: What makes you of this...

Sandy
03-08-08, 04:48 PM
Our 24 year old son has a girlfriend. Girlfriend is a Jr in college. For the 1st two years, they are not allowed to have a car on campus. She does not live on campus, but commutes the 4O miles each day (80 round trip). Now, as a Junior AND a commuter, she is allowed to brig & park a car on campus. I offered to assist her in finding her a nice late model (2003-2005) car, since she's a no-nothing, car-wise.
So...... she calls up looking for my son, who was on the way home from his job, and she tells me that her Mom bought her a NEW car. So, I ask what it is. She bought her a 2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK (Convertible hardtop) for $61,800. First car for a 20 year old. It has alot of options on it, but I forget it all. Navigation, rims, heated steering wheel & seats...Of course the oblicatory Silver Metallic. The mother was a nurse. Lost job. There is no father present. They live in a moderate apartment complex.
I freaked.
Our son bought his own car, (2007 Mazda 3 Grand Touring) and put down $15,000 cash he saved up and took a 4 year loan on the other $11,000 balance, which he has been paying off.

thebigjimsho
03-08-08, 05:00 PM
Does her mom do any "side" work? Geesh.

orconn
03-08-08, 05:06 PM
Me thinks a lot of people have their priorities all out of touch with reality! But let's face it this is not an uncommon situation in America today. It is sad that an unemployed mother would think that an expensive car would somehow make a young college student's life any happier, for that matter any parent would think that they can buy their kid's happiness with some expensive luxury item.

BigJon
03-08-08, 05:09 PM
damn... that insane i wish my mom would buy me a 62,000$ car

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 05:27 PM
It seems insane, but VERY common especially at my college. Granted, being 98% white, middle to very upper class Catholic, etc. kids, from Jersey, New York, PA, etc., it isn't a shock...but it is what it is.

We stereotypically live up to that image of kids driving BMW 3-series, as I know many who do and there's always another daily. Of course, most of which are parent paid for, but there's a few who have put their own money out. There are also many who have paid for their own cars--a variety of still mostly new, but cheaper, vehicles--too, so it balances out.

One that shocked me recently? A fellow senior, and a girl, showed up after Christmas break with a new '08 Mercedes GL550...not even a smaller MB, but the biggest SUV they make, with the biggest engine offered, etc. all for a bargain of $85k. Every day, it's as filthy as could be, and her apartment to campus commuter...but likely also a rolling safe in the eye's of the parents who bought it.

We also have a rash of people with new '07/08 BMW X5's, X3's, etc., on top of some new '08 C-classes and such.

Just a fact of life, when you're on "that" side of the financial pond. One I'd very much like to visit some day:rolleyes:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 05:29 PM
How the hell does someone who is unemployed afford a $62,000 car?

I don't like that for a number of reasons:

Car is WAYYY to nice for a twenty year old college student. Cars get trashed while parked at college, and a brand new Benz is gonna attract more attention from drunken frat boys than anything else in the lot.

Mother buys daughter a $62,000 car for her first car. It's one thing to have a parent buy their kid a car (wow, way to earn it!) but a $62,000 Mercedes???? I mean, Christ! Have some limitations!

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 05:33 PM

I don't like that for a number of reasons:

Car is WAYYY to nice for a twenty year old college student. Cars get trashed while parked at college, and a brand new Benz is gonna attract more attention from drunken frat boys than anything else in the lot.

Mother buys daughter a $62,000 car for her first car. It's one thing to have a parent buy their kid a car (wow, way to earn it!) but a $62,000 Mercedes???? I mean, Christ! Have some limitations!

Well...they don't, the parents do. The only thing they have to do is run to the gas station every once in a while, and swipe the card--the bill of which also goes to the parents.

It's just a different atmosphere, on a different level, really. Just like the girl I know with the new '08 MB GL550...really, not even like she knew what it was or had to have it, but more that her parents thought an $85k SUV was fully normal for a daughter to have in college, and happily signed the check.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 05:40 PM
I really don't like that idea at all.

BigJon
03-08-08, 05:40 PM
ya me my self i would rather work for my car then someone hand me a 80,000 car

96Fleetwood
03-08-08, 05:45 PM
Is she the only daughter?

I bought a '86 Nissan Maxima as my first car.. cost $400 bucks. My brother drove the family business cargo van as his first car....

