: Film for front of car to prevent chips

ljbryan
05-21-04, 10:04 AM
Someone mentioned that Road block was the film put on the front of the car to prevent damage from chips etc. Where can I get it.

Cal
05-21-04, 11:01 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101125&postcount=18

airbalancer
05-21-04, 01:18 PM
any 3M dealer will have it

elwesso
05-21-04, 04:43 PM
Dont call me stupid, but I hear of people (mainly in the south) that put pam on the front of their cars so the bugs dont stick so bad.....

Lanman
05-21-04, 11:07 PM
The guys that tinted my windows also sell the protective film for the front of cars. When I asked him about it he said that it worked really great but that he would not recommend it for a black car because the film does get scratches in it and they show up on dark cars. They were applying it to a medium gray 5 series BMW when I was there and unless you got up close and were looking for it you could hardly tell it was there. To me it kind of gave the front bumper a bit of an orange peel finish but hey, most of our CTS's have that anyway. He also said that the film they used had a 4 year warranty so for anybody with a lighter color car it's probably a good investment.

CTSV OWNER
05-21-04, 11:26 PM
I have "Roadblock" installed on my CTSV the installer told me that the 3M stuff is slightly thinner and not as plyable to mold around the bends. the website is www.autobahndint.com Tell them if your car is a V because the front is different than a non V. Make sure before they install it you don't have wax on the front end. And for Pete's sake no bugs either. He did say it can scratch so be carefull during cleaning. Installed cost was $325.00
I am glad to have the front end protected without a ugly bra that leaves marks in the paint.

Rich H
05-23-04, 11:12 PM
the 3M stuff is slightly thinner and not as plyable to mold around the bends

You are right about the 3M clear film- they can't wrap it around sharp corners. However, the installer knew the limitation and managed to wrap it around the front 12" of my hood & fenders and the backs of the mirrors by trimming to avoid sharp bends. I also had them put a clear film on my plastic headlight covers although they said Cadillac told them it was unnecessary. Won't hurt though. Got it all done for less than $200 and it is almost invisible on light platinum. I already have my first rock pit in the film that saved the paint on the hood.

Rich H

Cal
05-24-04, 02:47 AM
My view on the rock pits/chips is that it will happen eventually, so why delay the inevitable.

I put some of the thick film crap that the driving assoc. I went to had at Pocono and now I have some lovely adhesive marks I will have to get buffed out of my hood...oh well. Half-assing it just got me annoying marks on the car.

Rich H
05-24-04, 10:06 PM
Rock chips don't bother me that much - but they always seem to come up in conversations with the buyer when I resell a car. This is the first time I've tried it so I'll see if it pays off. I don't think it can hurt in Colorado since they sand the roads nearly 8 months out of the year.

By the way, window tint is a must here. I've had car interiors totally ruined by long term exposure to UV. I got the car tinted when the 3M film was applied.

StealthV
05-24-04, 11:49 PM
Going to give the film a try for the first time on my V also when it arrives in June. My last black car got sandblasted over the years and I'm hoping to at least slow down that process.

VCONVERT
05-28-04, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove this film once it becomes chipped, scratched, etc. I would like to use this when my V comes in but don't want to harm the paint upon removal. Thanks.

StealthV
05-28-04, 12:45 PM
What prices are you paying for the protective film? Got a quote for ~$450 for the V, is this in the ballpark? My V is being built in two weeks so I need to make a decision soon. Thanks.

Cal
05-28-04, 06:30 PM
You will all be pleased to know (sarcasm) that I got the car detailed and the places where the shitty film I used at the track had baked on are NOT removable. I would basically need a sanding and/or new paint job. Hooray. Ah well, they are minor and most of it is on the hood so if I get too annoyed I can replace that, but regardless, be warned. My partner, who ran body shops for years, basically summed it up:

don't put ANYthing on your paint.

He said even those nose covers can cause permanent paint fade if you put it out in the sun long enough.

Just my two cents, me and my scarred-up baby.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
05-28-04, 09:07 PM
I had it put on and while its good and all its not the best invention ever

Rich H
05-28-04, 11:04 PM
the places where the !@#$% film I used at the track had baked on are NOT removable. I would basically need a sanding and/or new paint job.

1) What was the brand of the film?
2) How was it removed?
3) How deep is the damage? Just the clear coat or into the base coat? You should be able to buff out the clear coat with some polishing compound.

Rich H