: What do you think of this? ECU Modifier

foos
03-05-08, 10:12 AM
http://www.nextlevelracing.com/index.html

Let me know what you think of it.. I e-mailed them because I'm really skeptical about some of the things they say on the site. I'm waiting for them to send me detailed diagrams of everywhere this thing plugs in and what it does.

Submariner409
03-05-08, 11:04 AM
What car, year, model, mileage and engine are you considering for destruction?

You have to cut individual sensor wiring in order to splice in the box(es) and PCM-controlled Cadillacs do not take kindly to that sort of abuse, and remember that some of those sensor wiring loops also carry serial data to/from the PCM, so you stand a very good chance of screwing something up.

The boxes are basically resistor combinations which modify sensor signals to the PCM. Not just under certain conditions, but all the time. To modify timing you would have to splice 2 into the CKP and cam circuits, and if the knock sensor "heard" the onset of detonation it would then retard the (modified) timing back to square 1, so you would then have to modify the knock sensor signal, and on, and on, and on.

Forget it. (We tried the $99.95 box on a MSD6A fired Olds 455 HEI setup for a boat. No dice. Fried the MSD)

foos
03-05-08, 11:10 AM
Yea that's what I thought but how are they selling things if they don't work? I have a 99 STS I want to try something on but obviously don't want to fry it! :P

Submariner409
03-05-08, 11:26 AM
There are ways to modify signals from some ECU's and PCM's, and the NextLevelRacing approach is one of them. BUT, my car and your car flat don't like that type of signal modification.

Our PCM programs are pretty sophisticated, so it takes some black magic to change signal parameters. AJxtcman, in here, is the one person who is experimenting with Cadillac PCM re-tuning. He's done some good work, but it's still in the experimental stages.

Why hasn't Edelbrock, MSD, Mondello, MOROSO, Taylor already done a Northstar PCM reflash? Too many models of too little numbers for a profitable return for R&D. Or to put it another way, there are a LOT of black boxes around for 5.0L Mustangs........but not for Sevilles.

AJxtcman
03-05-08, 12:58 PM
Can you comprehend what it does and how it does it?

foos
03-05-08, 02:27 PM
I can comprehend exactly what it does and how it does it :) But I want to know what sensors it hooks up to and get a diagram from them. At risk of divulging too much about my background, I do know a lot about physics and electrical systems along with computers.

codewize
03-14-08, 09:01 AM
Our PCM's are not like ECU's in a Honda. It's a total power-train control not just a bunch of sensor reading. There's far more to an N* PCM than that. Most people can't even begin to imagine the parameters controlled by these things. Things like, ohhh abuse control. Would you ever think there was something called abuse control. LOL me either but there is.

CadillacSTS42005
03-14-08, 11:44 AM
or "cammel mode"