Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  guidematic 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Weren't they all hard tops??

Check front fillers--color does not match. What about rear fillers??

Re price:

air needs work; could run many hundreds.
bumper fillers?? Primer, paint, materials, labor. Each part is about $175 plus materials and labor.
unexpected repairs: $1500 wholesale. (belts, hoses, filters, tranny fluid, wipers, shocks, mufflers, etc.
tires?
4100 engine possible repairs (camshaft and or piston slap)

Add these items up. How much do you want to have in this beauty 12 months down the road?

Nice car, but you need to ask yourself if this car is practical.

One last item. Do you know the nickname for that color?

a. little old lady blue.
b. loser blue.
c. no-sell blue.

I must sadlly admit that that color is growing on me, but then I am 64.

#10 ·
Weren't they all hard tops??

Check front fillers--color does not match. What about rear fillers??

Re price:

air needs work; could run many hundreds.
bumper fillers?? Primer, paint, materials, labor. Each part is about $175 plus materials and labor.
unexpected repairs: $1500 wholesale. (belts, hoses, filters, tranny fluid, wipers, shocks, mufflers, etc.
tires?
4100 engine possible repairs (camshaft and or piston slap)

Add these items up. How much do you want to have in this beauty 12 months down the road?

Nice car, but you need to ask yourself if this car is practical.

One last item. Do you know the nickname for that color?

a. little old lady blue.
b. loser blue.
c. no-sell blue.

I must sadlly admit that that color is growing on me, but then I am 64.

I'm an older guy too,I dont consider a car with a solid post between front window and back window a hardtop,I dont know how this crept into acceptance. I would call them a 2 door post.
Nice car except for the 4.1.

#7 ·
Depends on the buyer really... I know i wouldnt, as its not a fleetwood. The bare top isnt much of a desire for me, though i wouldnt reject a car for it, i like it also.

My buddy Ryan just sold his Coupe Deville, had 51k orignal miles. New pads, rotors, drums, shoes, hardware kit, exhaust front to back, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, tires, and the AC was converted to the 134 and was ICE cold. Everything worked in the car. It really didnt need anything but a rear bumper if desired. This car here, but i since gave him the Original wire wheels to put on...
He sold it for $3000 to the first person who looked at it.

Was a very CLEAN car... little old lady owned it.

#17 ·
Depends on the buyer really... I know i wouldnt, as its not a fleetwood. The bare top isnt much of a desire for me, though i wouldnt reject a car for it, i like it also.

My buddy Ryan just sold his Coupe Deville, had 51k orignal miles. New pads, rotors, drums, shoes, hardware kit, exhaust front to back, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, tires, and the AC was converted to the 134 and was ICE cold. Everything worked in the car. It really didnt need anything but a rear bumper if desired. This car here, but i since gave him the Original wire wheels to put on...
He sold it for $3000 to the first person who looked at it.

Was a very CLEAN car... little old lady owned it.
what year is that? an 84'?

#11 ·
The term hard top originated in the late 1940s (1949?) as: hard top convertible. It may have been with the first Coupe DeVille models, which simulated the look of a convertible with top "up". This was achieved by designing the car without door posts/pillars, which all sedans had at the time. As time went on, "hard top convertible" was eventually referred to as "hard top". Also, "hard top convertible" was not the same as "retractable hard top", like some of the Ford Skyliners had. Much confused now?

#12 ·
They call it the hardtop or bare top because of the deleted vinyl top. They are hard to come by.
But I dont think a "bare top" would bring any more or less money to a cadillac fan. Maby to the lowrider community, like you are asking. It may be rare, but not a rare thing people will spend 1000 more dollars on to have.

Ryans wasnt a bare top.

#13 ·
They call it the hardtop or bare top because of the deleted vinyl top. They are hard to come by.
But I dont think a "bare top" would bring any more or less money to a cadillac fan. Maby to the lowrider community, like you are asking. It may be rare, but not a rare thing people will spend 1000 more dollars on to have.

