: My thoughts on the ford fusion

misfit6794
03-09-08, 01:18 PM
Had a chance to drive an 07 fusion that had 8000 miles on it for about an hour (my sister rented it). It was the base model with the 4 banger. THe interior was a big step up from previous fords I have been in, but that was really the only highpoint. The brakes were painfully difficult to modulate easily, extremely grabby, altough they felt strong, they were really annoying. It handled ok, but the steering was a little heavy. The stereo was crap. THe ride was good, but not that much better than my 02 camry with shocks that have seen better days. The absolute nail in the coffin though was how loud the engine was. I couldn't believe it, sounded like a rattling can. When I first started it, I thought there was no oil in it, or maybe it was just cold, but no, its just obnoxious. I think it was just about as loud as my bronco. Maybe the v6 is better. But after driving it for a hour, then hoping back in my 6 year old camry with 90000 miles, there was no just comparison, the camry was better, in every way. Kind of makes me wonder about those ford ads, where they drive the fusion back to back with the camry, those people must have been on something.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-08, 01:36 PM
I'd generally say that the V-6 is the way to go in these cars. Since the Mazda 6 came out a few years back, those cars have been getting rave reviews when equipped with that 3.0L Twin Cam V6. My father drove a Mazda 6 with that 2.3L I-4 and automatic a few years back and didn't like it....said the engine was noisy and gutless, and you had to really get into it to get any power out of it. I work with a girl who has a V-6 Mazda 6 and she loves it, but when I went out to lunch with her the other day, we took my car, and I had to goose the throttle at one point to cross a busy intersection and she said my car had more oomph off the line than hers does, which is really funny because my motor doesn't hardly make any low end power.

gary88
03-09-08, 02:17 PM
Have you driven a Ford lately? :histeric:

Jesda
03-09-08, 07:20 PM
The Mazda 6 I4 I rented was fantastic. Steering was sharp, chassis was balanced, and cornering was nice and flat. Power was adequate, since the 6 is lighter than the Fusion, but braking was spongy.

I enjoyed the Mazda tremendously and would buy one. The Fusion, being a bigger and heavier car, needs a V6.

I've never enjoyed a car less than the 01+ Camry.

c5 rv
03-09-08, 07:23 PM
My son just leased a Mazda6 I4 with a manual trans and is very pleased with it. He considered a Mazda3, but the clutch position wasn't comfortable for him.

caddycruiser
03-09-08, 10:29 PM
The Fusion is a very nice, and actually very well built and refined car, but yes the 2.3L is not a model of 4-cyl perfection. Known for being gruff in sound and not as powerful as it could and should be. The V6 versions are great, and it's also one of the few vehicles in this class to offer AWD optional...not something I'd ever get, but great to be offered.

Next year the Fusion gets a refresh (as do the Milan and MKZ), and should therefore also get the newly revised 2.5L 4-cyl that will replace the 2.3L and is said to be more refined and have more power.

All in all, still full of '08 Malibu love, but the Ford triplets of similar size are very respectable cars--and will hopefully clear up any current downfalls with their '09 refreshes.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-10-08, 06:08 PM
I test drove a Lincoln MKZ with my aunt about a month ago because she is looking for a new car and I loved it. I know its a Lincoln and not a Ford, but they are the same thing with different bodies and interiors. It had good power and an excellent ride. The kicker though is that you can get a fully loaded one for only $35,000. I don't care who you are, thats a good deal there.

ryannel2003
03-10-08, 06:31 PM
Car and Driver placed the Fusion 6th out of 7th midsize cars in they're recent comparison test for the same reasons you listed. I've driven a I4 Mazda 6 and it didn't seem bad at all. Much nicer than the '02-'06 Camry's i've driven, which are boring to the point of insanity (and much more so than my '00 LE).

caddycruiser
03-10-08, 07:00 PM
Car and Driver placed the Fusion 6th out of 7th midsize cars in they're recent comparison test for the same reasons you listed. I've driven a I4 Mazda 6 and it didn't seem bad at all. Much nicer than the '02-'06 Camry's i've driven, which are boring to the point of insanity (and much more so than my '00 LE).

Yes. They very much liked it, but given the test specs of all with 4-cylinders, said the 2.3L was the one main item that held it back. Otherwise, it is one of the nicest driving and, actually, built sedans in the class, but has been ignored more and more recently. Trim and drivetrain options make a huge difference with them.

Again, the revised exterior and interior and touches such as revised powertrains should really help for '09.

MN-STS-LOVER
03-10-08, 07:07 PM
I have a client with a Merc Millan with the I4. He loves it but I can't believe how loud the engine is. He thinks it's a race car and pounds on it every chance he gets. What a joke! it sounds like it is going to fly apart. The kicker is when we talk about the gas milage we both get, my N* is right with him.

caddycruiser
03-10-08, 07:16 PM
I have a client with a Merc Millan with the I4. He loves it but I can't believe how loud the engine is. He thinks it's a race car and pounds on it every chance he gets. What a joke! it sounds like it is going to fly apart. The kicker is when we talk about the gas milage we both get, my N* is right with him.

Exactly. The 2.3L is not a bad engine at all, but the agricultural sound is not a good thing...and yet another thing mentioned by the C&D review. That's always been a trait of it, in various cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 07:53 PM
Does that 2.3L make good power and does it have a nice powerband, or is at all peaks and valleys?