My sister (only girl), gets a brand new Nissan Altima SE when she turns 16. Sure it was only a $25,000 dollar car and does not compare to that Benz... but she got a new car. Why? Because she is Daddy's little girl and he had the means to buy it for her and worked hard for it.

It didn't affect her though, she graduated college at the top of her class, and is currently making $$ as the charge nurse of a Dialysis center. She still appreciates the value of the dollar.

Now this girl on the other hand will see her Mother has no job and cannot relate to how hard the money is earned to buy a car like that.

Sandy
03-08-08, 06:05 PM
In defense of my son's g'friend, she gets totally straight "A" s & is on a total scholarship. Her aim is to be a doctor. She will do it, I have no doubts. (She is also THE wrong person for my son - as In my humble opinion....she is not 1 person, BUT 3 ! (Me, Myself & I ~ if ya understand....).

The mom appears to have mucho $$$ - but seemingly, from......nowhere...
Clothes, diamonds, botox, fashions, trips, cruises, and her own Mercedes C-Class. There is no boyfriend nor hubby. Single parent. Before working as a nurse in a hospital, she did pedicures in a beauty shop. No, did not win the Lotto.

93DevilleUSMC
03-08-08, 06:34 PM
In defense of my son's g'friend, she gets totally straight "A" s & is on a total scholarship. Her aim is to be a doctor. She will do it, I have no doubts. (She is also THE wrong person for my son - as In my humble opinion....she is not 1 person, BUT 3 ! (Me, Myself & I ~ if ya understand....).

The mom appears to have mucho $$$ - but seemingly, from......nowhere...
Clothes, diamonds, botox, fashions, trips, cruises, and her own Mercedes C-Class. There is no boyfriend nor hubby. Single parent. Before working as a nurse in a hospital, she did pedicures in a beauty shop. No, did not win the Lotto.

In other words, no way in hell is this money coming in legally.

93DevilleUSMC
03-08-08, 06:36 PM
Did she pay all 80K on it, or make a down payment?

illumina
03-08-08, 07:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Fleiss

xshrpshtr
03-08-08, 07:26 PM
wanna know why there is a healthcare "crisis"? Poor decisions. Period. All these "poor" people in America who don't have healthcare for themselves or thier children...also have aircondtioning, several color TV's, cable, cell phone with a camera and a multitude of $$$ringtones, all the cigarettes they can smoke, kids, each of which have a different father, plenty of beer in the fridge, so many CD's they could cover the bedroom walls and of course a car they can't afford as well. Healthcare "crisis" indeed.

ted tcb
03-08-08, 07:54 PM
Sandy, if your son ends up staying with her, it could end up in a downward spiral of out of control debt.
I'm sure you know this all too well. Not much you can do, as our kids will make their own choices in life.
I just hope her reckless abandon and poor upbringing do not cloud your son's solid judgement.
A $5000 used Camry would've sufficed for a college kid ... generous, at that.
Over indulgent, guilt driven gifts are a form of child abuse, IMHO.
It will be a sad day when the Benz is repossesed.

Spyder
03-08-08, 08:00 PM
I've mentioned this before on here...my first car was a '63 Thunderbird. Brought home to me on a trailer. I was given a key to the garage, a key to the toolbox and a Chiltons. I was told if I could make it run, I could have it.

I was fourteen, and a month or so later, it was running, beautifully...

Maybe not the way to do it for everyone, but no one needs a benz for their first car, unless its one of those old diesel benzes...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 08:10 PM
My first car was the 1995 Roadmaster, with 138k on the clock, I spent $3250 of my hard earned cash to buy it. And I couldn't have felt more proud of it, or have been any happier at 17.

Ranger
03-08-08, 08:31 PM
Mom obviously has more money than you think. Where it is coming from is anyones guess.

My daughters did not get their first car till they graduated, and then paid for half of it (and they where not new).

hueterm
03-08-08, 08:46 PM
Mom obviously has more money than you think. Where it is coming from is anyones guess.

If they've really got the money and that's the world they live in, then I don't see the big deal -- BUT -- your son needs to get the whole story before it goes too far.

urbanski
03-08-08, 08:48 PM
buy her this book
http://www.amazon.com/Total-Money-Makeover-Financial-Fitness/dp/0785289089/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205023489&sr=8-1

your son has it pretty right...with the large down; however, he still did borrow money. at 24 he has a chance to change his life forever, and never be in debt again. now the mom/daughter, financing 62K, wow. they are forever stuck in debt payments. my 2 cents, is get HER head on straight before her lifestyle choices affect your son (who seems to have a better sense of money about him).

hueterm
03-08-08, 08:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't catch the laid off nurse/moderate apt. complex part...there is definitely something not on the up and up -- OR they have the WORST judgement in the world. Even if there was a rich ex husband who bought the car, there are PLENTY of $30K cars that would have filled the bill more than adequately. The other $30K could have been a down payment on a house.