Ryans wasnt a bare top.
Hard top and bare top are not the same thing.

#14 ·
Creeker's right for sure. These cars are 2 door posts, not hardtops. I think the term bald or bare roof would be more accurate, although I understand why someone would say 'hardtop' since the vinyl top gives the illusion of the top being soft... the opposite of hard. :bigroll:

I think these cars look better with a vinyl top of some sort, except maybe in white. The c-pillar does not smoothly meet the body, and seems to have been designed with a vinyl top in mind. It would be kinda neat to have one since they're not as common, I suppose... I just think there's a reason why they're a little more rare.

#16 ·
I think these cars look better with a vinyl top of some sort, except maybe in white. The c-pillar does not smoothly meet the body, and seems to have been designed with a vinyl top in mind. It would be kinda neat to have one since they're not as common, I suppose... I just think there's a reason why they're a little more rare.
I completely agree. Baretops from 80s are not as appealing to me as the vinyl-topped ones. However, imo the 77-79 Deville looks best in bare top, because the c-pillar slops much nicer (for a bare top) and you have an ENORMOUS rear windshield which is pretty cool. I've only seen coupes like that, but I think a bare 77-79 sedans (if there were any) would look just as cool. :cool2:

Greg

#20 ·
I like these models with the vinyl top. Without, though, is one less extra thing to worry about. You know, no fading, fraying, or ripping. And no hidden rust.

If I were marketing this one, I'd list it for $3,500 and take anything over $2,000. If it doesn't sell in three weeks, I'd consider lowering the price each week until it sells. Again, the 4100 kills it for me. But someone will buy it - there's an ass for every seat. That's the best realistic advice I can give for maximizing your sales price and finding a buyer.

#24 ·
I know there is one less. I got one for free, a 81 "bald top". The guy gave it to me in trade for the rear end out of my 85 fleetwood coupe parts car. He is putting a junk rear end in it, and ill get the car back.

But this one he gave me was gross. a v6, pale yellow BASE BASE BASE model car. Im surprised it didnt have crank windows. I took a few odd parts off and just scrapped the rest. There was NO hope for this car. I wouldnt even get inside it. It was BEAT, Dirty and STUNK of mothballs.

But it was a deleted vinyl top car. I nabbed the rear window stainless though. Same guy that gave it to me has the exact same thing as another parts car. Pale yellow, bare top v6 coupe. i asked if i could gank the window trim, and he said sure.

I personally dont like the look after having one. The whole car was just PLAIN..... looked more like a chevy.

#34 ·
I shipped it to www.car-heaven.com

Im sure its been crushed. It was a shitter. This was the first ever caddy parts car i felt grossed out when sitting in it. It was all beat up outside, and just plain un-sanitary inside. Moldy ect..

Find yourself a nice coupe and just take the top off. I got the stainless trim for the exterior.

Though the rear glass looks different, along wiht the inside trim, and i wasnt up for getting in the back seat of that car without a full body suit.

No problem Mr. Geezer, he may even have some out. I saw a couple odd coupe doors just sitting around. Though they were banged up and rusty. I know my 85 parts car they are shot. Though my 81, mint. I assume becasue that was garaged for the last 12 or so years.

Ill let you know when i go back to get my car one day this upcomming week.

:highfive:
Anthony-

#37 ·
I usually dont have issues up here with them on parts cars.

Most of mine are good. Its down south they go bad.

I got to odd examples. My 81, garaged car for more then half its life, 86k miles, they are bad. Actually only one is in the back, Totaly falling apart. Then i have a 91 Brougham parts car, 226k never seen a garage miles. They are mint.

Both new england cars.

So what are the plans for the 81??

#38 ·
Geez, I wouldn't write it off for the engine. You could get the history on this car. One owner, you know.

And no doubt it has been well cared for. The trick to longevity on these HT4100's. I have always liked the lines on the last of the RWD Coupe deVilles. Post or no post.

I had an '84 CDV very similar to this one. It was a good car.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.