: Seat Belt Chime

HotScott7
03-10-08, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know how to turn off the seat belt chime in a 2007 Escalade? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it anywhere...

hcvone
03-10-08, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Not trying to be a smart ass, but wear your seatbelt, that will end the noise, too many people get ejected out of their truck and die. There was a company that made a unit to get rid of the warning, but I think they were sued out of business.

HotScott7
03-10-08, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Not trying to be a smart ass, but wear your seatbelt, that will end the noise, too many people get ejected out of their truck and die. There was a company that made a unit to get rid of the warning, but I think they were sued out of business.

That makes sense, until you have to drive from your house to your shed or guest house and have to listen to the stupid beeper go off. Not trying to be a smart ass, but im not a stupid person and your response didnt help my question one bit....

hcvone
03-10-08, 08:01 PM
I have to drive down my drive way to get my mail because I am too lazy to walk the 1650 feet in the snow, so I know what you are talking about. Go to a junk yard, get the seat belt end, cut off the material and insert the end into your seat belt, that will stop the warning, but don't get in an accident, your insurance may not cover injuries, it happening to someone who removed their seatbelt from the car in Cali. :)

TSS
03-10-08, 08:04 PM
Cut a buckle out of a wreck, or buy one from dealership . Stick it in the driver's receptacle. Should work.

I understand your reason , but must add for the masses without estates: seatbelts save lives. don't drive without one.

HotScott7
03-10-08, 10:18 PM
So you guys are basically saying that there is no way to disable the seat belt chime through the electronics of the truck. If thats true I have to say that is simply ridiculous, a $70,000 vehicle and they dont even allow you to disable the seat belt chime. Most vehicles give you the option, I dont see what the big deal is. I could be wrong, but I dont think grown people need a beeper to remind them of something...

SWRidin
03-10-08, 11:35 PM
I haven't seen any vehicles that give you the option to disable seatbelt chimes electronicly.

Palomar9
03-11-08, 12:34 AM
GM is totally within reason to make it impossible to disable seatbelt warning due to the number of lawyers in this country who graduate law school with only one goal in life: sue some big corporation for 500 million and retire before age 30 (my apologies to the sane lawyers out there - all 3 of you).

hcvone
03-11-08, 07:27 AM
So you guys are basically saying that there is no way to disable the seat belt chime through the electronics of the truck. If thats true I have to say that is simply ridiculous, a $70,000 vehicle and they dont even allow you to disable the seat belt chime. Most vehicles give you the option, I dont see what the big deal is. I could be wrong, but I dont think grown people need a beeper to remind them of something...

What are the vehicles that give you the option to disable the seat belt chimes? You can not even drive my Jag without the seatbelt being connected or you get a 100 db ringing that does not stop until your seatbelt is on.

TSS
03-11-08, 09:15 AM
I have never had a vehicle with that option either. Despite my comment above, I realized that even when I am at the Lake house on a deserted private dirt road, I wear my seatbelt. It is just habit. One of my habits I am actually proud of... :o

roccos_van
03-11-08, 03:24 PM
The escalade is one of the least offensive of the new seat belt chime equipped vehicles, believe me. Took out an '08 X5, which will chime non stop the entire time, plus show "Please fasten seat belt" with an icon in the heads up display. The escalade gives up after a while at least.

HotScott7
03-11-08, 05:10 PM
I would say that majority of the vehicles out there give you the option. It is just usually something they do via the computer, or a difficult procedure which they dont want many people to figure out, or be aware of. A lot of companies use the method of key on plug and unplug seat belt some odd number of times. And that will disable it. There is no reason for a lawyer to sue anyone over a seat belt chime. As there is no law (that I am aware of) which states every vehicle must be equipped with a seat belt chime, which cant be disabled. Yes it is the law to wear your belt, but as I stated above, I dont think you need a beeper to remind you.