Spyder
03-08-08, 09:08 PM
I want a down payment on a house... ... ...

Submariner409
03-08-08, 09:24 PM
Don't worry about the students, the car payments, or the health insurance. Hillary will save 'em all. She said so on TV.

Rolex
03-08-08, 10:12 PM
I've seen people living in absolute squalor and filth driving a $68,000 Escalade with $5k tires and wheels, and $5k stereo system, and no apparent source of ( reportable) income. What occurs to me first is that these people's priorities are mixed up and always will be. A sound, clean, and comfortable home should be a priority before a "blingy" vehicle. Some people only exist on credit, and will forever be overextended financially. That's no way to live life. JMHO.

Secondly, there is some nefarious means of paying for these vehicles. Draw your own conclusions about what that may be. Even 100% financed these vehicles are expensive. When you don't have a legitimate source of regular income, or pay taxes, why would you need a luxury vehicle? Hell public transportation exists for those people.....not Mercedes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 10:16 PM
We (at Southview Chevrolet) see our fair share of Escalades driven by people whom live in the roughest areas of St Paul and Minneapolis, with 6+ other people in their residence, yet they INSIST on owning an Escalade, because it's hip and it's cool. They can never afford to maintain or repair them, so they're useless to me lol.

Ranger
03-08-08, 10:25 PM
now the mom/daughter, financing 62K, wow.
While I would guess that you are correct, how it was paid for was never mentioned.

93DevilleUSMC
03-08-08, 10:36 PM
I've seen people living in absolute squalor and filth driving a $68,000 Escalade with $5k tires and wheels, and $5k stereo system, and no apparent source of ( reportable) income. What occurs to me first is that these people's priorities are mixed up and always will be. A sound, clean, and comfortable home should be a priority before a "blingy" vehicle. Some people only exist on credit, and will forever be overextended financially. That's no way to live life. JMHO.

Secondly, there is some nefarious means of paying for these vehicles. Draw your own conclusions about what that may be. Even 100% financed these vehicles are expensive. When you don't have a legitimate source of regular income, or pay taxes, why would you need a luxury vehicle? Hell public transportation exists for those people.....not Mercedes.

My buddy Josh works for Dominoes. He had a woman and her son drive up to the store in a 2006 BMW 5-series with 22-inch rims. The son got out, went into the store, and asked if they took food stamps! Josh says no, so the guy asks if he can get a discount for turning in a pizza coupon which he'd allready used!:hmm::thepan:

77CDV
03-08-08, 11:48 PM
One word: overcompensation. This does not bode well for the future of this relationship, unless your son is just dying to worship a princess.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-08, 03:43 AM
Because I love doing this so much, I'm gonna have to quote an old Elton John song real quick to expand upon what Craig said.

"And I would have walked head on into the deep end of the river
Clinging to your stocks and bonds
Paying your H.P. demands forever"

That's from "Someone Saved My Life Tonight". In that phrase, it is believed that Elton is writing about his fiance at the time and how she would buy expensive objects that he didn't believe they would be able to sustain down the road, which would require usage of the H.P packets to pay off the items. HP Packets is a form of payment where the lender takes payment directly from one's payroll, instead of having you cut them a check.

Oh, BTW, that song is about how his buddies (Long John Baldry (Sugarbear) and Bernie Taupin convinced him to end his engagement back in 1968 or 1969. His engagement (for whatever reason, maybe it was because it was with a woman??) caused him much stress and deliberation, almost driving him to the point of suicide. Hence the phrase "Someone saved my life tonight".

caddycruiser
03-09-08, 11:04 AM
We (at Southview Chevrolet) see our fair share of Escalades driven by people whom live in the roughest areas of St Paul and Minneapolis, with 6+ other people in their residence, yet they INSIST on owning an Escalade, because it's hip and it's cool. They can never afford to maintain or repair them, so they're useless to me lol.

There's another "syndrome"...I don't care if I live in the worst area possible and have a real shack of a home, but I MUST drive an Escalade. Often then, too, with some kind of a bogus insurance settlement, insanely long loan or lease, etc.

