: Dang Fool ABS Light...

Red_October_7000
03-10-08, 08:03 PM
So I know it's not a Caddy, but I also know we've got some wonderful GM techs here, and I'm gonna post it at the Buick forums as well, so here goes:

My ABS light came on the other day (1998 Buick LeSabre, 125,000 miles). Several years ago it used to come on all the time, whenever it felt like it, and it spent a long time on, for a long time. Then one day it started behaving normally. Once in a while (maybe one in 30 times or so) if the ABS fired, the light would come on. Re-starting the car would fix this problem. Even with prolonged use of the ABS, like driving hard on snow or ice, it would operate normally and keep the car in line. Just the other day, though, the light came on about 3/4ths of the way to Manchester from here, about a 40-mile drive. Re-starting didn't make it go away, nor did it go away when I stopped for gas. After a couple hours of sitting while I was in Manch, it went out. Then, again, about 3/4ths of the way home, it came back on. My Girlfriend had the car over the weekend and she said it would come on durring long drives, sometimes, but not others. She is VERY conservative with the brakes, though (years of having shitty cars with shitty brakes tought her how to use them as little as possible). Now, though, it is pretty much on all the time, sometimes it will be off for the first few minutes of a drive, but sometimes it just comes on and stays on. A long time ago I was told that it could be a wheel-spin sensor and that just diagnosing it would cost like $1,200 dollars and fixing it would be in the neighborhood of $1,600-1,800, which is, at the moment, more than the car is worth (it has body damage, the floorpan carpet is shot, the paint is shot, and the interior needs other misc. work). Any clue what this could be?

Ranger
03-10-08, 08:11 PM
Probably a wheel sped sensor, but you would have to have the DTC's pulled to be sure. Those prices are ridiculous. I suspect that all the GM's are the same. You'll have to R&R the hub & bearing assembly, about $200 if you DIY. If not add labor and part mark up.

jey
03-10-08, 11:56 PM
Try going to the dealer for a diagnosis - a lot of ABS computers are read by proprietary equipment and you DTCs won't tell you anything.

ewill3rd
03-11-08, 09:13 AM
You have to start with the codes. Really it could be anything.
I think a '98 LeSabre has a Bosch 5 ABS system, pretty reliable really.
I always suspect harness issues first, then sensors.
The harness is the weakest link in those systems.

As I said, step one is getting the codes out and going from there.