: Warranty Service more limited?

AWF_AXIS
03-10-08, 12:56 PM
I have an '07 with 20k, and the engine service light came on last week. Called my Caddy Dealer, and they said the earliest they could schedule me in was 10 days.

I had taken my '07 to the GMC dealer in the past (I used to have a Denali). They always could fit me in within 2 days, and will give me same or next day service on any engine light issues.

So I get the appt, and when I get there, Mr. Goodwrench tells me they can no longer do any warranty service on my '07.

After moaning and groaning for a while, the service mgr gets an authorization to service it. (I live in Lake Tahoe, and its a drive down to Reno, NV).

My Caddy dealer is always 1 to 2 weeks out for any service (even when it was undriveable one time). GMC has always gotten me in quickly.

Anyone in Caddy land know if this is for real? I've given up complaining to my Caddy dealer (about wait times) because they just don't care.

Don't want to have to fight Mr. Goodwrench (GMC) each time I need work done.

Dave

FYI: Problem was a valve in the gas tank, part of the emmissions system. Needs replacement, requiring waiting for the part, and then having to drop the gas tank.

hcvone
03-10-08, 02:00 PM
My dealer is usually 1-2 days for warranty or service work if you call to make an appointment, glad I have needed neither.

TSS
03-10-08, 02:21 PM
So I get the appt, and when I get there, Mr. Goodwrench tells me they can no longer do any warranty service on my '07.

I don't understand. What is the rest of the story? Why did they claim they could no longer do warrantee service?

If you like the GMC dealer, just bring the Caddy there. Any GM dealer can service (warrantee) any GM product now (been that way since the demise of Oldsmobile).

dkozloski
03-10-08, 02:26 PM
Consider yourself lucky. Around here it's a month wait on an appointment and weeks in the shop for almost any problem.

AWF_AXIS
03-10-08, 02:31 PM
I don't understand. What is the rest of the story? Why did they claim they could no longer do warrantee service?

If you like the GMC dealer, just bring the Caddy there. Any GM dealer can service (warrantee) any GM product now (been that way since the demise of Oldsmobile).

They [GMC Dealer] are saying that GM corporate has dictated that they can no longer perform Warranty Service on Cadillacs. (With the exception being my visit last week).

I'm hoping someone on this board who is associated with GM can clarify this, or perhaps give me advice on how to cirumvent this reluctance every time I need service.

Dave

TSS
03-10-08, 02:34 PM
Consider yourself lucky. Around here it's a month wait on an appointment and weeks in the shop for almost any problem.

Ok, Alaska I kinda understand. But CA?

AWF_AXIS
03-10-08, 02:51 PM
The Caddy dealer in Reno, NV is the ONLY dealer in my area. Carson City NV is still another 30 miles away, but an hour more drive because of the mountains here. It already takes 45 minutes just to get to the Reno dealer.

The Caddy dealer (also does Land Rover) has a small service center, and it's always backed up. You'd think they'd expand a bit. I guess customer service isn't that profitable.

Dave

TSS
03-10-08, 03:40 PM
They [GMC Dealer] are saying that GM corporate has dictated that they can no longer perform Warranty Service on Cadillacs. (With the exception being my visit last week).

I'm hoping someone on this board who is associated with GM can clarify this, or perhaps give me advice on how to cirumvent this reluctance every time I need service.

Dave

Gotcha - I misunderstood. It is a GMC dealer saying they can't work on your truck anymore, not a caddy dealer saying that. That still seems wrong, but at least makes a smidge of sense. Sorry.

hcvone
03-10-08, 03:42 PM
My Chevy dealer who used to work on my GMC and even my 03' Escalade they did a computer program update, told me he can not do anything on my 07's in the shop, he said he would still come to my house and do things. :confused:

ewill3rd
03-10-08, 09:12 PM
I haven't heard anything from GM about changing the way they do this, but it is called "crossline" warranty.

Sometimes other dealers can make a lot of noise to the AVM (area manager) if they are losing business to another franchise, i.e. taking your Cadi to a GMC shop.
If the techs are trained and they have vehicles similar to yours then crossline should not be an issue, however it is up to the SM and the AVM to decide. Technically it is supposed to be on an "emergency" basis.
The defenition of an "emergency" can vary from place to place. Anytime someone wants me to work on their car I consider it at least "urgent".

Maybe you can persuade them to do it on an "emergency" basis because the Cad store is 2 weeks out on something like a MIL (check engine light) and you are concerned about doing some damage. "I tried to get Cadillac to look at it but they are too busy, and you guys have always treated me right" would be a good opener.
They are not under obligation to do it, but I like to as a courtesy to my customers. I don't want to take business away from other local franchises, but I don't want my customers to have to put up with sub-standard service at another shop when I know I can do it right. (not to say anything bad about other local dealers ;) )
There are a lot of GM cars I might not touch, because I don't know about some of the newer product from other carlines. I could figure it out, but it would take more time.

Basically it boils down to your local market and your local AVM and manager of each store.
If you give them a feeling of "urgency" when you go in they will be more likely to help you in the future.
They might be getting pressure from "above".
I only do it once in a while, but it is not an issue for me. My SM is cool with it, and so is our AVM because he knows I am World Class Certified and have worked for every division of GM at one time or another.
:D

91sonomast
03-11-08, 08:49 PM
Im with ewill3rd completely. but as far as getting bad CS, i would ask for the AVM's phone number, talk to him and explain your situation, how you do not feel as though you have been treated properly, that there is ALWAYS an unacceptable wait time, and overall you are not happy with your experience, and that your local GMC dealership has always treated you right, fair, and quickly. The AVM might beable to do some talking and let you take your Caddy to your local, and much more prepared GMC dealership. Its worth a shot, and as long as you express your feelings properly and do not demeen him/her, or bad talk the dealership, they might be willing to help you out. Good luck, hopefully something good will come out of it, and remember, the "Man", is a person just like me and you and likes to be treated fairly and has probably been in a similiar situation before.
and ewill3rd, im jealous, I have worked for Chevrolet, Caddy/Slaab, still want to get the rest taken care of sometime down the road, love my GM's!