: Factory Wheels vs aftermarket

docbuckeye
03-05-08, 12:12 PM
I do not understand why factory wheels can go through a winter season, while the aftermarket rims would pit and rust...what is the difference here...I want to get 22's and I like the factory look of the 07s but my question is do I need to take the oem wheels off for Ohio winter like I always did in past for aftermarket wheels?
I have an 05 ESV I believe the 07 22's will fit....??????

JD001249
03-05-08, 12:27 PM
I think a lot of the wheel manufacturers use cheap chrome or do not apply it correctly. I just got my 22's installed last week and already see issues, I have to contact the manufacturer. I think if you clean them after driving in the salt and keep a good wax on the wheels you will be ok to keep them on year around. My Dad keeps his 20's on his Escalade year around and has not had any pitting issues and his is an 02. I am in Missouri so we see quite a bit of the same salt and snow as you do, although this winter has been terrible, just got hit with a foot of snow yesterday! I believe the 2007 wheels will fit just fine with no issues.

docbuckeye
03-05-08, 12:34 PM
thanks for the reply...Foot of snow...ouch...we got lucky only rain here but North of us got hit with ice

JD001249
03-05-08, 12:36 PM
Most snow I have ever seen in my life living here. :) Needless to say, my Escalade has been in the garage since Sunday, I doubt it will get driven for the next few days. I have a crappy old Toyota that I drive most of the time to keep my truck clean and keep the miles down.

hcvone
03-05-08, 01:39 PM
It really varies with wheels, keeping them clean and waxed will help, and getting the salt off them as soon as possible, these things help a lot. If your chrome wheels goes thru a 3 step process of copper, nickle and chrome they will hold up well, but many manufacturers only apply one coat, or do not prep the wheels correctly before plating them. I have customers with one your old factory wheels that the chrome is flaking off, I have other customers with 8k Asanti wheels and after less than two winters they look like they are 20 years old, could not give them away. I have other customers with 5 year old wheels that still look new because they take care of them. I take off my 22's and 24's and put stock chrome 18's on for the winter, drive thousands of miles thru snow salt and ice and my winter wheels look great.

DLE
03-05-08, 02:06 PM
Like the above guys said, it depends on the manufacturer and how they chrome plate it. Some manufacturers are cheap and only apply one coat (to save them money), as others do it the right way.

I live in the NW, where it rains most of the time and snow only in winter and I take my 24s off (just to be safe) and put on stock wheels during winter.