: Best box for W6's????

1badazzsts
03-06-08, 07:58 PM
I have two 12 inch jl audio W6's the 4 ohm ones. i will be hooking them up to a class D mono amp that is 650 watts rms and 1300 peak. I am debating on eiether building a box or just buying one. What would be best for these subs, Ported or sealed? Also should i get a box for the exact specs as far as air space or should i give them a little more or less air space? One other thing they should have thier own air space right?? Thanks for any help.

pearlwhite
03-07-08, 09:51 AM
sealed

ryansts
03-07-08, 10:56 AM
I would go with sealed as well, especially if you're not experienced with car audio. Build your own box out of at least.75" mdf and you should probably brace it and/or double up the face where the woofers will be mounted. Most prefab ebay boxes people like to get are junk as they are only 5/8" glued together particle board that wouldn't do those W6s any justice. Build the box to the volume JL recommends. There are a number of online calculators that will help you do this. Be sure to factor in the driver displacement. Another good thing about building your own box is that you can optimize the dimensions of the box so you lose as little trunk space as possible while still maintaining the correct volume. I would recommend that they have their own airspace, but some people would argue that this is unnecessary.

1badazzsts
03-08-08, 12:11 AM
thanks for the help i have decide to build my own. my moms boyfriend is gana help me. he has a wood shop with everything you could possibly need to build a perfect box. thanks for the help.