Below is a picture of my main transportation, it was equipped with a seat belt chime and was easily disabled. I also know of numerous people with other vehicles that have been able to disable theirs on other vehicles. It is possible, its just tied into more stuff on certain vehicles.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q149/Hotscott7/THEJEEP-2.jpg

hcvone
03-11-08, 07:53 PM
As long as your pix is hosted you can use IMG like this ******* , you are saying there are companies that hack into the wiring to get the chime to be disabled, I agree with that, but I have never seen that option on a Tech II tool like GM uses to program or change the cars computer.

TSS
03-11-08, 08:18 PM
Scott,

As you know, clients - not lawyers sue over ridiculous stuff like this.

Easy scenario . "I bought a used Lade. The chime did not go off. So, since I am forgetful, I did not buckle . " Stupid , yes - but being indignant b/c you cannot bypass a proven safety feature is equally confusing to me. Should I also be able to bypass ABS ? Driver's Air bag? My advice: buckle up or follow the above advice re: getting another male buckle and you should be all set.

Good luck.

hcvone
03-11-08, 08:41 PM
There is a federal mandated warning light and buzer, they are talking about making it last up to a minute, so any company selling something to disable that could be sued. :)

At Congress's request, the committee, chaired by psychologist William C. Howell, PhD, of Arizona State and Rice universities, reviewed both published and proprietary research to explore ways to increase seat belt use. The committee--which also included psychologist Patricia DeLucia, PhD, of Texas Tech University, and Allan Williams, PhD, a psychologist with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety--determined that a reminder system that is more persistent than the currently mandated 4- to 8-second warning light and buzzer could increase seat belt use by as much as 5 percentage points if all vehicles had enhanced systems. "Even an increase of 1 percentage point would save hundreds of lives every year," says Howell.

saleen471
03-11-08, 08:48 PM
I disabled my Dodge Megacab and my Ford F250. Both trucks gave the instructions on how to disable in the owners manual.

airhammer
03-11-08, 09:14 PM

You are way over estimating grown people. If something can be disabled then it can be forgotten to be enabled when needed. For example: Husband disables seat belt chime to get the mail. Wife hops in the car next just to make a quick grocery run. In a hurry, thinking about shopping list, dinner, etc., she forgets to buckle in, get's plowed by a drunk. Husband blames himself for the rest of his life. Stupid shit like this happens all the time.

Seat belt chimes are not stupid. Disabling safety devices is stupid. Seat belts save lives. 2 members of my family have been saved by them.

Minor chime annoyance is nothing compared to the risk of a life lost or crippled. If the chime bothers you that much, just buckle it. They are hard to disable for a reason.

bigwatr
03-11-08, 11:24 PM
I disabled my Dodge Megacab and my Ford F250. Both trucks gave the instructions on how to disable in the owners manual.

I wish I had known how to disable the chime in my 05 Excursion. It was totally annoying. My Lade's is much less intrusive. Yet another reason to like the truck.

2spaces
03-12-08, 11:24 AM
obviously you do

HotScott7
03-12-08, 10:36 PM
I now see why we have seat belt chimes, because 90% of the public is exactly like 90% of the replies on this thread. If you are not smart enough to know whether to wear a seat belt or not. Or if you need a beeper to remind you of such a thing...you flat out shouldnt be driving. You definitely shouldnt be driving an Escalade, thats for sure.

Also like I stated above it is very simple to disable it in numerous vehicles. I am not sure if you can do it through the tech II, but I am guessing it is possible, or going to be possible with an update. Ford has been known for their annoying seat belt chime for years, but you most generally could disable it. If GM is going to go that route without allowing a disable feature, they are going to piss a lot of customers off.

And to the people who say seat belts save lifes, thanks for the advice. But believe me I dont need the lectures, I drive an 800 HP race car with a 5 point harness, as a profession, I know seat belts help. I never said dont wear them, I simply said the beeper is flat out dumb. Dont read into things so much....

hcvone
03-13-08, 07:58 AM
Scott, thank you for your smart ass remarks, by your post it's you that should not be driving an Escalade, maybe for your next post you can tell us about disconnecting our speedometer, or stealing cable. Your post added nothing to this Forum. Closed.