I also know this, such as a trailer not far from here, in a not great area, that got a new Denali XL a few years back. This is replacing a late 80's Cougar...and trust me, it's not because of any winfall...just people living above their means.

But still, different from this MB for a college kid...or should be. Some people just live on a different level, and this kind of thing is very much normal.

minnesotamom
03-09-08, 11:41 AM
So..even if the mom had somehow scraped up the money for this vehicle...can you imagine what the insurance rates would be for a 20 year old driving it?

How to ruin a human being: Step 1: Give them everything they want and never make them accountable for it

I wouldn't be happy if my kid were dating someone like that, because I've known young adults like that. Everything is about them and because they've never actually been given the opportunity to experience the pride and joy of working towards earning something, they never know contentment and contentment=happiness. Being able to know how to achieve your own happiness is an important life skill.

But, just a disclaimer, this girl could be completely different. I've sure seen it happen a lot, though.

It would be interesting to find out how she paid for it though. I would imagine that if you tried to get a loan for a really expensive vehicle like that, and you didn't even have a job..they would either A) laugh you out of the office or B) Smile really big as the handed you a loan agreement with 20% interest. So..my guess is she somehow paid cash for it.

Maybe she sold her house when she lost her job and moved into the apartment as a cost saving measure...so had money from that (that's kind of what I did after my divorce...moved down in order to stay within my means) Even so, it would be extremely foolish to throw away your money like that. People do have weird priorities. We have neighbors who live in a tiny little house (well-kept and very neat, mind you) but they have 2 expensive SUV's that together far exceed the value of their home. And they get brand new vehicles every couple of years. Neither one seems to have any steady employment either..they're both always home. Except for the guy...he'll hitch a trailer onto his SUV (the trailer has Mexican plates) and takes off for a week or so every now and then. I'm pretty sure he makes a living by sneaking illegal immigrants into the country.

It sure is annoying when people who don't work legitimately/legally seem to be doing better in life than I am..but then I figure there's that whole karma thing which will pay off eventually : )

type911
03-09-08, 11:45 AM
Nurse and unemployed just don't go together. Whats up with that?

hueterm
03-09-08, 11:46 AM
She probably got nixed for stealing the Vicodin that they sold to buy the M-B...

orconn
03-09-08, 03:35 PM
Although different car, different place, family (I quess) could afford it but same scenario .......I think it's known as the "Princess Syndrome." I don't know why parents do this, even though rationally, they must know it is not in the young persons best interest. Observation leads me to believe that this type of "spoiling" is the result of the parents insecurity about being loved by the child, or a need for a mother to relive her life through what she believes to be the life she wants for her daughter. It is only because credit is so easy to obtain that we see these scenarios played out over and over again. Unfortunately the insecurity that prompts this behavior in the parent will probably continue on to the next generation .......and on and on.

Sandy
03-09-08, 05:16 PM
I'm Back !
Boy, this really stirred up a nest! Okay, some facts. The Father is far far far away out of the USA, and there is & has been little-to-no contact with him. Yes, she is a very nice young lady, intelligent and all A(s) in college & I am sure will achieve her goal as a doctor. HOWEVER, my impression of her is that she is all about herself, and everyone she meets is there to serve her wants & needs. Her Father took off (bye bye) when she was age 4, 16 years ago.
I found out the car had a MSRLP of like $55,000 and her Mother leased it. I do not know what the lease payments are, but (to me) that's a waste of money, as you are paying for something that will never be yours.

I also can understand the folks spoken of in prior posts herein who live in pretty poor looking houses and drive expensive cars.
It's like this > They'll never have enough $$$$ to afford a really decent or nice house, but they can scape together enough for a nice car.
I cannot blame them. Everyone wants to have nice things. A $300,000 house ($475,000 HERE in New Jersey) is beyond thier reach forever, but.... they can get a new Cadillac, leased, or otherwise. Everyone deserves to have something nice. A nice car is easier to get than a luxury home.

