: Smoke coming out of spark plug?????

rollerz70
05-20-04, 08:57 PM
I just got my '81 Sedan DeVille home today! There are only a few things wrong with the car, I only paid $400 for it though so I'm not mad. After I got it home I popped the hood to see if there was anything going wrong in under the hood. The only thing I noticed was there was a little bit of smoke coming from around a spark plug. It's on the drivers side, and second closest to the firewall. It's not a lot of smoke, just a little. I haven't got time today to take it out and see if there's oil on the spark plug, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea's I'd really appericate it. Thanks. Oh also both the passenger side doors won't open from either the inside or outside. How do I get them open to figure out why there not working right? Thanks again.

lux hauler
05-20-04, 10:51 PM
Don't really have any ideas on the doors (unless you can get the interior panel off) but on the smoke......I'd say the valve cover is probably leaking oil on to the plug.

MMNineInchNails
05-21-04, 02:02 AM
Are you positive it's coming from the spark plug? Maybe it's some odd exhaust leak that looks like it's coming from the spark plug.

rollerz70
05-21-04, 10:15 AM
It's coming from around the base of the spark plug. There is a small amount of oil by the plug. Today I am going to take the plug out and look further into it. I'm sure that I can figure it out today. Thanks.

elwesso
05-21-04, 05:49 PM
I would assume its the valve covers leaking a tad bit. I wouldnt worry about it much, IMHO.

The doors: Something is obviously broken. Only way to find out is to take off the door panel and see what you can do.....

TheCanadianWannabe
05-24-04, 11:48 PM
The same thing happened to the drivers door on my 68 Sedan Deville. Because the panels are not very fun to get off the doors when they're closed what I ended up doing was just spending a half hour with a coat hanger trying to feel where the lock rod was and pulling up every time I felt something. In case you've never jimmied a car door, you just slide the coat hanger (or slim jim) down along the window glass on the outside of the door just above the key cylinder. If you're using a coat hanger, just cut off the part where it was twisted together and bend the end into a very small (1/4 in.) hook or L shape. The doors are obviously locked if they don't open, so try and snake something in there to undo the lock right where it hooks up to the door-strike. It worked for me. Or you can just call a locksmith :) but I think you can handle it. If anybody has anything else to add as far as jimming car doors goes, I'm all ears/eyes. As for the plugs, I'm sure that's not actually where the smoke is coming from. Good Luck.