: Well, we might be buying another import.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-07-08, 08:56 PM
My grandpa's '07 Camry XLE V6. :hide:

For the last year or so, my dad has been considering buying a new family sedan to replace his '97 Lumina with. He bought that car ten years ago and it's provided useful transportation for all of that time, but he wants something new now. He was looking at the Altima, Accord, Malibu, Impala and Camry. The Camry, for whatever reason (don't ask me!!) grabbed his attention the most, and that's the one in the end he likes the most.

His dad bought a brand new fully loaded model last year, it's a dark grey with light grey leather interior, and I believe it's got everything (Keyless ignition, heated seats) in it, aside from navigation.
Anyways, the car's only got maybe 5,000 miles on it, and my grandpa is selling it because he doesn't trust his eyesight anymore (he is 86) so he knew that my dad was looking for a new car, and he always liked the new Camrys, so he offered it to him first.

So we went out to the local Toyota dealer today and test drove one just like it.....

Overall, the car does a good job on many aspects, but fails to exceed in really anything. It's nice, but very bland. Even the power provided by the 268hp 3.5L DOHC VVTi V6 fails to light any spark in my automotive fireplace. I don't hate it and I don't like it....it's just there. But I must admit, the dang thing is pretty quick. Somewhere between my Benz and my Buick as far as power and acceleration go. It's plenty quick, but lacks the massive torque that I love so much. The six speed auto is always shifting gears, to keep you in the sweet spot of the powerband, and my dad says that it shows the most power around town, when you're darting out of intersections and in and out of traffic, but a WOT from 70 mph ain't bad either. Somewhat better than my Benz, but certainly no Northstar!

The car retails for about $29,500 new, and the KBB value on my grandpa's is like $23,400. So we'll see what we can do and if all goes well, my dad will fly down and drive back.

We're just awaiting financing details. Then we'll know. If he buys this, our entire driveway will be filled with Imports. The Benz, mom's '05 Highlander, the Camry and my brother's '96 Sentra.
Well, atleast I'm not driving Japanese. :histeric: :bigroll:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 12:43 PM
No replies after 14 hours. You guys either gotta be extremely mad or extremely disappointed. LOL!

gary88
03-08-08, 01:24 PM
All this coming from someone with a Cadillac destroying a Toyota in their signature :thepan:

93DevilleUSMC
03-08-08, 02:23 PM
Bro, you've gotta make the jump to that LT1 Brougham you were talking about!

Jesda
03-08-08, 02:42 PM
Your family sucks. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 02:53 PM
George Michael only buys Toyotas. Think of THAT next time you listen to Careless Whisper! :p

Jesda
03-08-08, 02:59 PM
George Michael likes his cars British :)

Q: What kind of car does he drive?

A: He was driving a Range Rover, however he purchaseda Jaguar convertible last summer. Recently, he had a fender bender withhis Jag, but escaped unharmed.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/1915/gmfaq.html#10

Also:
On May 15, 2006, Michael was found slumped over the wheel of his Range Rover, photographed apparently snoozing at traffic lights in London. He awoke after a member of the public knocked on his window for five minutes, and was "sweating heavily and had his iPod on". He drove off weaving up the road, and then hit a traffic bollard. Later the same month, he was questioned by police after shunting three cars in the street in which he lives.[21]
In the early hours of October 1, 2006, Michael was found unconscious in his Mercedes-Benz S-Class car, causing an obstruction at the junction of Cricklewood Lane with Hendon Way, in northwest London. Police found Michael slumped in his seat in a semi-conscious state. He was taken to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead for checks, and was then booked in at Colindale police station. He was later cautioned by the police for possession of cannabis, and was released on bail pending further inquiries on his fitness to drive.[22][23] He pleaded guilty on May 8, 2007 to driving while unfit through drugs.[24] He was banned from driving for two years, and sentenced to community service again. In September 2007, on Desert Island Discs, he said that his cannabis use was a problem — he wished he could smoke less of it and was constantly trying to do so.[25]
Michael's long term partner Kenny Goss has also been treated for dependence on prescription sleeping medication, checking into an Arizona-based clinic for two months in June 2004 after encouragement from Michael.[26]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Michael

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 03:05 PM
George Michael likes his boys British too.