I think our son (also very smart) is beginning to see her down side.
Perhaps the Mother feels she was part to blame for Daddy going bye bye....just gussing....I am "ON TO nothing...."

urbanski
03-09-08, 05:26 PM
nice things are fine. just pay cash for them. dont buy them until you do.
common sense....live on less than you make, save, buy late model used for cash....the money you save NOT paying fleeces/interest/fees/stupid tax is money you save to put 20% down on a home....you can have it all, done right. doing it right takes time and committment. rushing out to fleece a brand new benz or caddy irreplaceably siphons money away from your future. just say NO to stuff until you have the cash....then one day, following a plan, you have paid for cars and a house....facing retirement that way looks alot better no?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-08, 08:21 PM
Ideally, in my future, before I wed and have kids, I'd like a few "nice" cars and a small home/townhome with two bedrooms and a two car garage in a good neighborhood in a nice area of the cities. By nice cars, I mean two used/classic cars, both of which go for less than 10k. Ideally, I would keep my car and get a '70s era Lincoln Mark series, but with the way my mind works, who knows what I'll want in 3 years.

Chicano-Mexicano
03-09-08, 09:51 PM
My first car was a 1979 Eldorado that was the definition a Chicano hooptie with the multie colored body panels, fuzzy dice on the mirror (they are in my 93 no), footprint gas pedal, Mexican flag front vanity plate, and a Virgin De Guadeloupe bobble head on the dash all for the low low price of $420 and I though it was bad ass until it rolled on the freeway. So a college student getting a 60K benz to me is complete bullshit. :bomb:

gary88
03-09-08, 10:00 PM
jHySLKrc_uk

CadillacGurl
03-09-08, 10:21 PM
^Amen!!

LS1Mike
03-10-08, 12:00 AM
My first car was an 86 Renualt Alliance that was a former NY state car. I don't know if I would spend that much on any car.
However, if you can afford and want to have, knock yourself out.
I don't think I will ever purchase brand new car ever again.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 12:03 AM
My first car was an 86 Renualt Alliance that was a former NY state car.

Well that explains why you hate foreign cars so much.

Florian
03-10-08, 12:50 AM
ya me my self i would rather work for my car then someone hand me a 80,000 car

hand me the keys to a new Z06 and I could care less who pays for it.

F

Florian
03-10-08, 12:52 AM
My first car was an 86 Renualt Alliance that was a former NY state car. I don't know if I would spend that much on any car.
However, if you can afford and want to have, knock yourself out.
I don't think I will ever purchase brand new car ever again.

mine was a 69 Mustang. Engine had 160K miles on it...I blew the motor another 5K later...
POS body, but I loved that 351 Cleveland motor.....just sweet.

F

MauiV
03-10-08, 03:52 PM
If I was a 20 year old female Id be driving a new Bentley and living back on Maui mortgage free.

LS1Mike
03-10-08, 11:05 PM
Well that explains why you hate foreign cars so much.

Sorta, my Ex-Wifes 96 Accord really put the nail in the casket.
What a POS. I was so glad the day that thing left.

blue07cts
03-10-08, 11:52 PM
WOW i can't believe how irresponsible people are with money! sure i have a nice car but it will be paid OFF in 3 years.... and i have been depositing into a "house fund" for 3 years now (i'm only 20) but then again if it made the mom feel better and gave the girl something to drive, then just hope all works out for them.

ewill3rd
03-11-08, 09:22 AM
My first vehicle was a 1973 GMC truck that cost $150. I bought it to replace the truck my dad bought that I used to turn in front of a car that was doing about 50 mph.
I totalled that one and bought a '69 Camaro for $300... I could have gotten it for $250 but I wanted tail lights... which might tell you what kind of shape it was in.
I LOVED that car.
I banged up, scratched, and wore out almost every car I had before I was 25, except my Buick.

Buying a $60,000 car for a 20 year old is retarded, for so many reasons I can't even begin to name them.

Does this "nurse" know Spitzer? :lol:
(sorry... I had to say it)

RunningOnEMT
03-11-08, 09:31 AM

i see that all the time running EMS calls, you pull up to a house for a bullshit "flu guy" call, something they could have easily gone to the doctor for, but they had to call 911 because they can file hardship and not pay for the ambulance, or the hospital.

So here's how this usually goes....

