Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1978 Brougham

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  deVille33 
#1 ·
In a deal I made with someone, I bought a 1979 Fleetwood Brougham and got a '78 parts car. In looking over this '78 Brougham, I've come to the conclusion that it may be in better condition than either of my other two Broughams. The trim above the beltline has been hit, maybe someone's frustration due to the fact that neither door on the driver's side would open. I thought that one could get to the door mechanisms from the inside, but that was not the case. I've removed the left front fender and unbolted the door hinges. Now the door is suspended by the latch and the control harnesses.
Does anyone have any experience with door mechanisms that lock and won't unlock? One of my Coupes did the same thing. On the driver's side also.

#2 ·
The problem with the doors is resolved. The latch mechanizm was gumed up and the release lever didn't return. I suspect that the door must not have stayed latched so they used the door locks to secure the latches. When they did this, the locks must have lock up the complete unit. The locks wouldn't unlock and the latches wouldn't unlatch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.