: My old car coming back to haunt me?

SlxAlxx
03-09-08, 08:48 PM
Some of you may recall my accident last year involving my '89 Fleetwood Coupe. I sold it off after the accident, mourned, and moved on. I decided to go onto Florida's DMV website and check up on it (curiosity got the best of me.) I found this: "There is a STOP on the record found for the title or VIN that was entered. For more information, please call the Customer Service Center at 850/617-2000. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Please have the title or VIN number available when you call." I'm not quite sure what that means and I don't know if I want to call them and just get myself into hot water, if I'm not yet in it. Apparently, the car is still in my name as the title number and date coincide with my records. Does anyone have knowledge of anything like this? I could use a little guidance. If you need it, the VIN is: 1G6CB1157K4374224. Thanks!

orconn
03-09-08, 10:44 PM
I don't know about Florida, but in many states their is a form you fill out and file independently of the buyer, which notifies DMV that you are no longer the owner of the car and thus relieves you of liability attached to the vehicle. If you didn't fill out and send the form I would get one and send it in to them.

I would also call the number and find out why the car's registaration is in its' curent status so that you can make sure their aren't other ramifications to the new buyer's failure to register the car in his name.

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 01:24 AM
I don't know about Florida, but in many states their is a form you fill out and file independently of the buyer, which notifies DMV that you are no longer the owner of the car and thus relieves you of liability attached to the vehicle. If you didn't fill out and send the form I would get one and send it in to them.

I would also call the number and find out why the car's registaration is in its' curent status so that you can make sure their aren't other ramifications to the new buyer's failure to register the car in his name.

I'll definitely do so. See, the car was sold to him as junk. He told me that he pulled the drivetrain out and sold it to a junkyard for scrap. That's what I'm confused about. Could the "stop" mean that the car has been recycled?

dkozloski
03-10-08, 01:36 AM
Somebody probably switched the title and VIN plate to a stolen car and got caught.

Spyder
03-10-08, 02:03 AM
Yea...so they're probably looking for you as a suspect now...

Night Wolf
03-10-08, 02:08 AM
wrecked '89 Fleetwood Coupe with title......... clean '93 Coupe DeVille with no title....same car...... both in Florida......

things that make you go hmmm.....

JC316
03-10-08, 02:10 AM
Yeah, mine almost came back to haunt me. Got a letter from a towing company saying that I had 2 weeks to come collect my car and pay the $400 tow and storage fee, I called them and told them that it wasn't mine anymore and they sent it straight to auction and dropped the fees.

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 11:17 AM
wrecked '89 Fleetwood Coupe with title......... clean '93 Coupe DeVille with no title....same car...... both in Florida......

things that make you go hmmm.....

Is that an example, or did you find something like that about 'my' car? I really can't call the tax collector because I simply don't have any money to be paying for fees, forms, or even the means to repossess the car (if that's what they want.)
I think I'll just start :alchi:

minnesotamom
03-10-08, 11:36 AM
If it is showing up in your name still, it means that you are still the last registered owner. Even if you sold the car to a junk yard, the title should've been transferred. Definitely call them and find out why. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain as there could be potential liability on your part if this car is still out there and being driven.
Did you get a bill of sale from the buyer? That would help if there's a problem. Regardless, you're going to be worrying about this until you find out..so do call them. It's very doubtful that you'll end up having to pay anything. I don't know how it works in your state..every one is different...but the STOP really could mean that the car was scrapped..but I would still think the name would've been changed.

dkozloski
03-10-08, 03:30 PM
A local used car dealer was getting paperwork for junked cars from a salvage yard and was using it for collateral to borrow money from the bank. Total money was BIG numbers. He is now sitting in the penitentiary for the next 20 years.

SlxAlxx
03-10-08, 04:31 PM
A local used car dealer was getting paperwork for junked cars from a salvage yard and was using it for collateral to borrow money from the bank. Total money was BIG numbers. He is now sitting in the penitentiary for the next 20 years.

Sounds like a great guy.

Night Wolf
03-11-08, 02:27 AM
Is that an example, or did you find something like that about 'my' car? I really can't call the tax collector because I simply don't have any money to be paying for fees, forms, or even the means to repossess the car (if that's what they want.)
I think I'll just start :alchi:

My Coupe was stolen in 2006 from Clearwater, never to be found of or heard of again :(