Roll up to the shitty run down house or apartment complex, driveway with a 2008 Escalade on 24's and a mercedes S class with 22's, walk inside the floor creaks, they house smells like urine, animal and human. The walls are moldy but just sturdy enough to hold up their brand new 60" plasms screen TV, and then when you ask the mom why they didnt give the kid tylenol for its fever you get the "i can'ts affords that"

DOH!~!!!!!!!

minnesotamom
03-11-08, 11:12 AM
The problem with a lot of people who are poor...is that often they are poor because they are not very bright. I'm generalizing, I know..but don't blast me. I can say that because I'm actually pretty darn close to fitting into that demographic...the poor part any way..I like to think I'm fairly bright. And to be fair..there are plenty of dumb people who are doing well in life...usually they're in management. When people are not too bright, it's very easy for them to be led astray by slick salespeople and lawyers and creditors.
I got a credit card offer the other day..I usually just tear those up, but this one I looked over. It was for a card with a $500 limit at 18% interest. $59 initiation fee...$59 yearly fee..plus a monthly maintenance fee. Turns out that after you take out all the fees...the person would end up with like $80 in credit. So a person would get this card, not being too bright, they didn't read over the fine print...go out and charge a $500 tv or something. They get their first bill..and they are already over their credit limit...so they now owe $500 plus another $49 in fees. Plus if they don't make their payment on time, the credit card company raises their interest rate. So now they really can't afford to pay the bill...but no worry the credit card company offers them another low-limit credit card at high interest rates and the cycle continues.
I see this a lot with insurance claims. You're in an accident. A slick lawyer convinces you that you are OWED all this money. You deserve it. You're injured. So injured that you probably can't work any more..so you should quit your job and collect benefits from your insurance company. But, don't worry...he's suing the other party for $50,000 for bodily injury. They don't tell them that it will probably be years before he settles...and then when he does, it will probably be for more like $15,000..at least a third of which he'll keep. So...3 years later it settles..they get their check for $10,000..run out and spend it on something frivolous because they've never had that much money before..and they're excited...and they're not too bright. And then a few months later they get the letter from their insurance company..their benefits have been exhausted. No more free money coming in...no job...only thing left to do is get into another accident.
I could go on and on..but I won't (no thanks needed)..just my 2 cents worth...

xshrpshtr
03-11-08, 02:42 PM
no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public.

urbanski
03-11-08, 03:11 PM
no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public.

i dunno, ask some subprime lenders how well they're doing....after all, they lent millions to people who couldnt afford a house and were in denial about it, and who stupidly signed on the line for "pick a payment" and "interest only" crap

i think they underestimated how stupid these people really were...why loan if you never expect to be paid back?

minnesotamom
03-11-08, 03:51 PM
I guess maybe in addition to never underestimating the stupidity of the American public..you should add..or the greed. What happened there was a toxic mix of both.

77CDV
03-12-08, 04:41 PM
And to be fair..there are plenty of dumb people who are doing well in life...usually they're in management.

Or politics. After all, they don't call it representative democracy for nothing.:rolleyes:

minnesotamom
03-12-08, 04:47 PM
Or politics. After all, they don't call it representative democracy for nothing.:rolleyes:

Oh....excellent point! Thanks for catching that oversight:bouncy:

lbwd
03-12-08, 05:24 PM

Long story short, mom has a loan and is making payments. Car gets impounded in four months.

No problem.

Sandy
03-12-08, 05:29 PM
Go back to my last post. The car (I just found out) is leased, so the young driver will be getting a new 2011 M-B.

minnesotamom
03-12-08, 05:48 PM
Go back to my last post. The car (I just found out) is leased, so the young driver will be getting a new 2011 M-B.

My boyfriend has a good friend who leases one..it's over $800 a month. It sure would be interesting to find out how they're planning on paying for it. and how they managed to get a lease in the first place.

Sandy, I think you need to do some more digging for our sakes:)

lbwd
03-12-08, 05:55 PM
It sure would be interesting to find out how they're planning on paying for it.

I thought I saw (correct me if I'm wrong) the words "They live in a moderate apartment complex." In this case, there shouldn't be too much rent due, although this little investment probably dug into someone's future (retirement-wise).

urbanski
03-12-08, 07:33 PM
I thought I saw (correct me if I'm wrong) the words "They live in a moderate apartment complex." In this case, there shouldn't be too much rent due, although this little investment probably dug into someone's future (retirement-wise).

exactly
imaging buying the college kid the $2000 car they deserve with cash, then putting the $800/mo fleece payment into a mutual fund for the next 40 years.

40yrs x 800/mo @ 8%= $2.6MILLION

hope she likes that benz

Jon
03-12-08, 08:01 PM
Grandparents?

I have a buddy who got straight As his whole life. Spent his whole life in an all guy's private school getting 99% average. Always top of his class. Graduated with a 98% average and is now in university. Grandparents gave his parents cash to buy him a new car. It was a loaded Mazda3. It's not a Benz, but you get the idea.

