: Where to find new camshafts?

93greeneldo
03-07-08, 12:20 PM
I have a 1995 aurora and need a new camshaft that drives the water pump. My water pump siezed and when it did it broke the end that drives it off the camshaft. Nobody local has one in their junkyard and my deal cannot find a new one. Does anybody here have one they might want to sell? Could I use a camshaft off of a 4.6? If so, which motor would work? Any leads is appreciated.

AJxtcman
03-07-08, 01:57 PM
I have a 1995 aurora and need a new camshaft that drives the water pump. My water pump siezed and when it did it broke the end that drives it off the camshaft. Nobody local has one in their junkyard and my deal cannot find a new one. Does anybody here have one they might want to sell? Could I use a camshaft off of a 4.6? If so, which motor would work? Any leads is appreciated.

The camshaft is the same as a 4.6L VIN Y 275hp

I will look for a new one at a supplier I have

93greeneldo
03-11-08, 03:18 AM
any leads? anyone?

AJxtcman
03-11-08, 08:32 AM
any leads? anyone?

I have to call today.

93greeneldo
03-13-08, 02:52 AM
any results?

AJxtcman
03-13-08, 08:21 AM
any results?

YES I got an answer.
I called a major supplier. When I was at the facility a couple of years ago they had 4'X4'x4' bins full of raw cams. This is a performance manufacturing company that I thought was mostly making SBC parts, but I saw a full bins labeled Isuzu and another labeled Mits.
I called a few days ago and talked to a new guy. He said NO we don't do Northstar cams. :mad:

I called back yesterday and asked to talk to the other guy that had been there for years. :rolleyes: I was transferred to John Steely:thumbsup:
I asked him for his email address and sent him all the cam specs that I have listed.

I have a source for used cams (scrap). I asked if they can be reground if they don't have any or a source for new cores.

Sorry for the delay. I had lost Johns email address. I have to get cams for my car before I stick the blower on.

If they don't do them now can I talk them into making them? hmm

Maybe the new guy did not know that they have some.

I will hear back from John this morning. He has always been good like that. He made up some GM 2.2L "cam in block/non ecotec" circle track cams for me on the spot. Three days from design to my door.

AJxtcman
03-13-08, 08:23 AM
GM cams are like $400 to $500 correct?
The race cam I had him build for me cost $175 including shipping.

93greeneldo
03-13-08, 04:23 PM
Im really looking for more like a used cam to save money. I am going to start putting new or reground parts on the car i mine as well replace the engine as it will be cheaper. Anyone have a wrecked car or a blown motor they want to sell parts off of?

tateos
03-13-08, 05:18 PM
I see entire cylinder heads on e-bay for cheap sometimes

93greeneldo
03-15-08, 03:29 AM
I have been looking there but as of yet I havent found anything. Is there anybody in the southeast wisconsin area that has a blown engine or dead engine that i can beg borrow or steal a camshaft off. I have to go to detroit next week, anybody in that area? any junkyards where their might be one of these cars in?

dkozloski
03-15-08, 04:14 AM
There's a million of them to choose from at www.car-part.com for $75 or less. What's the problem?

chubbyranger
03-15-08, 10:52 AM
I searched on camshafts this morning and there was no listings. Not that there are no N*, there's plenty but I would not be surprised if most yards do not want to put the time into pulling them because its a bitch of a job unless the motor is out. I expect they also may only part down cooked motors - with the demand for N* it many be a rare thing.

93greeneldo
03-15-08, 06:37 PM
Thanks for showing me that car part website, for some i couldnt find it before, there are a bunch listed now i just gotta get one pulled off for me. On a side note, my mechanic said it would only be three hours or so to swap the camshaft, is he right< i was planning on doing it myself, or am i getting in over my head?

AJxtcman
03-15-08, 10:14 PM
Thanks for showing me that car part website, for some i couldnt find it before, there are a bunch listed now i just gotta get one pulled off for me. On a side note, my mechanic said it would only be three hours or so to swap the camshaft, is he right< i was planning on doing it myself, or am i getting in over my head?

Did you get my PM?

93greeneldo
03-17-08, 09:25 PM
ya but havent called yet been busy, gotta go to detroit to pivk up another car. any comments on the degree of difficulty replacing the camshaft?

AJxtcman
03-17-08, 09:30 PM
ya but havent called yet been busy, gotta go to detroit to pivk up another car. any comments on the degree of difficulty replacing the camshaft?

I do this all day long so I am not the one to ask.

tateos
03-17-08, 09:55 PM
Easy, easy, easy. Just need the tool to remove the pulley - wait - it's already off along with the end of the camshaft? OK, you will still have to use the same tool to press it out. Then, use the tool to press the pulley onto the new camshaft. Also need the tool to keep the tensioners retracted. Maybe replace the camshaft cover seals? That's it.

AJxtcman
03-18-08, 07:36 AM
Easy, easy, easy. Just need the tool to remove the pulley - wait - it's already off along with the end of the camshaft? OK, you will still have to use the same tool to press it out. Then, use the tool to press the pulley onto the new camshaft. Also need the tool to keep the tensioners retracted. Maybe replace the camshaft cover seals? That's it.

That is what I was thinking.

93greeneldo if you are not too far away I may have time to lend a hand if needed

93greeneldo
03-18-08, 02:21 PM
I live in milwaukee but the car is in sheboygan, any help is appreciated and id be willing to pay a little to get it all done. when i get the camshaft ill update or pm people and see if they can help. Im guessing i just need a pulley puller for the water pump? but i am not sure about the tensioner toool. my auto parts stores here are pretty dumbn when it comes to special tool especially for the northstar cars i have owned.

tateos
03-18-08, 02:51 PM
You need a special tool from SPX to hold the chain and tensioners in place - it's over $100 - maybe closer to $200 - someone else will post the part #, I'm sure