: Please don't flame the noob...codes and problem

derck_mullin
03-05-08, 11:28 PM
:worship:OK,

First I'd like to say this place is a wealth of info and I've searched and I've very versed in tuning, codes, etc but some of these have me puzzled.

This is my first Caddy and (please no flames) but I got it as a beater. I just got a 94 STS w/ (no kidding) 265K miles on it. I have the rough idle/part throttle stumble issue. I blasted the TB today w/cleaner and it seemed to help some...

Decided to go pull codes...OK here we go:
P026H
P053H
P071H
P074H
P109H
I052H
NO ACP
NO SIR
T083H
S044H
S061H

And that does it. No CEL and all the codes are history ones. Should I just disconnect the batt to reset or does it matter? Most cars I've played with you usually reset the batt after a mod, but not sure if these codes will clear and I don't think cleaning the TB counts...

Also I don't think I have first gear...

I've done some searching but the two don't seem related so I'm looking for some help.

Thanks!

Derck

zonie77
03-06-08, 01:05 PM
Clear them and recheck after you drive it.

Ranger
03-06-08, 04:04 PM
What do you mean by "blasted the TB"? You need to get in there and scrub it clean. On a '94, you also need to remove the manifold cover and clean out the EGR ports aka "mouse holes".

derck_mullin
03-06-08, 08:05 PM
Blasted meant using a BUNCH of cleaner, but I didn't take it off. I'll plan on doing that. I'll also look up the routine for the other.

Thanks a bunch.

Cleared the codes this morning and none have returned as of yet...

Derck

derck_mullin
03-08-08, 08:04 PM
OK,

I cleared all of the codes. P053 and S061 appeared today. I dropped the car into first and accelerated from a stop. The car did start in first gear, but shortly after the CEL came on and those two codes were the ones that had reappeared. I'll do some more searching, but could either of these cause the stumble?

Thanks

Derck

Ranger
03-08-08, 08:19 PM
S061 ............................................. Right Front Position Sensor Fault
Suspension code. Will not cause a stumble.

P053 (E053) ........................................... Distributor Signal Interrupt
This one is a likely cause.

derck_mullin
03-08-08, 08:28 PM
Ranger,

Thanks for the quick reply.

P053 (E053) ........................................... Distributor Signal Interrupt

Actually it was a 53, not a 51. Possible cause of the stumble?

Also, what sensor is out and do folk normally replace them or not worry about it? Really I don't have a huge concern as to whether the car starts off is 1st or 2nd.

Thanks

derck_mullin
03-08-08, 08:56 PM
Easy fix or not so much?

Ranger
03-08-08, 08:56 PM
I corrected my previous post for the proper DTC.

Pull the RF wheel and you should see the position sensor. It should have a link connecting it to the suspension if it is the one I am thinking of.

The distributor signal problem should be relatively easy once you figure out what is causing it. I'm not sure what to tell you there.

derck_mullin
03-08-08, 09:07 PM
Saw the edit. I'll have to pull the wheel and take a look.

I'm still thinking maybe that the distributor code could be caused by bad wires. Seems that helps most folks and mine look pretty old. I think I'll plan on new plugs and wires shortly and go from there.

Thanks and I'll also do the EGR cleaning and pull the TB and clean it just to be sure.

Ranger
03-08-08, 09:59 PM
No need to pull the TB to clean it. just remove the ducting and block the throttle plate open. Spray it with TB cleaner, scrub with a toothbrush and wipe it with a rag till clean.

derck_mullin
03-08-08, 10:43 PM
Pretty much covers the "blasted" post from earlier...haven't had time to look closely, but shouldn't the IACV be pulled and cleaned as well?

Ranger
03-08-08, 10:57 PM
The '94 does not have an IAC valve. It has an ISC motor that controls the idle. You'll see it mounted on the side of the TB with a plunger that pushes on the throttle lever.

Ranger
03-08-08, 11:03 PM
In rereading this thread, you have a Northstar (no distributor). With that mileage, you may be due for plugs & wires (depending on when they where last done).

derck_mullin
03-09-08, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking plugs and wires would be a good thing. I'm gonna try the mouse holes and a basic tune up. I've been moving into our new house so I haven't had too much time to get all of my facts straight with this motor yet although I do know it doesn't have a distributor. I'll have to read up on what triggers the coils to fire...

I'm gonna do some more reading, change out the plugs and wires and see if it throws any more codes.

Thanks again.

Ranger
03-09-08, 04:58 PM
Coils are controlled by the ICM (Ignition Control Module) under them.