Or maybe her mom just doesn't disclose where she gets her income from. Most of my friends from school don't know where I get my money from. I own 2 companies while going to school full-time, but not many people at school know that.

Chicano-Mexicano
03-12-08, 08:07 PM
Sorta, my Ex-Wifes 96 Accord really put the nail in the casket.
What a POS. I was so glad the day that thing left.

The Wife or the Accord. :D

NOT ON MY WATCH
03-12-08, 08:15 PM
The Wife or the Accord. :D

:histeric:

MauiV
03-12-08, 10:13 PM
Apparently there are young ladies out there making $5500 an HOUR.

Thats the job I would have as a 20 year old female and my Benz payment would be of little concern.

EVERYONE has a price and Im certain that $5500 an hour would cover mine.

lbwd
03-12-08, 10:25 PM
Apparently there are young ladies out there making $5500 an HOUR.

Doing what? :eek: Strippers don't typically make that, do they? :rofl:

orconn
03-12-08, 11:54 PM
Gee! And I thought all those Towncars were carrying lawyers and politicians and now we find out the oldest profession still pays the best!

77CDV
03-13-08, 12:17 AM
The best part is that "nature's credit card" has no limit! There is, however, a strict expiration date. See your genetics for details.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-08, 12:55 AM
The best part is that "nature's credit card" has no limit!

Especially for Peter North.

MauiV
03-13-08, 01:17 AM
Doing what? :eek: Strippers don't typically make that, do they? :rofl:

Do you not get the news in your locale?

Google The Emperors Club escorts.

Ive had more than my fair share and I have NEVER even heard about one that was worth $5500 an hour. At that rate it better spit out gold nuggets that I get to keep when Im gone.

xshrpshtr
03-13-08, 01:30 AM
Even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't pay $5500 an hour with a gun to my head.

lbwd
03-13-08, 12:33 PM
Do you not get the news in your locale?

Google The Emperors Club escorts.

Ive had more than my fair share and I have NEVER even heard about one that was worth $5500 an hour. At that rate it better spit out gold nuggets that I get to keep when Im gone.

I know, but Spitzers escort only got $1,000 an hour according the FOX News. Another $4,500... yea right. The pimp gets the rest for his 24" rims.

MauiV
03-13-08, 03:01 PM
An email from another girl was found that complained they were only getting 50% of the cut plus another $1500 for something else. She said she could make that on a modeling shoot per hour nad she was looking to make MORE money. That is still clearing $4200 for an hours work.

A 7 star girl (the highest) are rated at $5500 an hour. The pics of Spritzers girl (a 5 or 6 star) were nice but not spectacular. You can find women as hot as her in damn near any mall or nightclub in America.

xshrpshtr
03-13-08, 04:56 PM
...and they will rally you for a hell of a lot longer than an hour too. Whether they are married or not.

I think he felt this way was discreet. This is what he was after. He is too public a figure to be trolling clubs for hoes. He could easily find the hoes online too. But it would've taken a lot of his time up chasing them down. For his purposes the prostitute was the best way to go...if in fact you NEED to be a dirtbag to your family.

A 7 star girl (the highest) are rated at $5500 an hour. The pics of Spritzers girl (a 5 or 6 star) were nice but not spectacular. You can find women as hot as her in damn near any mall or nightclub in America.

NOT ON MY WATCH
03-13-08, 05:37 PM
For his purposes the prostitute was the best way to go...if in fact you NEED to be a dirtbag to your family.

People like him are about as selfish as you can get. Even if he wouldn't have been caught, betraying the trust of a loved one has an incredibly corrosive effect on the relationship - whether he is conscious of that or not.

Why have a relationship with someone if you are going to deceive them on this level and to this degree? People who have these urges need to seriously re-evaluate their lives and decide to either keep it in their pants or end the relationship and move on.

If people cheat, the other person (spouse) is having a relationship with someone who does not really exist - it's all a lie.

Also, his children will never see him the same way again - nice going, dad.

