: Daylight Saving Time

Eld01
03-09-08, 09:58 AM
Does anyone else HATE losing the hour as much as me ? It takes my infernal internal clock forever to adjust, and then about the time it does, they change again ! Can't they make it a little easier and spread it out, take 15 min. a week untill they get their hour ? Split the difference and leave it alone ? I wonder if my boss will let me come and stay an hour later ? It would be to his benefit 'cause that first hour I'm gonna spend trying to find second gear comming out of granny low. There gotta be a better way, Anyone else got any ideas?

dkozloski
03-09-08, 12:52 PM
WOW! Jet lag must be fatal to you.

Night Wolf
03-09-08, 03:39 PM
It worked out great.....

see while most "loose an hour of sleep"..... I lost an hour of being awake..... at work. Can't get much better then that.

So at 1:55AM we were standing around watching the clock saying, ok in 5mins it's going to be 2AM, but then go 1hr ahead, so it'll really be 3AM, which is time for our 2nd break....

Of course its not like we really had much to do the whole night anyway so we just kept standing around doing whatever we were doing before....

Goes both ways tho... in the fall we gotta stay an extra hr at work and not get overtime for it :( Ah well....

thebigjimsho
03-09-08, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I'm usually cranky losing that hour. But that crankiness wears off fast when I see a nice 6:30PM sunset. Hooray.

AlBundy
03-09-08, 05:18 PM
Ooooh, so it does actually wears off. Hmmmm.

TexasCadillac
03-09-08, 05:40 PM
I don't like daylight savings time either. Hawaii and Nevada does not turn their clocks back and get by fine. I think changing time is a bad idea.

Red_October_7000
03-09-08, 06:16 PM
It is a bad idea... I had the misfortune of being up at 9:00 today and was watching some awful morning news magazine thing and they had a segment that said daylight savings time wastes way more money than it saves.

dkozloski
03-09-08, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'm usually cranky losing that hour. But that crankiness wears off fast when I see a nice 6:30PM sunset. Hooray.
Another couple of months and there's no sunset at all.

JC316
03-09-08, 06:56 PM
I can't fuc*ing STAND daylight savings time. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get one damned time zone and stick with it!!!!!!!

hueterm
03-09-08, 09:41 PM
I wish it was DST all year -- drop the standard time.

Eld01
03-09-08, 10:45 PM
I wish it was DST all year -- drop the standard time.

One or the other, I don't care. Just go to one and leave it alone.

Night Wolf
03-09-08, 11:23 PM

6:30PM sunset?

I saw that last week....

now it's the 8PM sunset..... atleast I'll drive to work when it's still light out :) Get to look out of the hanger over the airport and see the orangish sunset in a vast open area....... pretty nice.... not as nice as watching the sun itself set over the Gulf in Clearwater.... but still not all that bad to see after you get to work everyday :)

Night Wolf
03-09-08, 11:24 PM
I can't fuc*ing STAND daylight savings time. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get one damned time zone and stick with it!!!!!!!

lol, it's already around.....called zulu time :)

Florian
03-09-08, 11:47 PM
GMT rules!

F

dkozloski
03-10-08, 01:42 AM
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

xshrpshtr
03-10-08, 02:30 AM
miller time?

Eld01
03-10-08, 06:02 AM
This is when it hurts, right now. Coffee is brewing, looking like a normal start to my day. My infernal internal kept me up when the clock on the wall says go to bed. The clock by my bed says get up, the infernal internal says it ain't time...I hate having to flip the clock. Coffee's ready, hope everyone's day will be good.

ewill3rd
03-10-08, 06:46 AM
DST is pathetically stupid.
I am not sure where they think this energy savings is realized, but it isn't in my house.
Nothing changes except the time I turn the lights on.
I can't stand it, all it does is make everyone tired, grumpy, and causes accidents. It makes people early or late for work, helps people get sick by weakening their immune systems, and makes people generally cranky.
The daylight is the same, I am so sick of hearing this "oh I love having the extra daylight!". What a crock.
The daylight is there, they just don't use it... they have to have some retarded cultural myth to justify making use of daylight?
Time, calendars, numbers... it is all made up garbage. I know we need it, but I am so tired of all these mythical games people play with it, like it means something.

