: Just a dream of mine

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 02:21 PM
Nevermind the craziness of the idea. This something I've always wanted to do: I want to drive a Cadillac to 1,000,000 miles. If a Chevrolet can do it, why not a Caddy? There's only one issue I can think of: If/when this dream becomes a reality, which Cadillac should I choose? I know that I want either another '89 Fleetwood Coupe, which is where my heart is, or a new DTS Performance. Maybe seeing a Cadillac hit a million miles would send shockwaves through the automotive community that this brand is nothing to stick your nose up at. Thoughts? opinions?

Spyder
03-10-08, 02:56 PM
Find a sponsor to pay the fuel bill...

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 03:12 PM
Find a sponsor to pay the fuel bill...

Even though I wanted it to be something like me driving a lot making it to a million and not necessarily creating a contest to see how long it would take, that's a great idea.

EcSTSatic
03-10-08, 03:26 PM
you realize if you drove 15,000 miles a year it will take you 66 years to hit a million !? Even if you got avg 20MPG, at $3/gal it would cost $150K. And you know that cost will go up. Depressing huh?

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 03:31 PM
you realize if you drove 15,000 miles a year it will take you 66 years to hit a million !? Even if you got avg 20MPG, at $3/gal it would cost $150K. And you know that cost will go up. Depressing huh?

Oh yes, I did that figuring. The thing is, I'd love to travel the US all by my own car rather than plane. Figuring going all around the US during most of the year, I think the miles will rack up rather quickly. Highway miles are much easier on a car, correct? Remember, it's just a long shot dream I'm sharing out loud. Also, as you can tell, the cost of gas doesn't concern me. It is a Cadillac after all.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-10-08, 03:35 PM
Nevermind the craziness of the idea. This something I've always wanted to do: I want to drive a Cadillac to 1,000,000 miles. If a Chevrolet can do it, why not a Caddy? There's only one issue I can think of: If/when this dream becomes a reality, which Cadillac should I choose? I know that I want either another '89 Fleetwood Coupe, which is where my heart is, or a new DTS Performance. Maybe seeing a Cadillac hit a million miles would send shockwaves through the automotive community that this brand is nothing to stick your nose up at. Thoughts? opinions?

Cadillac can't do it because something keeps breaking every damn mile. ;) I wanna see it done in one of the older caddy's, like a 4.5 or a 4.9.

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 03:44 PM
Cadillac can't do it because something keeps breaking every damn mile. ;) I wanna see it done in one of the older caddy's, like a 4.5 or a 4.9.

That's what I was thinking. I wanted to save my '89 and go for it in that, but fate dashed that dream. Oh well, there are others out there. But, yes, I was leaning towards the older Caddys :)

Spyder
03-10-08, 03:45 PM
A hundred and fifty thousand dollars doesn't concern you? Ya wanna drop me about twelve hundred to help pay off taxes this year?

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 04:14 PM
A hundred and fifty thousand dollars doesn't concern you? Ya wanna drop me about twelve hundred to help pay off taxes this year?

Hey, the car would be my everyday driver including substitution for air travel. Because of that, I'm not concerned about fuel. That money would be spent regardless even if one were to change cars six or seven times and drive daily. If I were to drop you money, then everyone would want help :D

EcSTSatic
03-10-08, 04:19 PM
Besides sponsors, you need a gimmick. How about welding/bolting in a time capsule or something?

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 04:21 PM
Besides sponsors, you need a gimmick. How about welding/bolting in a time capsule or something?

Hmm, I don't know about all that. I think I want this to be an "accident" where I just keep running the car 'till the wheels fall off. When it happens, that's when I tell Cadillac or Guiness or the Media or whatever.

orconn
03-10-08, 05:14 PM
Get yourself a 78 Coupe de Ville or Fleetwood ........ nothing very drastic to go wrong and you could sleep in the back seat! Don't count on GM as a sponsor; they don't want people to know their cars are capable of very high mileage. They want to sell them a new one every two years!

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 05:29 PM
Get yourself a 78 Coupe de Ville or Fleetwood ........ nothing very drastic to go wrong and you could sleep in the back seat! Don't count on GM as a sponsor; they don't want people to know their cars are capable of very high mileage. They want to sell them a new one every two years!

Good point. Truth be told, I don't want a sponsor. I want this to be all by my own doing.

Spyder
03-10-08, 05:48 PM
Hey, the car would be my everyday driver including substitution for air travel. Because of that, I'm not concerned about fuel. That money would be spent regardless even if one were to change cars six or seven times and drive daily. If I were to drop you money, then everyone would want help :D

That doesn't change the fact that I want free money.

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 05:52 PM
That doesn't change the fact that I want free money.

That'll happen only if I can get a ride in your Challenger.

xshrpshtr
03-10-08, 10:48 PM
Gimmick? How about running over a terrorist every mile?

Destroyer
03-10-08, 11:44 PM
Do it in a N* powered car like a '98 Deville. Headgasket job every 80k or so would be like 12.5 headgasket jobs @$3500/ea = $43,750 plus every other issue. Sounds like a good idea...................:alchi:

SlxAlxx
03-11-08, 12:07 AM
Do it in a N* powered car like a '98 Deville. Headgasket job every 80k or so would be like 12.5 headgasket jobs @$3500/ea = $43,750 plus every other issue. Sounds like a good idea...................:alchi:

I had a '97. No thanks. I think I'll stick with the 4.5

gary88
03-11-08, 12:15 AM
Damn, I wanted to make the N* headgasket joke :helpless:

xshrpshtr
03-11-08, 12:18 AM
LIARS! everyone knows the N* goes 100,000 miles before you even have to tune it up.

BigJon
03-11-08, 01:23 AM
i wonder if the northstar could do it..

SlxAlxx
03-11-08, 12:06 PM
i wonder if the northstar could do it..

That's why I was wondering, should I use a 4.5 or a Northstar-powered Caddy?

Spyder
03-11-08, 05:28 PM
Why not a 4.9? :D

SlxAlxx
03-11-08, 06:54 PM
Why not a 4.9? :D

I don't object to a 4.9 at all. The TBI 4.5 motor is one that I've had great experiences with. Like I said, this is a long term thing that I would love to go through with. It's not even for bragging rights. I just want to push a Cadillac into the record books. Since I'll be sitting my ass in the car for a long time and many many miles, I want to make sure I absolutely love it. I guess this brings up a mini discussion; Do you have more faith in a 4.5 or 4.9 liter engine?

Destroyer
03-11-08, 08:29 PM
I don't object to a 4.9 at all. The TBI 4.5 motor is one that I've had great experiences with. Like I said, this is a long term thing that I would love to go through with. It's not even for bragging rights. I just want to push a Cadillac into the record books. Since I'll be sitting my ass in the car for a long time and many many miles, I want to make sure I absolutely love it. I guess this brings up a mini discussion; Do you have more faith in a 4.5 or 4.9 liter engine?You would be much better off doing it in an old RWD Cadillac with any motor except the 4100.

Spyder
03-12-08, 11:34 AM
Aren't the 4.1, 4.5 and 4.9 damned near the same engine?

93DevilleUSMC
03-12-08, 01:36 PM
Aren't the 4.1, 4.5 and 4.9 damned near the same engine?

Yes, except the 4.5s and 4.9s weren't garbage like the 4.1s were.

SlxAlxx
03-12-08, 01:39 PM
Yes, except the 4.5s and 4.9s weren't garbage like the 4.1s were.

Precisely.

BigJon
03-13-08, 12:57 AM
i want to see it in a northstar