BigJon
03-08-08, 04:13 PM
.... wow that is all i have to say... need more lacs in the drive way

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 04:18 PM
No shit, except for that everyone in my family DESPISES Cadillacs. HATES them.

Yeah, my family sucks. :)

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 04:19 PM
Not a bad car at all, just terminably boring. The V6 is VERY quick, and as many magazines have said, has acceleration times and such on par with what would have been a muscle car decades ago.

That said, I've driven some and now our Malibu and others, and the Camry is just the squishiest of all and actually has had some random build quality issues in the latest iteration--namely loose parts, rattles, and crooked panels.

But still, a Camry is a Camry, and even if it's boring as could be, they're a terrific "daily luxury" car for soothing and reliable comfort--that's really stepped up a notch with the XLE goodies and that little beast of a V6.

I'd never buy one over something like a current Malibu (hence...one of those in the driveway, and likely another before long), but have no real hard feelings against them, and it will be a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE improvement over a 10+ year old Lumina.

Hope it works out well. Import or what have you, not a bad thing...just as long as you all have cars you like and fit the checkbook:thumbsup:

Jesda
03-08-08, 04:26 PM
My family has bad luck with Toyota products, except that LS400 that Ian and I drove. That was truly an amazing car.

Dad's Camry, aunt's ES, and family friend's Camry all croaked. Dad's Camry was worst of all, barfing a tranny at 99k. LAME. And the interior was coming apart.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 04:33 PM
The family I have won't have a Toyota in the driveway, aside from perhaps a 98-00 LS400.

96Fleetwood
03-08-08, 04:49 PM
For the price of that Camry he could have bought a nice ES330. Camrys are so plain....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 04:54 PM
The only reason he's going with the Camry is because his dad has given up driving, and he's getting it for a great deal, plus he likes them a lot. Otherwise, he might go with the Malibu or Accord. He's dead set on a family sedan though....that's all he needs and he'll only buy what he needs. Him and I are opposite when it comes to car buying. He goes for the most sensible, logical choices and keeps them for a very long time. I buy what I want and change it up relatively often.

He thought about a late model LS400 or LS430, but he's scared of the maintenance/insurance costs, so he's given up on them.

Chicano-Mexicano
03-08-08, 04:58 PM
No shit, except for that everyone in my family DESPISES Cadillacs. HATES them.

Porque?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 05:04 PM
In english please.

Chicano-Mexicano
03-08-08, 05:06 PM
In english please.

OK white boy :D.
Why?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 06:47 PM
Mom hates them because to her they're old mans car or black man's cars, my brother hates them because they're big and not a tuner car :bigroll: and my dad doesn't like luxury cars in general, and he especially doesn't trust modern day Cadillacs. The only luxury car he'd buy would be a Lexus.

ted tcb
03-08-08, 07:01 PM
I suspect the Lexus LS400/430 in your driveway will be owned by you, Chad, this time next year. Just a hunch.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 07:08 PM
If I did that, it would be the 400.

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 09:05 PM
The only reason he's going with the Camry is because his dad has given up driving, and he's getting it for a great deal, plus he likes them a lot. Otherwise, he might go with the Malibu or Accord. He's dead set on a family sedan though....that's all he needs and he'll only buy what he needs. Him and I are opposite when it comes to car buying. He goes for the most sensible, logical choices and keeps them for a very long time. I buy what I want and change it up relatively often.

He thought about a late model LS400 or LS430, but he's scared of the maintenance/insurance costs, so he's given up on them.

It's a perfect car for that, and especially so because it will be coming from a family member.

The biggest benefit it is isn't the typical hubcapped, beige LE...but a loaded up V6 XLE. Still a drab, boring car, with less than impressive overall quality, but great for years of soft, silent, and reliable cruising--and the occasional race with the very powerful V6.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 09:20 PM
It might beat a Northstar. :shhh: :stirpot:

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 09:25 PM
It might beat a Northstar. :shhh: :stirpot:

Oh, for sure. Lighter car, and just a lot of power on tap--essentially at similar levels, when stock. Same with a lot of this class of cars in their V6 iterations (such as the Malibu 3.6L), and further reason I kept mom to the 4-cyl with hers.