Sandy
03-13-08, 06:11 PM
He has no morals, no respect for his wife, his children, or even himself. He's a big moral-less wind bag, and his Mommy & Daddy are worth around a half a billion dollars. He is educated, schooled, and all that jazz, but down deep, he is dressed up in the emporer's clothes, but inside still remains a lying, cheating, using dirt bag!

xshrpshtr
03-13-08, 06:43 PM
he and the dirtbag from Detriot are the same kind of loser. I can't believe that hosehead could blame the media for his woes with a straight face. My God you idiot! YOU are why your family is embarrased and ashamed, you thoughtless ass! him/Spitzer and Willy reacted the exact same way. DISGUSTING indignant cowardice. Can't get lower.

hueterm
03-13-08, 07:16 PM
I'm surprised she didn't charge more, since she might as well have been screwing Gollum from LOTR... (They were SO separated at birth!)

Destroyer
03-13-08, 11:35 PM
I plan on buying my kids nice cars when they finish college. Not only nice cars but NEW nice cars just like your sons girlfriends mother did. Cars that I would never buy for myself but oddly would for my kids. Weird!. If you dont do it for the kids who are you gonna do it for?. Life is short and of all the things and assets I've attained over the last 10 years, nothing compares to the kids. :eek::thumbsup:

Sandy
03-14-08, 05:41 PM
When I graduated from College, my dad let me pick out a new car, and order it as I wanted, and he paid for it. I had no siblings, so it was just me. I picked a GTO Convertible, Bright Red, White vinyl Interior & White roof. SOME, not alot, of options. It was $ 3,300 dollars ! It was 1966.

I still remember how happy I was, and how much it meant to me.

I still miss him, and it's been 21 years. He was always good, respectfull and kind towards me and I was always a very good kid and a great son.

My Mother was stricter with me, but still - I was never ever hit. I lost privledges, but was never hit.

ewill3rd
03-15-08, 10:38 AM
My wife started in a 3 on the tree '74 Nova, remember she was born with one hand? Manual steering to boot.
Her next vehicle was an '81 Chevy Silverado, worst truck I ever worked on. Some hack put a holley carb on it and ran every vacuum line to the wrong place. I fixed all that then found out the camshaft was missing a few lobes, fixed that, still ran bad but she LOVED that truck.
She got straight A's in high school, went to college for 5 years.. nothing but an A. Her dad bought her a '98 Ram pickup that she and I ordered for a graduation present. She went to college for 6 more years, nothing but an A.
The truck is in pristene condition, it is 10 years old now and looks about 2 years old. A few minor scrapes here and there.
The difference I think is that she earned that truck, 11 years of college and her dad didn't have to pay a dime for it, she did it all on Scholarships and fellowships... and I mean ALL of it. She has a Bachelor's degree, 2 Masters, and a PhD. makes twice the money I do and loves her job.
Not sure what the moral of this story is, :lol: I just like bragging on my wife!
(although I wish she hadn't bought a Dodge!)

Oh, she got rear ended 4 or 5 times in the truck but all it did was mess up the bumper, which I replaced twice now.
I think the brake lights are too hard to see or something on that truck.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-08, 11:57 AM
11 years of college??? What major corporation does she run? :p

ewill3rd
03-15-08, 12:23 PM
Let's just say, she does "math". :lol:

"G$"
03-15-08, 12:46 PM
It seems insane, but VERY common especially at my college. Granted, being 98% white, middle to very upper class Catholic, etc. kids, from Jersey, New York, PA, etc., it isn't a shock...but it is what it is.

We stereotypically live up to that image of kids driving BMW 3-series, as I know many who do and there's always another daily. Of course, most of which are parent paid for, but there's a few who have put their own money out. There are also many who have paid for their own cars--a variety of still mostly new, but cheaper, vehicles--too, so it balances out.

One that shocked me recently? A fellow senior, and a girl, showed up after Christmas break with a new '08 Mercedes GL550...not even a smaller MB, but the biggest SUV they make, with the biggest engine offered, etc. all for a bargain of $85k. Every day, it's as filthy as could be, and her apartment to campus commuter...but likely also a rolling safe in the eye's of the parents who bought it.

We also have a rash of people with new '07/08 BMW X5's, X3's, etc., on top of some new '08 C-classes and such.

Just a fact of life, when you're on "that" side of the financial pond. One I'd very much like to visit some day:rolleyes:

Exact same thing i experienced in college but back then they had toyota supras, escalades, audi s4's, bmw m3 & m5's, & cobra's. It was insane to a kid who had an `88 model GM car but it is what it is. everyone will eventually get what they deserve if they work hard enough.

lbwd
03-15-08, 01:10 PM
everyone will eventually get what they deserve if they work hard enough.

What they deserve or what they want? ;)