: '95 Eldorado 12+ Switched

NAFTA
03-07-08, 12:32 AM
I just put in a aftermarket stereo which only goes on when the car is on and is off as soon as the car is off and keeps no memory what so ever. on my harness i tested the wires and the yellow one comes at as a constant 12 volt at around 14.4 volts, i have the orange/black as my accessory right now since when the car is on it hit's around 14.4 volts like the orange and the black is ground like always. i have the speakers wired seperatly with my own wire and dont use the antenna(which i unpluged) since i only listen to CDs. How and with what can i connect to my switched 12v/accessory on my CD player so that it keeps memory and stays on when i turn off the car ? I was thinking maybe hotwire the switched 12 volt to the constant and when i want to turn it off take off the face plate ? anyone ? thanks in advance

OffThaHorseCEO
03-08-08, 08:27 PM
to keep memory, the 12v wire on the headunit (usually yellow) should go to the yellow wire on your car, and the red wire on the unit should go to the orange/black which you say is acc aka switched. if this isnt working id recommend checking out your headunit.

as far as your unit staying on even when the car itself is off, the only way to do this would be to use both the red and yellow wires on the headunit with the yellow wire on the car (12v constant). the downside of this is that youd have a constant draw on the battery and could end up with a dead (needs charging) battery if you werent careful

NAFTA
03-09-08, 05:36 AM
thanks i'm going to try to hotwire both the accessory and the power to the constant on the car and see what happens. when i want to turn off the cd player, i just take out the face plate either way so i'm guessin with no face plate its not draining any energy.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-09-08, 03:40 PM
tru, good to be in the habit of that too, ive had a couple of headunits stolen that could have been avoided by taking the faceplate with me.

let me know how it goes...

NAFTA
03-09-08, 08:33 PM
so the other day, i hotwired the constant and the switched from the stereo to the car's constant, and when i open the door it turns off again. i turn it back on and it still doens't remeber anything. i can turn it on when there is no key in the car, but when i start the car or turn it off it turns off. you might as well just leave it plugged in the way it's supposed to if you're concerned about the memory since either way it wont keep it. if you want to play music when the car is off then you can hotwire the cables and it will work.