Now someone come over here and try to get my kid out of bed an hour earlier and get him ready for school!!!

minnesotamom
03-10-08, 07:54 AM
I'm hating on DST today, that's for sure. Couldn't fall asleep last night..then woke up early all confused this morning. The kids didn't want to get up for school and were all surly and snarly. DST sucks.

Florian
03-10-08, 10:03 AM
UTC works as well...being of the flying sort, Im GMT +5 or +6 depending on ST or DT.

F

dkozloski
03-10-08, 01:09 PM
Some years ago Alaska Standard Time was shifted one hour closer to Pacific Standard Time. Now that we're on Alaska Daylight Time the sun doesn't reach its zenith until 2:00PM local time and in the summer, it's broad daylight at midnight.

77CDV
03-10-08, 01:36 PM
DST is just so useless. Whether we move the clocks or not, the days get longer anyway, at least until June 22. I'd just like them to pick ST or DT and stick with it. It's not like we're not picking crops anymore and need the "extra" evening light.

MauiV
03-10-08, 03:12 PM
Sunset at 6pm sucks nuts. Living on the Western edge of the Eastern time zone I LOVE when its 9:45 in the summer and still light out.

If your body cant take an hour change you should just wear an extra kotex to bed that night and go to bed an hour earlier.

Come work a swing if you wanna bitch about something. 5 8-hour shifts between 6pm Friday night and 6:15 am Tuesday morning normally with 2 8 hour quick turns in there somewhere.

Friday 6pm-2am
Saturday 1pm-9pm
Sunday 7am-3am
Monday 6am-2pm and 10:15pm-6:15am Tuesday morning

And that isnt sitting at a desk punching keys, trying to stay awake, its performing the most stressful job there is AND our busiest time is 11 pm-2am.

Its a body killer and the reason virtually everyone I work with is out the door at 50 years of age.

So suck up the hour less sleep your system has to take once a year Nancy.

EcSTSatic
03-10-08, 03:30 PM
Move to Arizona
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/weather/qt/timezone.htm

ewill3rd
03-10-08, 04:19 PM
I think there are other states that don't do it also.
I think parts of Indiana in addition to those mentioned.

Maui, you chose your job... or at least you choose to keep doing it.
I used to work hours like that, that is one of the reasons I quit that retarded job.
I don't think people should be required to suffer unless they choose to like you did.

Thanks for posting your opinion, if you don't mind, I'll have my own.

MauiV
03-10-08, 08:57 PM
Indiana now all switches.

I knew when I transfered that mids were the busiest time, thats what Brown does for me so I suck it up and do my job and dont cry about a 1 hour shift to the system one time a year.

ewill3rd
03-10-08, 09:23 PM
I am getting old, grumpy and sensitive... not necessarily in that order :lol:

Ranger
03-10-08, 10:14 PM
Doesn't bother me a bit. Working 1500-2300 I just sleep through it and get up an hour later.

Eld01
03-11-08, 05:47 AM
Indiana now all switches.

I knew when I transfered that mids were the busiest time, thats what Brown does for me so I suck it up and do my job and dont cry about a 1 hour shift to the system one time a year.

But it's two times a year, thou the return to standard is easier to deal with. I'll give you a Purple Promise on that !!!

MauiV
03-11-08, 05:43 PM
The other switch is an hour MORE sleep, who bitches about that? I work 8 hours either night regardless.

Id hate to think some of these people ever get on a plane and travel more than a time zone away. Their bodies would shut down it sounds like.

ewill3rd
03-11-08, 09:13 PM
The most I have flown was from CA to here, what is that 5 hours diff?
I didn't have a job, didn't have anything to do, so I had lots of time to adjust.

Whenever I vacation I rarely go more than 3 time zones and I just try to stay on my own time while I am there.
Odd I guess, but it has worked thus far. Not sure what I will do later this year when I have to do some real travel.... cry like a Nancy boy I guess :lol: