediately notice that the 2 rear driver's side plug holes were almost completely filled with oil. I can't remember if they were before the installation..I just don't know.

2 questions:

1. Assuming I did the covers wrong, would it be possible for both of those holes to fill so much when the car only ran about 30 seconds?

2. Before I go tearing off the plenum and intake, is there anything that I'm missing? Anything that could have caused them to flood?

I'm trying to determine if the holes had oil in them to begin with, and when I removed the boot and put them back on, it cause a misfire, or if something went very wrong when I seated the new valve cover / seals.

If you replaced the valve cover gaskets due to them leaking, I would assume there would be oil in the wells. Suction out the excess oil, remove all oil from the electrodes and see what happens. If more oil surfaces, then something is obviously leaking.