: Steering Groan

Merckx
03-04-08, 07:44 PM
The steering on my 2001 Catera groans when making sharp turns....The car has 49,000 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced this?

elvin315
03-04-08, 09:01 PM
Check the power steering fluid level.

Merckx
03-05-08, 10:11 PM
I don't have a manual handy...What kind od power steering fluid does a 2001 Catera take?

And when I removed the cap,I sat the cap had two gradations underneath...but no markings..when I peered down the small tank,it appeared to be towards the bottom...how much fluid should i put in?

elvin315
03-05-08, 10:20 PM
Go to page 6/24-25

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2001catera.pdf

Elvin

Merckx
03-05-08, 10:43 PM
I found those two pages online, but on pg 25,it advises to consult a separate book to find out what kind of fluid it takes. I thought being a German-sourced car,it might take a non-GM standard fluid...do you know what it takes? But thanks;I now know how to read the dipstick...

CateraMV6
03-06-08, 11:46 AM
Actually I dont think it takes regular power steering fluid, in fact it takes ATF... stuff and I made the mistake of adding some PS fluid and now mine makes strange wining sounds when I turn when its cold... too late for that thou...

just find out which ATF kind it needs and use that..

TitanCTS
03-06-08, 07:30 PM
Dexron III Trans fluid is the correct type to use... It's hydraulic oil.. If you look carefully the steering fluid is red.. Not dark brown like most other domestics or green like Europeans.. I experienced a very minor groan today... Took the cap off the steering reservoir to find low fluid and air bubbles been drawn in...I found the hoses leading out of the reservoir to be seeping because the clamps are loose...(Don't forget that power steering fluid generally evaporates over time.. So if your down on fluid that doesn't necessarily mean that there is a leak) Make sure the hoses leading out of of the reservoir are tight and your good to go and make sure that the fluid is filled to the max level and you should be fine.. Hope that helps...

blue_wrx2003
03-06-08, 09:18 PM
Dexron III Trans fluid is the correct type to use... It's hydraulic oil.. If you look carefully the steering fluid is red.. Not dark brown like most other domestics or green like Europeans.. I experienced a very minor groan today... Took the cap off the steering reservoir to find low fluid and air bubbles been drawn in...I found the hoses leading out of the reservoir to be seeping because the clamps are loose...(Don't forget that power steering fluid generally evaporates over time.. So if your down on fluid that doesn't necessarily mean that there is a leak) Make sure the hoses leading out of of the reservoir are tight and your good to go and make sure that the fluid is filled to the max level and you should be fine.. Hope that helps...

would removing the hose be possible? and if so, would this be a good way to drain the power steering fluid?

rinverso
03-06-08, 09:31 PM
hope to god its not the pump....big bucks......you need to update the hydraulic hoses than also. mine had the same problem last year. it was more of a wine not a groan. good luck.:eek:

TitanCTS
03-07-08, 09:03 AM
would removing the hose be possible? and if so, would this be a good way to drain the power steering fluid?

Well if your looking to change the fluid then siphon out the old fluid from the reservoir and fill it up again while the car is running(do this several times until no more dirty fluid can be seen)... But i dont see the need to drain the system if there are no parts to be replaced. You'll just create a big mess if you remove the hoses and drain it out.