: Camshaft bolts ??

srinne
03-10-08, 01:17 PM
I am in the process of re-building my engine. I removed the camshaft gears from all four camshafts. The bolts that hold the pulleys (cam gears) are a one-time-use thing. Does anyone know where I can find four new bolts?

I need them asap....thanks in advance.

frank moran
03-10-08, 04:07 PM
I am in the process of re-building my engine. I removed the camshaft gears from all four camshafts. The bolts that hold the pulleys (cam gears) are a one-time-use thing. Does anyone know where I can find four new bolts?

I need them asap....thanks in advance.

try the dealer, (you are doing the job correctly), however I beleive you can get by reusing these torque to yield bolts again, I would not do it on head bolts or rod bolts etc.. but in this application you will be OK. The gear is keyed and also sits on the cam shoulder , they are also low torque etc. just my .02.

srinne
03-10-08, 04:11 PM
Shoot...I just got back from the dealer. They charged me $9.00 a bolt ($36 total).

Thanks Frank (I just wish I would have seen this sooner!)

frank moran
03-10-08, 06:50 PM
Shoot...I just got back from the dealer. They charged me $9.00 a bolt ($36 total).

Thanks Frank (I just wish I would have seen this sooner!)

better safe than sorry, before you lay the cams in the heads have the crank positioned about 60deg. btdc on number 1, this will assure that none of the pistons will be at TDC, this way the valves wont have any chance of hitting the pistons when you torque the cams down. Some of the valves will be forced open during the cam install process. Just some caution....