Just a sample, with a SE V6 (says 5.7 seconds...and that's low, but very realistic in an ideal situation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkzg_NK7WM

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 09:30 PM
Jesus that's quick. I told my dad that if I had bought that GTP he wanted me to buy, the Camry would still be quicker.

gdwriter
03-08-08, 09:34 PM
Considering your dad is only looking for sensible (i.e., boring) transportation and your grandfather is making him a sweet deal on a practically brand new car, it's a smart choice. At least gramps bought a loaded Camry. Still boring, but nicer than the plane-Jane version.

You really need to get some $$ to put an LT-1 Fleetwood or Mark IV in the driveway to rescue your family's reputation with the neighbors. :histeric:

gary88
03-08-08, 09:34 PM
That engine sounds like ass

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 09:44 PM
You really need to get some $$ to put an LT-1 Fleetwood or Mark IV in the driveway to rescue your family's reputation with the neighbors. :histeric:

.....and to layer the street with burnt rubber...... God I miss the torque of the big pushrod V-8. Brian's Brougham really hit that home with me.

Considering the neighborhood I live in, all of the imports in our driveway are making our family look better to the others, cuz that's what we're surrounded by....late model midsized imports and late model midrange American cars... Nobody has anything older than like 1993 in our neighborhood, and there aren't many big american cars here...

93DevilleUSMC
03-08-08, 09:49 PM
Mom hates them because to her they're old mans car or black man's cars, my brother hates them because they're big and not a tuner car :bigroll: and my dad doesn't like luxury cars in general, and he especially doesn't trust modern day Cadillacs. The only luxury car he'd buy would be a Lexus.

Lol your Dad would so hate me, man.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 09:55 PM
No, he'd be cool with you, you're a Marine.

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 10:08 PM
.....and to layer the street with burnt rubber...... God I miss the torque of the big pushrod V-8. Brian's Brougham really hit that home with me.

Considering the neighborhood I live in, all of the imports in our driveway are making our family look better to the others, cuz that's what we're surrounded by....late model midsized imports and late model midrange American cars... Nobody has anything older than like 1993 in our neighborhood, and there aren't many big american cars here...

Drawing from another thread I'm in now (ahem...), I get this. It's always been a weird sense of pride or being different with our gaggle of V8, RWD out there...well, at least until mom and I broke that with her new Malibu.

Still, goes back to what I said. You get what you really like or what fits your wants/needs/budget...regardless of brand, model, etc. Having so much pride and love for Cadillac, GM, etc., it can seem odd to have a Toyota and Mercedes driveway...but that says something in and of itself.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 10:18 PM
To quote Bob Dylan, "The times, they are a-changing." :)

orconn
03-08-08, 10:26 PM
Don't you young guys have anything better to do on a Saturday night than sit in front of a computer and discuss the merits of one old guys decision to buy his father's gussied up transportation car!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 10:28 PM
Going out in a minute to go see a movie with a friend.

So yes, I do.

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 11:17 PM
Don't you young guys have anything better to do on a Saturday night than sit in front of a computer and discuss the merits of one old guys decision to buy his father's gussied up transportation car!

Hah! Yes...just like Chad, I'm a late outter, and poke around here and elsewhere in the interim.

ryannel2003
03-09-08, 10:59 PM
Being a Camry owner myself, the '07 Camry is a good choice for somebody who needs basic transportation with a few luxuries added. The new V6 models are extremely quick, and I do like the body style. Annoying build quality issues aside, they are extremely reliable as well. My 2000 LE hasn't had any issues, aside from a broken sunroof.

But, they are extremely boring to drive. I love mine too much to give it up right now, but it's a complete snore. Mine is pretty fully loaded, but working around expensive $60k vehicles really just makes me look down on my Toyota some time. However, seeing those vehicles in the shop regularly really doesn't look down on it too much. If I don't get a Cadillac within the next 2 years, my next car will be another Toyota.

Also, for any kind of issues that comes up or more information about them, check out http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/index.php. The biggest problem with V6 models is transmission flare, which is discussed in length on the forum.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-08, 11:07 PM
If he buys the car, I'll have to show him that site. Also, if he buys it, I'll have to grab the keys sometime and run it against a Northstar..........

93DevilleUSMC
03-11-08, 04:37 AM
No, he'd be cool with you, you're a Marine.

Lol who drives a Caddy. Ah well, it'd make for some interesting debates.

JimmyH
03-11-08, 09:46 PM
Camry's are uber-kewl

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-08, 09:47 PM
If you're a middle aged software engineer.

JimmyH
03-11-08, 09:49 PM
hey, how did you know?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-20-08, 10:46 PM
So I thought I should update you guys on the progress of OUR Camry.

We bought it.

Dad's in Tucson AZ right now, at his dad's place, buying the car and staying the week to visit. Funny story though, they were gonna go pick up my dad at the airport, but they were about three hours late....because the battery died! The car's only got about 3,000 miles...maybe 4,000 on it so far, but already it's got a dead battery. :nono:

I guess to be fair, the car doesn't get driven much, so that kinda explains that, but it could have been a better start (no that pun wasn't intended).

ryannel2003
10-20-08, 10:56 PM
Good luck with the car... just watch out for the transmission. Major problems on the '07's. Toyota dealer should know what to do.

Aron9000
10-22-08, 01:29 AM
My mom has a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 155k on it. I absolutely hate driving that car, but man its an awesome car to be driven in. Very comfortable, very quiet, huge backseat(its on par with my 91 Brougham), huge trunk, no rattles, gets 23-29mpg. Its held up well for its age.

Its so damn boring to drive though. Handles OKAY, torque steers if you floor it, steering is very light, completely torque-less and slow. Its got that VVT system in it, if you want to move at any sort of decent pace, you got to wring it out past 4500rpms and get on the good cam, so to speak.

96Fleetwood
10-22-08, 05:21 PM
My parents bought a fully loaded '09 Camry SE 3 weeks ago. It is their beater/grocery getter... They have highline $100K plus cars in the garage, and they actually really enjoy the Camry. I was shocked when my Father told me this!! He is someone who has owned exotics and used to race SCCA and AutoX regularly.. he actually really enjoys driving the dern thing. He said it is super quiet, comfortable, and looks good (the SE has the ground effects, spoilers, fogs, 18s, etc). I will have to drive it when I visit for Thanksgiving and see what all this Camry nonsense is about. So far his only complaint is the unresponsive steering... then again what did he expect :bigroll:

slk230mb
10-22-08, 08:48 PM
My mom has a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 155k on it. I absolutely hate driving that car, but man its an awesome car to be driven in. Very comfortable, very quiet, huge backseat(its on par with my 91 Brougham), huge trunk, no rattles, gets 23-29mpg. Its held up well for its age.

Its so damn boring to drive though. Handles OKAY, torque steers if you floor it, steering is very light, completely torque-less and slow. Its got that VVT system in it, if you want to move at any sort of decent pace, you got to wring it out past 4500rpms and get on the good cam, so to speak.

Same here, except my moms has 45k on it.

ryannel2003
10-22-08, 10:39 PM
I drove an '07 LE 4 cylinder and came away extremely unimpressed. I found it a worse driving car than my '00 LE was, and not nearly as comfortable. The new throttle by wire design was unresponsive and annoying.

However, I've heard the V6's are beats. They must be, they're faster to 60 than my Seville. :hide:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-08, 12:35 PM
Well I drove it last night. I don't remember much about it that was breathtaking, aside from the speed. That fvcker is FAST! The power was so linear, and so smooth and readily accessible. It's got 268hp, and it weighs in around 3500 lbs...and it's got a close ratio six speed automatic transmission, so even when shifting (which only takes a few milliseconds) the power never drops off and it never pauses in the acceleration. It's quicker than the Grand Prix GTP or Regal GS I almost bought, faster than any FWD Northstar Cadillac, and the LT1 Roadmaster I had. I found a few different magazine articles regarding the V6 Camrys and the acceleration times are astounding for a family sedan:

Here's one from Car and Driver, comparing the Camry SE V6 to the Impreza WRX:
http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_guide/toyota/camry/2008_toyota_camry/toyota_camry_v_6_vs_subaru_wrx_feature+type-reviews_by_make+mode-collection+id-247.html

Here's a four way comparison between the V6 Camry, V6 Accord, V6 Malibu and V6 Altima, courtesy of Motor Trend.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_midsize_sedan_comparison/toyota_camry.html

I like how fast the car is, but it's still dull and utterly devoid of any soul.